Back to back...never book as one cruise!

lakelivin2

I'm booked on the Jade b2b Europe and shore excursions are showing up in my NCL.

Last year I booked same cruise as two separate because the price was about the same but I received double perks so I could mix and match. Took $200 obc and udp for all in cabin one leg with grats and then second leg took different perks. This year I booked as one cruise vs the b2b because price was much lower when I booked and perks don't have the same value for me to factor in cost.

I think price just depends on when you book because price goes up and down depending how the sailing is selling. The room category in the b2b I have booked is almost sold out on the b2b so price has gone way up.

Taxes and port fees on b2b are usually lower.

Cabin availability is usually less choice on b2b because they only offer the cabins avail for both legs. This comes into play when looking for an upgrade. Chance to upgrade for little $ are usually better on two separate cruises vs a b2b.

I understand that if you book a b2b as 2 cruises, and your Latitudes level goes from gold to platinum after the first leg, you get the platinum perks on the second leg.

Does this still apply if you book it as one cruise?

Edited by tempus137

Maybe it's not a hardship to you but regarding the comment....."it's more money to pay at the end"

Lends itself to the general idea that it's difficult to gather up the money. That's all

So if it's difficult I read that as a hardship...

Again....I.....not everyone....read that as a hardship....

It was my post .....so therefore my opinion....

Regardless....bottom line....if you use 1 cert you get less deposit benefit...$125 assuming you bought 2 on your last cruise

If you are allowed to use 2 it makes sense to use 2 because you get a deposit benefit of $250 as you paid $250 for a $500 cert

If someone asked me if I wanted $250 in deposit benefit versus $125 in deposit benefit I would say $250

If you are concerned about your inventory of certs....simple solution is that you buy more on the cruise you applied the 2 current certs too. Lol

I put money into savings every month. I already have enough saved up for my December cruise and my March 2017 cruise.

I understand that if you book a b2b as 2 cruises, and your Latitudes level goes from gold to platinum after the first leg, you get the platinum perks on the second leg.

I called them about this very thing. They said to go to the Latitudes counter at the start of the second cruise and they will make you get the platinum perks. Cheers!

To the second question: not necessarily - the system handles your combined itinerary reservation as one cruise, so it's fully possible that your points are not updated until you have disembarked. In order for the Latitudes rep to update your status after first leg, they need to see the points in HQ's database.

Edited by Demonyte

we were in this situation and deliberately booked as 2 separate cruises to make sure we got platinum parks the second leg

we visited lattitudes rep on board during the first cruise and explained to him-he looked out for the list of platinum members the next week and made sure we got our benefits

However we had issues with pre paid beverage packages not being applied for second week so check with guest services a couple of days into te second leg that your account is correct

It isn't worth it to cancel and rebook because prices have gone up slightly and I've been told that in the time it takes to cancel and rebook, I could lose my original cabin.

It isn't just that I can't book an excursion on line, but, that no excursions are even displayed on my NCL site.

Just a warning to others...could happen to you too.

Go to the two Roll Calls on your cruises and see what your fellow cruisers

are booking. I am sure you will find excursions for your ports of call. They will be smaller, better organized and CHEAPER!

We have booked B2B from Barcelona over next Xmas and NY . This will be our first B2B experience with NCL. The paperwork is set out as if it's a continuos cruise, and when I booked they took one deposit then I had an email saying I owed them another deposit so I paid that no problem. We need 1 point to go Silver to Gold so I'm hoping that the second cruise we will be gold for us . The MyNCL page is an indescribable mess it seems to have randomly picked bits of each cruise to display. It's displaying the excursion for the first cruise but not the second and I particularly wanted to book an excursion in Casablanca but can't. I'm not really stressed out about it but it would be good to be able access all the information correctly.

One question If somebody can answer please . Will we have to settle our account at the end of each cruise? We've done B2B several times on other lines and it's always been a requirement.

Thanks

We have booked B2B from Barcelona over next Xmas and NY . This will be our first B2B experience with NCL. The paperwork is set out as if it's a continuos cruise, and when I booked they took one deposit then I had an email saying I owed them another deposit so I paid that no problem. We need 1 point to go Silver to Gold so I'm hoping that the second cruise we will be gold for us . The MyNCL page is an indescribable mess it seems to have randomly picked bits of each cruise to display. It's displaying the excursion for the first cruise but not the second and I particularly wanted to book an excursion in Casablanca but can't. I'm not really stressed out about it but it would be good to be able access all the information correctly.

One question If somebody can answer please . Will we have to settle our account at the end of each cruise? We've done B2B several times on other lines and it's always been a requirement.

Thanks

When I sailed b2b as two separate cruises there was one running account. I did have to get a new ship id card at guest services.

They had an informational meeting the day prior to end of first segment. We received, "in transist" stickers to put on shirts so that we could leave and return as we pleased with no line to get on or off ship. Our account remained open which was nice because we had $200 obc second leg that paid for charges on the first leg. Only one credit card charge after the second leg.

Things like spa sticker needed to be replaced at the spa which was a little bit of a hassle. They made me go back to my room and get the receipt proving that I had paid for both legs but other than that no problems.

• 2 months later...

Well, I hate to resurrect an older thread, but since this is where we were discussing both B2B and MyNCL issues.

After several weeks of not being able to access MyNCL page - getting the UhUh message - it finally came back - now instead of showing disjointed information about both legs of my voyage it simply says I am on a 7 day one way from Boston to Quebec.

I called the IT folks at NCL today and was told there is still a "glitch" in the system. I was also asked if I booked the cruise as a single 14 day RT or a B2B (which at the time of booking it was a single 14 day cruise- hence only one reservation number). I asked about getting the "glitch" fixed, was told they were still working on it.

I then asked what happens if the "glitch" is not fixed before I need to finish the registration and print my e-docs - I was told that that system was separate from the MyNCL site that was having the "glitch" and they would be fine. But that they hoped to have the "glitch" fixed before then.

As for booking B2B vs a single 14Day and the perks, well at least I received the perks as if I booked two cruises - UPB, UDC, and $600.00 OBC

The story has at least stayed constant since the initial problems with the MyNCL page.

1. the MyNCL site is separate from the booking site

2. the booking site shows the correct information

3. the cruise details are based on the booking site.

4. the e-docs come from the booking site.

Time will tell if it is all correct :D

Well, I hate to resurrect an older thread, but since this is where we were discussing both B2B and MyNCL issues.

After several weeks of not being able to access MyNCL page - getting the UhUh message - it finally came back - now instead of showing disjointed information about both legs of my voyage it simply says I am on a 7 day one way from Boston to Quebec.

I called the IT folks at NCL today and was told there is still a "glitch" in the system. I was also asked if I booked the cruise as a single 14 day RT or a B2B (which at the time of booking it was a single 14 day cruise- hence only one reservation number). I asked about getting the "glitch" fixed, was told they were still working on it.

I then asked what happens if the "glitch" is not fixed before I need to finish the registration and print my e-docs - I was told that that system was separate from the MyNCL site that was having the "glitch" and they would be fine. But that they hoped to have the "glitch" fixed before then.

As for booking B2B vs a single 14Day and the perks, well at least I received the perks as if I booked two cruises - UPB, UDC, and $600.00 OBC

The story has at least stayed constant since the initial problems with the MyNCL page.

1. the MyNCL site is separate from the booking site

2. the booking site shows the correct information

3. the cruise details are based on the booking site.

4. the e-docs come from the booking site.

Time will tell if it is all correct :D

We also have a b2b booked as a 14 day, but at least we have an extra year for NCL to get this corrected, as our cruise is not until Sept 2017. We did the booking in early April, and I called the IT dept as soon as I noticed the jumble of information on MyNCL. It sounds like this has been a problem for quite some time, and no definate timetable for correction. I was told I would need to call to book pretty much anything, dinner reservations to excursions. Also I believe he said he was not sure the registration system would work. Currently, MyNCL is showing that we have a 7 day cruise from Boston to Quebec City, which is the 2nd week of our cruise which actually leaves from QC the week before.

I never thought about the Platinum Benefits for the second week, specifically, the Platinum dinner certificates, until I saw others post who had booked as one 14 day say that they were denied this benefit the second week as they were "per cruise" not "per week". Our PCC thinks we will get the benefit both weeks, but you know how much water that holds. I sent an email to the Latitudes Department to ask this question more than a week ago, and they have yet to even acknowledge I contacted them. I have since been assured by a couple of posters who booked b2bs as one 14 day who say they got the same benefits both weeks. Not sure if there has been a policy change or just hit and miss depending on the whim of the latitudes rep on board.

The PCC says our reservation is correct in "his" system and not to worry. I don't think he was even aware there is a computer glitch for the b2bs. I was interested to hear him state that "They now have a new team in the IT department". YES!! Hopefully this team is more competent than the former.

Good to hear they have a new IT team. At least we're all getting the same info. from NCL. My b2b is booked for October this year and I'll be pleasantly surprised if the problem is fixed by then.

Lesson learned...never want to book a b2b as 1 cruise.

Thought about it afterward...what if 1 cruise price drops, can you request lower price if before final payment? How is that going to affect the second portion of the cruise? Might be messy.

Okay, I see where you are going with this. However, I am not a big fan of reduced deposits, because then you owe more at the end. Nonetheless, I realize some people do like the reduced deposit, and if that is important to someone, then that is important to someone.

What Reduced Deposit??

Cruise certs. are good for your full deposit. For only $150 out of pocket you get 250 off your cruise price.

If you use two it's $500 off your cruise price so you OWE LESS finale payment money not More. :confused:

What Reduced Deposit??

Cruise certs. are good for your full deposit. For only $150 out of pocket you get 250 off your cruise price.

If you use two it's $500 off your cruise price so you OWE LESS finale payment money not More. :confused:

Yes, but consider my situation. I had one cruise voucher worth a $250 deposit. I wanted to book 2 cruises back to back. I could have booked them seperately, used the voucher to cover one week's deposit, and then paid another $250 for the second week. My PCC recommended I book them as a 14 day because then my one $250 voucher would satisfy the deposit requirement without me paying the extra deposit at the time of booking. But, this really saved me nothing. I did not have to come up with the second deposit then, but I am still going to have to pay this money at final payment. All this did was allow me to defer the payment. I'm sure at final payment time, I'll be wishing I had paid the $250 at booking.

This is what Cuizer2 is saying. Aside from the NCL cruise vouchers, which are a great deal, 'reduced deposits' and 'deferred' or 'no deposit required' options simply kick the can down the road. They are great if you have a cash flow problem at booking, but they do not save you any money, they just delay the inevitable.

I understand the Latitudes Perks as a reason to book a B2B cruise instead of a single one. In my case I am far enough away from Platinum that I need all 14 days to get there :D

Also the person I spoke with in customer service supposedly talked directly with a person in the IT dept and confirmed the part about the e-docs.

We also have a b2b booked as a 14 day, ...

I never thought about the Platinum Benefits for the second week, specifically, the Platinum dinner certificates, until I saw others post who had booked as one 14 day say that they were denied this benefit the second week as they were "per cruise" not "per week". Our PCC thinks we will get the benefit both weeks, but you know how much water that holds. I sent an email to the Latitudes Department to ask this question more than a week ago, and they have yet to even acknowledge I contacted them. I have since been assured by a couple of posters who booked b2bs as one 14 day who say they got the same benefits both weeks. Not sure if there has been a policy change or just hit and miss depending on the whim of the latitudes rep on board. ...

We are Platinum. Twice we have booked b2b as one cruise with one reservation number and both times have received our Platinum benefits for both legs of the cruise. Once was on the Star in 2013 and then this past April on the Jade.

Edited by NMLady

We are Platinum. Twice we have booked b2b as one cruise with one reservation number and both times have received our Platinum benefits for both legs of the cruise. Once was on the Star in 2013 and then this past April on the Jade.

Well then, I'll just cross fingers and toes as I do not want to do a cancel and rebook to two individual cruises. I have not yet seen any recent reports of denied benefits.

I can see NCL's logic when applying a 1 set of Platinum benefits 'per cruise' rule to a more than 7 day itinerary which cannot be divided into two seperate cruises. For example, our 11 day San Francisco to Hawaii could not be divided into two seperate cruises, and we did not get two more platinum dinner vouchers on day 8. But, it makes no sense for NCL to penalize someone by withholding the second week's benefits on a b2b booked as a 14 day simply because they chose a 14 day option rather than two 7 day ones. NCL offered the option, and you should not be penalized in any way by taking it.

Edited by punkincc

Yes, but consider my situation. I had one cruise voucher worth a $250 deposit. I wanted to book 2 cruises back to back. I could have booked them seperately, used the voucher to cover one week's deposit, and then paid another $250 for the second week. My PCC recommended I book them as a 14 day because then my one $250 voucher would satisfy the deposit requirement without me paying the extra deposit at the time of booking. But, this really saved me nothing. I did not have to come up with the second deposit then, but I am still going to have to pay this money at final payment. All this did was allow me to defer the payment. I'm sure at final payment time, I'll be wishing I had paid the $250 at booking.

This is what Cuizer2 is saying. Aside from the NCL cruise vouchers, which are a great deal, 'reduced deposits' and 'deferred' or 'no deposit required' options simply kick the can down the road. They are great if you have a cash flow problem at booking, but they do not save you any money, they just delay the inevitable.

Ahh OK thats you.

OP of this thread had 2 certs. and would have saved another $100 if they did used the second one.

No can to kick.

Edited by biker@sea

We just returned from technically a B2B2B so I'll pass along our experience. It was a transatlantic + Norway + Baltic. It was offered for booking as a 30 day or various combos of the three. At the time the best offer for me was to book as 1 - 14 day transatlantic and 1 - 16 day combined Norway/Baltic. I also wanted a different room category for the trans so this also involved a room change. No problems whatsoever pre-booking dining or excursions even though I had different promos applied to the 2 bookings that aren't even offered anymore. We are Platinum. Even though I booked this as 2 separate cruises it was actually 3 and that is how the cruiseline handled it. At the beginning of each leg we received a packet with our platinum dining vouchers, laundry, etc. Also got the champagne, strawberries and choc. all 3 times. For the person who asked about the billing... I rec'd a letter towards the beginning of the first cruise saying they knew we would be onboard for the 30 days and I could pick up a copy of my bill at the end of the first cruise but they would wait until the end of the 30 days to put the charges through on my card.

We just returned from technically a B2B2B so I'll pass along our experience. It was a transatlantic + Norway + Baltic. It was offered for booking as a 30 day or various combos of the three. At the time the best offer for me was to book as 1 - 14 day transatlantic and 1 - 16 day combined Norway/Baltic. I also wanted a different room category for the trans so this also involved a room change. No problems whatsoever pre-booking dining or excursions even though I had different promos applied to the 2 bookings that aren't even offered anymore. We are Platinum. Even though I booked this as 2 separate cruises it was actually 3 and that is how the cruiseline handled it. At the beginning of each leg we received a packet with our platinum dining vouchers, laundry, etc. Also got the champagne, strawberries and choc. all 3 times. For the person who asked about the billing... I rec'd a letter towards the beginning of the first cruise saying they knew we would be onboard for the 30 days and I could pick up a copy of my bill at the end of the first cruise but they would wait until the end of the 30 days to put the charges through on my card.

Thank you. This is very informative...I'll be on a Baltic and transatlantic next year! (booked as 2 separate cruises) This year I'll be on the Jade ta and wc.

Unfortunately, for some of us we are not able to see either the first or the second part of the b2b online, so can't book excursions, dinner times etc...unless we call NCL and book everything on the phone. We have to do a cruise search on the website to find any excursions available for each port. Not a huge deal but, inconvenient for sure.

Glad all the platinum benefits will be applied per cruise portion!

Yes, and I think we are both celebrating our Birthday on board!:D

Is your birthday while we're aboard? My birthday is actually in July but since it's a milestone birthday and we love seadays we're celebrating it with a ta -- couldn't afford b2b this time. :rolleyes:

Is your birthday while we're aboard? My birthday is actually in July but since it's a milestone birthday and we love seadays we're celebrating it with a ta -- couldn't afford b2b this time. :rolleyes:

Yes on the 31st. My big 55. A cruise is a great way to celebrate! Well, any excuse will do really ;)