Cave Tubing and Claustrophobia

limboman

We're scheduled to be in Belize on the Legend of the Seas in December. I'd really like to do the cave tubing, but my SO has read the descriptions and doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm for this excursion. She is mildly claustrophobic and is afraid she'd freak out in floating in the water in the middle of a pitch-dark cave. Has anyone else experienced issues w/ claustrophobia while cave tubing?

The caves are quite large and the ceiling is high, so I wouldn't call it claustrophobic. However, they are actually darker than I expected. There are a few holes where light comes in, but there are also many parts with no light at all except for the light the little headlamps provide (which are almost totally ineffectual for anything other than spotting your fellow floaters in front of you). So, if it is closed spaces that are scary...probably not a problem. But, if it is dark that is the problem, it could be. I agree that hooking up with a buddy is comforting and helpful.

I second what the other posters have said... I'm not sure if claustrophobia would be a problem, but being scared of the dark might. Even though you're enclosed in the cave systems, there's plenty of room... the ceilings and walls are never very close together to where you might feel cramped. However, there are sections where you can't see the entrance or exit, and if you turn off your headlamp, you'll be in complete darkness.

I think she'd be okay with it, especially if everyone stays hooked together so she never feels like she's on her own. Also, if you do a tour with a private company, maybe you could mention your concerns to the tour guide and he can stick with her as much as possible to reassure her.

We just did this excursion last week with Wet & Wild, I don't regret it at all. I was a little worried about the clautrophobia too, but I had no problem at all. We travelled with 20 family members in total ranging from 8-55, some of the group hated it, others loved it. Those that hated it didn't like the dark and were just plan scared, but take into account I am talking about my 3 nieces who pretty much complained about EVERYTHING!! Our tour guides Randy & Roberto were wonderful, they stuck with those that were afraid and god bless them for trying to keep an eye on all 20 of us, they did a wonderful job. The hike through the jungle was great, didn't really seem that long, Randy & Roberto would stop & point things out, it was a lot of fun. After the cave tubing we went for lunch, I can't remember

the name of the place put it was right there, truly wonderful meal, diffently a hightlight of our trip. I think it is something you should try at least once if you are truly considering it, I don't think you will regret it.

We will be on Explorer next year and some in the group want to do this excursion .. I am not claustrophobic but deathly afraid of snakes so the jungle walk is my main concern? I know there are snakes in the tropics but poisonous or not makes no diff. in the "fear factor":eek:

Caroline

The jungle hike is really not that bad, the only wildlife I saw was a nest of iguanas or some type of lizard, they were quite small, and off the path. My husband said he saw a snake, but not sure if that is true. The paths are pretty

wide, and there is so much traffic through there I doubt you will see anything.

We're scheduled to be in Belize on the Legend of the Seas in December. I'd really like to do the cave tubing, but my SO has read the descriptions and doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm for this excursion. She is mildly claustrophobic and is afraid she'd freak out in floating in the water in the middle of a pitch-dark cave. Has anyone else experienced issues w/ claustrophobia while cave tubing?

Just did it first week of Oct. The celling are high. If she is ok in a dark room of her house tell her to be adventurous

Bob:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Tubed last week with Reggie (regtour.com) It was great, 1/2 price of ship's tour to same place!! The only bats we saw were pointed out to us in a cave along the trail. You only went into the cave if you wanted to see the bats. We saw NO BATS while in the caves- only a big lizard on the cave wall when we ented the cave! Lizard was only creature we saw on whole tour.

Tubed last week with Reggie (regtour.com) It was great, 1/2 price of ship's tour to same place!! The only bats we saw were pointed out to us in a cave along the trail. You only went into the cave if you wanted to see the bats. We saw NO BATS while in the caves- only a big lizard on the cave wall when we ented the cave! Lizard was only creature we saw on whole tour.

We will be on Explorer next year and some in the group want to do this excursion .. I am not claustrophobic but deathly afraid of snakes so the jungle walk is my main concern? I know there are snakes in the tropics but poisonous or not makes no diff. in the "fear factor":eek:

No self-respecting wildlife would be caught dead or alive on the trail when the tubing tours are hiking up it.:D

Strike that, we did see some sort of dead thing that Yhony assured us was not on the menu for lunch.:D I have to admit, though, that I was a little freaked out when everyone turned off their lamps in one of the caves. However, we were a small group of 6 and there were no other people in the cave with us. That didn't happen in the second cave when we caught up with the Carnival tours. The cave was lit up like a disco.

Thanks Bonnie. Maybe I'll convince my wife to try it.

Archived