Civitavecchia - Rental Car Insurance

sunfan03

Decided we're going to DIY in Civitavecchia Port and visit places outside of Rome (since we'll have a week in Rome, post-cruise). Tarquinia plus suggestions?

With our group of 13, we're looking at renting 2 mini-vans. Looks like choices are Avis or Europcar.

Need opinions on what kind of insurance you take. Normally we don't take any, but we've only rented in the US.

Europcar options are 30 euro for a 250 euro deductible vs 60 euro for zero deductible.

Any other thoughts on renting a car from Civitavecchia port?

Thanks!

In Europe you must have car hire insurance. I have a separate policy that can be used anywhere and saves on the expensive insurance charged by the car hire company.

The basic insurance is normally included in the car hire cost. The extra is for cover to wheels, bodywork, Windows etc but you need to read the T&Cs carefully.

Our recent car rental in Italy included basic insurance which does not cover things like tyres and windscreen. The excess (deductible) was:

* Rental includes Collision Damage coverage. Rental limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approx. EUR 800.00.

* Rental includes Theft Protection for the vehicle. Rental limits potential vehicle loss liability to an excess of approx. EUR 1,800.00.

It is possible to insure the excess separately at the rental desk for a daily fee, but this can work out expensive. I usually insure the excess with a separate policy bought online - can be bought on a daily or annual basis. For reference, I paid around €18 for 8 days excess insurance.

Our recent car rental in Italy included basic insurance which does not cover things like tyres and windscreen. The excess (deductible) was:

* Rental includes Collision Damage coverage. Rental limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approx. EUR 800.00.

* Rental includes Theft Protection for the vehicle. Rental limits potential vehicle loss liability to an excess of approx. EUR 1,800.00.

It is possible to insure the excess separately at the rental desk for a daily fee, but this can work out expensive. I usually insure the excess with a separate policy bought online - can be bought on a daily or annual basis. For reference, I paid around €18 for 8 days excess insurance.

Where do you buy your excess insurance online?

It's only a one-day rental, but if I can save money, I'm willing to do some research. Thanks!

Where do you buy your excess insurance online?

It's only a one-day rental, but if I can save money, I'm willing to do some research. Thanks!

The company I used only sells to UK and Ireland residents. However, a quick google search shows that companies do sell to US residents e.g. carhire-excess-insurance dot com

They are quoting around $10 for three day cover - if you do a bit of research you could find single day cover.

I would really recommend Europcar, because their office is right across the street from the shuttle drop off at the port. Could not be more convenient

The place that I would really recommend is Civita di Bagnoreggio. It is an A+ on the 'places to visit' scale! You'll have to look it up, also a good Rick Steves segment that includes it.