First timers

dickymint25

When you check in, you will receive a Celebrity Today newsletter. There will often be a ship's tour that takes place that afternoon. It is free and led by a crew member. We have done them and they will take you to some of the key areas on the ship. Staff will answer questions for you as well.

We always do our own ship tour on each new ship. We start on the lowest deck, tour the deck from one end to the other, then go up a deck. Yes, we walk by lots of cabins but I find it really helps me get my bearings to do the whole deck.

Plus, sometimes we find cool things along the way.

When you check in (inside th departure terminal) you'll receive your key card in a small pouch. There's a foldout map of the ship inside of the pouch. You can use this to get your bearings.

On each deck, adjacent to the elevators, there's a ship's map/directory that tells you where you are and what features are on on each deck.

Both suggestions above by the OPs are excellent advice. Have fun exploring. Of all the brands, I think Celebirty ships are easiest to navigate. Some brands, e.g., Carnival and others, have weird layouts that are confusing. Celbrity's ships, both S and M class, are laid out very nicely.

We still get turned around after many cruises. Once you figure out which way is forward and which way is aft, then decide which side of the ship you are on, port or starboard, you'll be set.

We still get turned around after many cruises. Once you figure out which way is forward and which way is aft, then decide which side of the ship you are on, port or starboard, you'll be set.

Here's a little hint to help. If the cabins are odd numbers you're on Port (left) and Even numbers are on Starboard (right). If you're looking out a window, the wake will indicate which direction you're going since the bow is obviously forward (front). :)

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the ship deck plans long before you board. In the search option on cruise critic, type in the name of your ship and the words deck plans. You will have the opportunity to explore each deck on your ship and will arrive at check in with a sense that you have some idea where you are going. Also, you may be able to find some long ship reviews that have many pictures included. Since you are on the Reflection, search for posts that offer comments about the ship and the ports visited in the Mediterranean.

Edited by rose6
Correction

If you are interested in a more detailed tour (Behind-the-Scenes/Inside Access), check at the Guest Services desk to see if this tour will be offered on your sailing. There is a fee, but DH and I took this tour on the Equinox and felt it was worth every penny.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by MarKay525

We are first timers on Celebrity Reflection this summer on an eastern med cruise.

Does Celebrity offer any kind of meeting for first timers or ship tours.

When you check in, you will receive a Celebrity Today newsletter. There will often be a ship's tour that takes place that afternoon. It is free and led by a crew member. We have done them and they will take you to some of the key areas on the ship. Staff will answer questions for you as well.

For first timers, we agree with keesar that it is preferable to take a free guided tour on the first day because you have a guide right there with you to give you helpful tips and answer all your questions as you go along.

We always do our own ship tour on each new ship. We start on the lowest deck, tour the deck from one end to the other, then go up a deck. Yes, we walk by lots of cabins but I find it really helps me get my bearings to do the whole deck.

Plus, sometimes we find cool things along the way.

This is what I like to do on new ships as well. I save walking by trying to skip some of the cabins, but like you end up walking past a bunch!

While not a first timer cruiser, I will be sailing for the first time on the Reflection and since it has been a few years since I sailed my previous cruise, I like a primer to remember all the deck plans and features.

I am finding the Ship Mate app the easiest way to refer to deck plans. You can zoom in easily. You can load your own cruise with a countdown clock, itinerary links, photos, reviews. And I just learned that while your own cruise needs an Internet connection to load, you can still view deckplans without internet if you go through the Cruise Ship icon and select your ship.

I am thinking this will be more handy onboard than folding over the maps or searching for the section of the ship at the elevators. I like to walk through the public areas when changing decks instead of walking through the room corridors and so plan my route even if I go up or down one or two floors to do that! Not only do I get to enjoy the beauty and the art of the ship more this way, but love the serendipity of 'finding' entertainment that I hadn't expected.

Note: on all my previous 4 cruises I have stayed in the forward sections, which leads to a tendency to the long corridor walls if you use the mid-ship elevators/stairs. I learned to avoid those by walking to the forward elevators/stairs through the public decks so I could enjoy the interesting spaces more. However, then you miss enjoying the interesting spaces on each deck at the mid-ship elevators such as the library and hideaway. Then you have to plan your visits to see those!

I am looking forward to a mid-ship location on my upcoming cruise as I am sure it will be a different experience navigating! Whether I am discombobulated ( is that a real word?!) or not remains to be seen!

Edited by JenZ