Tips on what to do on the first day of a cruise?

reader135

I read recently that I should sign up for fitness classes the first day. This hadn't occurred to me, and I do want to make sure I am signed up for some, which made me wonder what else needs to be taken care of the first day that I might not know. Any tips? Going on the Constellation in a few weeks. Thanks!

I have found that I have never missed out on anything I wanted to do. That being said, you can always make reservations for the speciality restaurants and for spa treatments. If you change your mind you can always cancel them.

Some people like to go to the dining room and see what table they are sitting at.

What we do is have a nice enjoyable lunch, explore the ship with drink in hand and just get into vacation mode.

Enjoy your cruise

I always check the room to make sure all toiletries, towels, and other cabin things which are supposed to be in the cabin are actually there. I also make sure to introduce myself to the cabin attendant, if they have not found me first, to discuss any thing we need corrected before we sail. Normally everything is ship shape, but once and awhile we have had issues such as dead battery in remote, a missing set of towels, or on one cruise no soap in the bathroom. Easy fixes if you get them identified to the cabin steward up front. Happy cruising! Bob and Linda

We usually get to the port early, so among the first to get on. We go to the buffet for lunch. When lunch is finished, we usually check out the Main Dining Room; I like to know where my table is. It stops confusion for dinner. After that, I head to the library to gather some reading material for the week. By this time, the rooms are ready. We head to our room, I do a little dance on the balcony. Then, we explore the ship, taking pictures, until it is time for the Muster Drill.

We will book a Specialty Restaurant and then head up to meet with our cabin steward. We also sign up for craft/art classes at that time. We also will take a ship's tour if one is available that afternoon. That is a good way to meet staff, other cruisers and also to see the ship.

Then, like many others, we pick out a chair for the week by the pool and put items on the chair . ;) Just kidding!