Help with what we are looking for....

mrsfuzzmo

So we had planned to head to West End for a few hours, but now are thinking West Bay Beach may be more of what we desire.

Looking for a great beach bar - open air of course, possibly live music, great place to hang out in the water with food and drinks nearby. No need for a resort package or anything as we like little local bar scenes. Where should we ask to be dropped off?

Thoughts? We dock at 11 am and depart at 7 pm, so a few hours on the beach and then perhaps over to West End for some more drinks and food?

So we had planned to head to West End for a few hours, but now are thinking West Bay Beach may be more of what we desire.

Looking for a great beach bar - open air of course, possibly live music, great place to hang out in the water with food and drinks nearby. No need for a resort package or anything as we like little local bar scenes. Where should we ask to be dropped off?

Thoughts? We dock at 11 am and depart at 7 pm, so a few hours on the beach and then perhaps over to West End for some more drinks and food?

That is what we usually do when we go to Roatan. We start off at West Bay Beach for a couple of hours and then West End Village for a couple hours. In West End Village, Sundowners is the popular place to go. Right on the beach. For West Bay Beach, also on the beach (of course) is Beachers. You also have the Thirsty Turtle and also Cayuco (never been there). Infinity Bay also has a beach bar which is usually the place for us if we are not at Beachers or the Turtle.

There are no local bars in either west end or west bay. West bay is all resorts for holiday makers and west end is mostly expats.

There maybe a local bar in coxen hole....

You may have to adjust your thinkng a bit, skip the local part..

edit - Ya know, I have only met Tita from the Pink Seahorse once, she maybe a local, her bar is very popular, in West End.

Edited by Guest 2000

There are no local bars in either west end or west bay. West bay is all resorts for holiday makers and west end is mostly expats.

There maybe a local bar in coxen hole....

You may have to adjust your thinkng a bit, skip the local part..

edit - Ya know, I have only met Tita from the Pink Seahorse once, she maybe a local, her bar is very popular, in West End.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! I see what you did there.

Apologies, perhaps I am mis-understanding the word local.

I believe he was just saying bars in the local area where people go that is not part of a package deal. Not necessary talking about being owned by native Hondurans.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I believe he was just saying bars in the local area where people go that is not part of a package deal. Not necessary talking about being owned by native Hondurans.

Would that not be any bar? I mean you can walk up to any place for a beverage.

I though the OP meant he wished to be away from the run of the mill places all the other tourist go, a place locally owned where locals hang about.

The confusion is the Roatan was a mishmash of folk way before the tourists started showing up, the native Islanders are descendants from the British Caymans and then the Hondurans came over from the mainland so what is local I don't know but West Bay sure doesn't strike me as any kind of local nor does Sundower's being is it famous these days.

Communication is a challenge on a good day and diversity makes the world go round, indeed to each their

own.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm thinking Beachers or Bite on the Beach. These used to be smaller places, but may have had their popularity increase in the last couple of years. And of course the larger resorts are all around them.

I though the OP meant he wished to be away from the run of the mill places all the other tourist go, a place locally owned where locals hang about.

The confusion is the Roatan was a mishmash of folk way before the tourists started showing up, the native Islanders are descendants from the British Caymans and then the Hondurans came over from the mainland so what is local I don't know but West Bay sure doesn't strike me as any kind of local nor does Sundower's being is it famous these days.

Communication is a challenge on a good day and diversity makes the world go round, indeed to each their

own.

I hear ya. I lived in a tourist beach town for a while and thought the same way. lol All good!

West End is quite local. The place to go is DIX Halfway Inn. It's pretty new but we went there in Feb with about 14 friends and were well pleased. There is a great porch outside overlooking the water and a beach with lounge chairs. Water is great for swimming or snorkeling. The food is a great combination of local & American. We all had different things

so we sampled a lot. The fish tacos were good and so were the wings. Drinks were yummy

We got there about 10 and left just in time to get back to our ship. The owner was present and was a wonderful host. I would have loved to be able to be there later because I think this would be a fun place. You go to West End and turn left. DIX is right behind the little white church. Will go back soon. Have been to Roatan 4 times & DIX is the best.

own.

I guess I'm in the middle of both understandings. Don't want to be at a "resort" pay a price to use the beach/facilities for the day. When I say "local" I mean small, been there for a while, known for "something" food or drink, where people can feel free to stop in for a few then move on. I'm not looking for a "pay $50 and get an umbrella a chair and a lunch" type of deal.

You know, someplace that people who live on the island (expats or not) go to hang out and relax. Local = off the beaten path little treasures that the people who spend a lot of time on the island know about, but not necessarily the masses. Make sense?

And the OP is a "she" ;)

I guess I'm in the middle of both understandings. Don't want to be at a "resort" pay a price to use the beach/facilities for the day. When I say "local" I mean small, been there for a while, known for "something" food or drink, where people can feel free to stop in for a few then move on. I'm not looking for a "pay $50 and get an umbrella a chair and a lunch" type of deal.

You know, someplace that people who live on the island (expats or not) go to hang out and relax. Local = off the beaten path little treasures that the people who spend a lot of time on the island know about, but not necessarily the masses. Make sense?

And the OP is a "she" ;)

Tita's is the place you are looking for, off the beaten path, expats hang about, the challenge I find is the beach is sometimes a bit small with the volleyball playing but if they are not entertaining with a ball game it is a grand spot.

Do not go to West Bay for quiet, Sundowner's is almost internationally famous so that is not a great choice.

Tita's Pink Seahorse Bar, may be a bit tough to find, close to the end of West End, Behind Sueno Del Mar Diving Resort, West End.