Walking and climbing Xunantunich ruins

75snow

We will be in Belize in a few weeks and am considering this tour. However, my knees do not like to do too many steps. Can this site be fully enjoyed and appreciated without having to do a lot of climbing? Also considering the Altan Ha tour instead.

Thanks in advance you for your comments.

Scott

There is a hill to walk up in order to get to the ruins, other then that you do not have to climb the ruins, and there are no more stairs. The hill is steeper than it looks in the picture, but it's a gradual climb. Hope that helps.

ImageUploadedByForums1458494934.649038.jpg.81306069e451fe97b764131d392d568f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1458494860.277740.jpg.121f4deadf6738649a13b166a07fcf33.jpg

Altun Ha would be easier on the knees. No climbing. Shorter walk from parking lot to ruins. But at either site you can stand in the middle of the ceremonial grounds and walk around and see all the structures. You'll just miss the vistas from on top of the temples.

• 2 weeks later...

The temperature is 10 degrees warmer than the coast. It was in the 90s when we toured. A gentleman got heat stroke on top of the ruin and had to be carried down by four men. The ruins are tall, natural stone steps that are narrow and steep in places. No railings. I would not recommend for people with balance problems, vertigo, knee or hip issues, fear of heights, pregnant, or do not tolerate heat. If content to look and not climb, than you might want to consider. Still have to climb a hill to get to the complex. The ruins are impressive, I just want you to be practical and safe. Lamanai ruins are not as tall but have a railing and steps on back side. Still get natural photo from front but safer to get to the top and less damage to structure. Colony of howler monkeys at Lamanai. You will enjoy both, I would be cautious about climbing the ruins with knee problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for their reply and the information. Unfortunately, my wife got very sick just before we were to leave for the airport and we ended up canceling our cruise just a few hours before we were scheduled to board. Hopefully, we'll be able to reschedule.