The Holland Pass and 24 Hour Public Tranport

We are going to be in Amsterdam for 4 nights, pre-cruise, but are only going to Rijks and perhaps one other museum on this visit (Been to Amsterdam before. ) So we will not need to purchase any pass other than the Small pass. However, we will need to use the Amsterdam public transportation each day at some point during those 4 days to get around in Amsterdam.

We are also taking a private day trip tour out to the windmills, and a train to Belgium on another day trip.

Could someone that has experience with the Holland Pass help me figure out the meaning of the 24H Public Transport.

Does this mean that transport is included in your pass for only a 24 hour period and that we would need to buy a pass for each day we are going to be needing public transport?

Or does it mean that public transport is available 24 hours a day (as in 24/7) and we can use the pass each day of our visit?

What confuses me is that the pass is good for a month after the date of first use.

What type of public transportation is included? Bus, tram, train? :confused:

That's OK, but now I am curious about the answer! :D

Thank you, Ine. What does GVB mean? As in "regional buses", I suppose that means not out to the windmills? What is EBS?

Note: these tickets are only valid in GVB metros, trams, and buses. Thus, these are not valid in the regional buses of Connexxion and EBS or on the train.

I imagine that we will be using the tram most of the time to get into Central Amsterdam. Our apartment is on the 400 block of Overtoom, a few feet from the tram stop and a few more from the bus stop.

GVB is the organisation that runs buses, trams and metro w ithin the Amsterdam area.

So from the airport you need to buy a train tickt.

I am not at home at the koment, will come back to you tomorrow with more and other details.

GVB means Gemeentelijk Vervoer Bedrijf, Muncipal Transport Company. For the city of Amsterdam.

The inter regional busses are Connexxion. Use http://9292.nl/en for planning those trips.

As for the credit cards, indeed almost not accepted in grocery stores but most have a small stand alone ATM (a "PIN automaat") inside (or nearby, street ATM's are very common) for a cash withdraw. Against a some 4-5 Euro fee!

Not sure what price the Rijks tickets are and any fast track benefits that might come with the Holland Pass but also take a look at https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/overige-kaartjes/p/amsterdam-travel-ticket

Which covers more public transport and includes the airport. Of course you will need to buy your Rijks tickets separate so not sure if it's any better. :)

edit; took a quick look at the Holland Pass website, to me it sounds like; either a canal cruise or one full day of public transport. But not sure on which carriers and/or if train is included..

Edited by FreestyleNovice

GVB means Gemeentelijk Vervoer Bedrijf, Muncipal Transport Company. For the city of Amsterdam.

The inter regional busses are Connexxion. Use http://9292.nl/en for planning those trips.

As for the credit cards, indeed almost not accepted in grocery stores but most have a small stand alone ATM (a "PIN automaat") inside (or nearby, street ATM's are very common) for a cash withdraw. Against a some 4-5 Euro fee!

Thanks so much. No wonder I could not figure out the meaning of the initials. :D

Not sure what price the Rijks tickets are and any fast track benefits that might come with the Holland Pass but also take a look at https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/overige-kaartjes/p/amsterdam-travel-ticket

Which covers more public transport and includes the airport. Of course you will need to buy your Rijks tickets separate so not sure if it's any better. :)

edit; took a quick look at the Holland Pass website, to me it sounds like; either a canal cruise or one full day of public transport. But not sure on which carriers and/or if train is included..

Rijks tickets are $19.21. I also found a discount coupon which would take off a couple of $.

OK, I think I will buy the tickets separately and look into the transportation options. Thank you both, again! ;)

PS - One more question. Is it necessary to buy a bus ticket, ahead of time, out to the windmills? What about a train ticket to Antwerp or Brussels?

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks so much. No wonder I could not figure out the meaning of the initials. :D

Rijks tickets are $19.21. I also found a discount coupon which would take off a couple of $.

OK, I think I will buy the tickets separately and look into the transportation options. Thank you both, again! ;)

PS - One more question. Is it necessary to buy a bus ticket, ahead of time, out to the windmills? What about a train ticket to Antwerp or Brussels?

Not for the windmills, nation wide we use a cashless system (top up chip card) for all public transport. Paper tickets are only sold by the bus driver to folks without an "OV Chip Kaart" (OV = Openbaar Vervoer, Public Transport) and even that moment annoys most of them lol.

With the Amsterdam Travel Ticket you will only have to pay the non Amsterdam part of the route.

A return ticket from Amsterdam Centraal station costs 10 Euro at the driver on Connexxion bus 391.

Also found this: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/region-day-ticket which covers all the public transport in Amsterdam and places like Zaanse Schans or the beach at Zandvoort.

To Brussels and Antwerp by train can be done on regular intercity trains (pay at a vending machine) or by indeed booking in advance. Almost all regular tickets aren't limited to a particular time or train but valid whole day and free seating.

By booking in advance you can reserve a seat on a faster train, for example the Thalys. You might land a promo price by booking early.

We will be in Amsterdam for King's day? Do the buses run on a different schedule that day?

Thanks

Yes absolutely. Donot expect any buses or trams in city center. Thousands will be coming to town, which will be turned into a large market that sells about everything.

Only outside the citycenter transport will work, but difficult to tell where exactly and how frequent.

Best is to check the GVB website by that time for details.

Yes absolutely. Donot expect any buses or trams in city center. Thousands will be coming to town, which will be turned into a large market that sells about everything.

Only outside the citycenter transport will work, but difficult to tell where exactly and how frequent.

Best is to check the GVB website by that time for details.

Once again Ine, thank you!!

Sandra