Holiday Inn Express 205 N Federal in Dania beach

rbird

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Dania last weekend prior to my cruise embarkation on a Sunday. The hotel provided an airport shuttle and arrived about 10 minutes after we called from the baggage claim area. The driver was courteous. The check in staff was polite and provided info on restaurants within walking distance. There are not a lot of choices within a couple blocks or so. We ended up at Belles because it was busy so the food must be decent. Indeed we were able to get a french canadian curd and fries as well as good ice cream. The little walk up dive is bilingual french/english. I didn't feel like I could walk around this area after dark though. The hotel is remodeled and provides a key carded entrance off the street. The room was clean and large. The pool is very small on the roof but provides a quiet safe respite to enjoy a morning coffee outdoors. Continental breakfast was provided. My husband booked the hotel shuttle for Sunday morning. There were about 60 people waiting in the lobby. The shuttle only held about 10 persons and all of there luggage. We waited almost two hours when we were told traffic was in gridlock by the port with 7-8 ships in on a Sunday. I was unsuccessful at hailing a cab. I called a cab company and was #29 in the telephone queue. Finally a shuttle arrived and the cruisers rushed outside quickly overwelming the driver. A cab happened to pull in behind and I quickly asked him if he already had a fare. He replied no and I said we would be his fare. He took us a back way to the port gate and did not get stuck in the long line up off the main highway. Our less than 4 mile trip took about 30 minutes. We were very appreciative and tipped well for his service and knowledge of alternate routes.

All in all the hotel was fine. Still overpriced at $360 a night for a $240 hotel night here on the east coast. Great for overnight. But don't take their port transportation.

Edited by rbird

How much prior to last weekend did you book this hotel? I agree 360 is way expensive for that type of hotel and location, but given school breaks and heavy travel, I can see the rate creeping up if you wait too late. By the way, the hotel isn't a remodel, it's a fairly new hotel, opened in 2013. Unless they have renovated already lol.