Do You Combine Gold & Silver Rings?

tarheelmjfan

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been buying some new jewelry to wear on my Nov. cruise. This includes some silver pieces. I've seen some silver rings that would go well with my necklaces & earrings, but I'm not sure they would look right. My wedding rings are set in gold, & I won't go without them. I'm afraid that mixing the two will look tacky. What do you think? Thanks :)

My wedding set is yellow gold and I always wear it. I've also got a gold bracelet that I wear every day. On days when I want to wear white metals, I change my right hand ring and wear a silver bracelet right alongside my gold one.

No one has pointed and laughed yet. At least not in my presence.

i used to wear gold rings & the rest of the jewelry silver. i've switched to all silver now, but I think it's pretty normal these days to mix your metals. People especially overlook the mixing of metals when you have a wedding set that's different. People don't expect you to go out & get another set just to match some silver hoops & necklace you found.

Like the other posters, I usually wear one item of mixed metals (usually a watch) and then any other jewelry I wear automatically complements it. I also feel that matching is not important; it's the overall look and style. For example, I have vintage copper jewelry that I would never get to wear if all of my other jewelry had to be copper.

I've just always felt that white gold & silver looked cheap.

Interesting. I wore only silver for most of my life, until the last 5 years or so. For one thing, I have a nickel allergy, so all white gold is out (nickel content too high) and anything but sterling silver and 14kt or higher yellow gold, or platinum, is out for me. So sterling has been the mainstay - but I never considered it cheap-looking. In fact, with the color turquoise, which I love, silver is almost mandantory!!

It all depends on what you are wearing and how you wear it.

I hardly ever wear silver because of the upkeep it takes with the polishing, but this summer I saw a pair of earrings in the window of a store when we were on vacation, they were so pretty. Different colored stones, like coral and turquoise and some other different colors, and they were set in silver. They come from New Mexico. I drooled over those earrings. I saw them on the first day when we arrived. Hubby bought them for me and I wear them with my gold witch necklace.

I think it really will depend on what the pieces are. I mix the white gold/platinium and yellow gold no problem just depends on with what I'm wearing or what the pieces are. I don't think there are any set rules.

Archived