Corfu in August - Old Town and Beach???

Sunrise-123

I'd like to walk around the old town for a couple of hours then spend a little time at a nearby beach. The ferry to the island of Vidos caught my attention for a little exploring and beach time. Are there other close beaches that anyone would recommend? Anyone been to Vidos? (I recognize that many of the more famous beaches require some travelling time, which I don't think we'll have if we spend time in the old town).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember seeing any sandy beaches in Corfu Town so can't speak to that.

We did, however, walk from the cruise port to Corfu Town, which took approximately 15 to 20 minutes. There is a city bus that runs from the port to the town, but it doesn't seem to run very frequently. Enjoy your trip!

http://CorfuGreece.ca

We went to Corfu on a cruise when our daughters were about 16 and 18. Since we were also in Rome, Florence, and Venice we promised them Corfu would be a beach day. We rented a car (in advance from home) right near the dock and drove across the island to a great beach recommend here on CC. After the beach we had a little time to walk around the old town. The beach is on the other side of the island but only about an easy, and scenic, 30 minute drive. It was a while ago so I don't remember the name of the beach but someone here or on Trip Advisor would know. We had lunch at a restaurant on the beach, swam, enjoyed the sun, and had a great day.

The nearest good beach would be Glyfada but that is the other side of the island and could only really be reached by taxi or hire car. There are some wonderful beaches on Corfu but they are mostly on the north west of the island i.e. Arilas, San Stefanos and Paleokastritsa and are too far from Corfu town.

The nearest good beach would be Glyfada but that is the other side of the island and could only really be reached by taxi or hire car. There are some wonderful beaches on Corfu but they are mostly on the north west of the island i.e. Arilas, San Stefanos and Paleokastritsa and are too far from Corfu town.

any idea how much a taxi from the port to the beach would cost, we are there in june and I like the idea of beach time as well as the old town