Anyone ever made a phone call on The Freedom?

Traveling Gma

We are going on Carnival Freedom out of Galveston. I need to know if anyone has ever made a call on their cell phone back to the United States or on the ship's phone. Did it work? Was it clear? Can you make a call on "At Sea" days or only in port? I will be needing to call my work....thanks!

I think the current rate for using the cabin phone is $1.99/minute. If you use your cell phone, it may be much higher because you will be using the cellular at sea (with roaming charges) unless you are in a port. Plus, those data charges are sneaky and you may be hit with a big bill when you get home even if you weren't "actively" using your phone.

Since they have changed the data packages (much cheaper than previously), we have found that it's much cheaper for us to put our phones in airplane mode and use either texts or emails.

Yes. The phone in the cabin works, is clear, easy to use, and $1.99/minute. There is a delay between when one party speaks and the other hears because it is over a satellite, but the same is true with cell phones on cruise ships. You quickly get used to it. We had to make two emergency calls on the last cruise and I think each ran about $20 but were worth it. It certainly worked at sea. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I usually have to check in with the office the day before we return, and I always use the cabin phone. Much cheaper than the the cell, especially if you forget to switch back to airplane mode!!

And you do get a breakdown showing the call and charges on your sail n sign invoice if you need to have it for expense report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by troublemaker256

Was on Ecstasy last November and made 2 quick calls per day (morning and evening) to my kids back home. Calls were clear and I was relieved it worked as well as it did. Before that cruise I bought a package with Skype thinking the phone calls thru skype would work and the internet on the boat was not having it! Got a bill for about $80 at the end and it was worth it for my piece of mind!

We are going on Carnival Freedom out of Galveston. I need to know if anyone has ever made a call on their cell phone back to the United States or on the ship's phone. Did it work? Was it clear? Can you make a call on "At Sea" days or only in port? I will be needing to call my work....thanks!

I used my cabin phone to call NY on the Glory several times in January and February during a 21 day sailing. Verizon didn't have service in a few of the ports and a few times I was at sea.

Calls worked fine, I was properly charged, and it showed up on my S&S account via the TV so I had no surprises at the end of the cruise.

If you have to call work, you can print out the charges and get re-imbursed, if you choose.

DH needs to connect with the office at least twice a day. If he couldn't we couldn't take vacations.

Really appreciated the fact that the charges were broken down. Unanswered and busy signals were billed $0.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...from the phone in my stateroom.

I realized last year on the Inspiration that while leaving a really brief message on my husband's voicemail that was under a minute, I wasn't charged. I tried again a few times and while every call was logged in my folio, I was not charged for those really short calls...

So...last week on the Dream, I told my husband that I was gonna touch base as often as possible but all the calls would be under a minute! :D

Believe it or not, in 7 days, I only had to pay 3.98 for 2 actual logged minutes! I find this an impossible feat realized since I NEVER SHUT UP!

Keep 'em short and you'll save a ton of money! :)

I have. BUT it was a call using FB Messenger. We had the social media internte plan and it was all included in that charge... FREE is good right? It was super delayed though but something I could live with.