What Happened when QM2 cant pull into port?

NBCNewsGuy

Just kidding.....

I think the captain knows in advance which ports are able to accomodate a ship that size. If it's too shallow, then there's no choice but to use the ships tenders ... ship is at anchor in the harbor, then passengers use the enclosed boats to get ashore.

As far as it being a "pain" is concerned, expect some waits. You'll have about 2300 other people waiting to get off as well.

All I can say is, plan your day accordingly, and go with a sense of humor.

Everyone on board has to wait, so stake your claim in the queue, and look forward to the port of call.

:cool:

I have found that if one is going ashore to freelance, it's best to be there fairly early 8-8:30 so will be sure to get on the one of the first tenders. If you have pruchased a toru offered on board, then they will handle getting you on a tender in time for your tour.

NBCNewsGuy

You may have missed a posting of mine earlier this week asking you to email me. I'm from Boston and work in PR and government relations among other things. I am a spokesperson for a college and a public safety department and my face usually hits the tube 3-4 times a year. I would like to chat with you prior to the 1/3 sailing. Also my wife manages a cable tv outlet. Thanks.

peter.chisholm@comcast.net

One of the features of QM2 that most don't mention in discussing her are the very nice and spacious tender lounges that are adjacent to the doors in the hull through which one passes to get to the tenders. Chairs are available for those who need to sit while they may be waiting to board the tenders. I found the process for tendering from/to QM2 to be very well organized and executed.

• 1 month later...

When one must tender ashore, depending on the port, most ships use their own enclosed lifeboats/tenders. Usually one must sign up for a tender ticket. If you have purchased a shore excursion which meets at a certain time, they will be sure to get you onto the right tender. There are usually several tenders going ashore, either in a line, as one fills, the next pulls up, or sometimes, from both sides of the ship (port and starboard tender decks, usually deck two.) In some ports there are tenders or ferries provided by the port you are at. I have used such arrangements in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I honestly don't remember what we did when we tendered in to Charlotte Amalie (as we had to before Havensight was built)

If it were a nightmare to tender in, the ships would get blasted by everyone. These ports are tourist economies. They depend on us getting off the ship and buy, buy, buying in their towns and shops. Additionally, the cruiseline makes very good money on these shore excursions. It is a profit center for them. It is in their best interests that everyone is happy, the passengers, the ports and their tourism bureaus and harbormasters, and the tour operators who depend on our Dollars and Euros. I have rarely had much of a wait for a tender, though I rarely feel a need to get on the first tender! There is plenty of time at most ports to do what you want to do!

Then too, I think they have that new program starting in 2006- The "Be the first on your ship to port in" plan. They give you a life ring and push you off the bow! <G>

Seriously, I don't think you will find it onerous.

The only ports we have ever skipped due to rough seas were the private island (twice) where they don't have quite as much onshore assistance, and once, Key West- But that was another story entirely. (see my previous post- The cruiseline was bankrupt and we're pretty sure the Captain sold our berth during the most important week of the year in Key West- The week of Fantasy Fest.)

Archived