ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

I think the announcement May 1st will be for a phased implementation starting in the late summer/early fall - just my guess. Now exactly what the "enhancements" are will be interesting to find out! :rolleyes:

If they're going to change anything, I hope they do it sooner than later. We sail in the fall and I don't want to be on the cruise where they make the changes.....

You're welcome. IMHO, I really don't think they are going to change. I think they have gotten a lot of feedback from folks that really like DD and don't want to see them change it. I guess only time will tell.

We are having a great time with currently beautiful seas. Had a slightly bumpy ride up to Cape Liberty on Saturday and Sunday.

Patti, Thanks for all the information. I like your thinking that maybe they won't make any changes. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they don't mess with DD! LOL I really think it would be a big mistake if they do.

Hoe long are you on the ship for? Enjoy the rest of your time on Anthem!!

Patty

Patti, Thanks for all the information. I like your thinking that maybe they won't make any changes. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they don't mess with DD! LOL I really think it would be a big mistake if they do.

Hoe long are you on the ship for? Enjoy the rest of your time on Anthem!!

Patty

Thanks Patty. We are on board until April 30th.

Oh, please come back and let us know if they call you.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!

The RCI Guest Relations representative called today. I appreciate the phone call, as I was able to reiterate what I stated via email, which is that many cruisers have expressed that they really like DD, and that while we know there have been negative reviews about the concept, many of us see DD as one of perks that led us to book a Quantum Class cruise, and we look forward to it.

He said that RCI really works to listen to its guests' feedback, and as a result, RCI will be modifying DD, but details haven't yet been finalized. He hesitated to say much because plans are still up in the air, but he did state that Solarium Bistro, like Coastal Kitchen, will be reserved for certain suite guests, but that there may be an option to access Solarium Bistro for a fee if space allows. He mentioned the idea of MTD in a MDR on Deck 4... but nothing definite yet. Even the time of the announcement wasn't pinpointed in our conversation. Sigh.

What hasn't been mentioned here is Rhapsody relocating to NJ next year. She will provide a traditional dining alternative for those that prefer it. Of course Rhapsody is older, smaller, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Anthem, and IMO will be sailing less interesting itineraries. Balconies on Rhapsody are currently listed around $200/day next summer vs $240 on Anthem. Let's see how this tracks going forward.

Here is the reply to my question put to RCI:

Thank you for contacting the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. I am pleased to be handling your correspondence on behalf of Mr. Bayley.

We are happy to learn that you will be joining us on the Ovation of the Seas in December. We appreciate your feedback regarding our Dynamic Dining program. We are always looking for ways to enhance our guests’ vacation experience, but we have not made any changes to the dining structure for Ovation of the Seas. In the event we decide to make any modifications we will advise our guests immediately. Additionally, I have reviewed your reservation and found that your dining option is Dynamic Dining.

Best regards, Janice Vilchez

Executive Guest Relations | Executive Office 1-888-767-4644, ext. 11507 | jvilchez@rccl.com

38 pages of "Much ado about Nothing"

Not necessarily.

If this thread and Patti's information generated enough emails expressing approval of Dynamic Dining……then it was worth the 38 pages.

So often people who are negative are the most vocal. Patti has brought the possibility of DD being redone to the attention of those who like it and that is a good thing because it gave them reason to speak up.

The RCI Guest Relations representative called today. I appreciate the phone call, as I was able to reiterate what I stated via email, which is that many cruisers have expressed that they really like DD, and that while we know there have been negative reviews about the concept, many of us see DD as one of perks that led us to book a Quantum Class cruise, and we look forward to it.

He said that RCI really works to listen to its guests' feedback, and as a result, RCI will be modifying DD, but details haven't yet been finalized. He hesitated to say much because plans are still up in the air, but he did state that Solarium Bistro, like Coastal Kitchen, will be reserved for certain suite guests, but that there may be an option to access Solarium Bistro for a fee if space allows. He mentioned the idea of MTD in a MDR on Deck 4... but nothing definite yet. Even the time of the announcement wasn't pinpointed in our conversation. Sigh.

I don't think they know exactly what they are going to do. Seems they're trying to make everyone happy but Quantum Class is only one class that has unique dining and people that want traditional have all the other ships to sail on so I don't get it. It's only 1 ship!!! LOL They advertised Quantum Class as being a new concept in dining so I have no idea why they want to change that now! I'm just hoping they don't make any changes. I'm sorry they took Devin's place out and put Solarium Bistro in. Divinely Decadent (or whatever it was called) was very good on Quantum and it was free.

Not necessarily.

If this thread and Patti's information generated enough emails expressing approval of Dynamic Dining……then it was worth the 38 pages.

So often people who are negative are the most vocal. Patti has brought the possibility of DD being redone to the attention of those who like it and that is a good thing because it gave them reason to speak up.

I totally agree!!! I hope more people write letters and/or call Royal.

Most responses that I've seen came from

Janice Vilchez

Executive Guest Relations | Executive Office

1-888-767-4644, ext. 11507 | jvilchez@rccl.com

So far mine is the only one on this thread that came from

Joan Bernheimer

(888) 767-4644 | jbernheimer@rccl.com

Royal Caribbean International

I don't think they know exactly what they are going to do. Seems they're trying to make everyone happy but Quantum Class is only one class that has unique dining and people that want traditional have all the other ships to sail on so I don't get it. It's only 1 ship!!! LOL They advertised Quantum Class as being a new concept in dining so I have no idea why they want to change that now! I'm just hoping they don't make any changes. I'm sorry they took Devin's place out and put Solarium Bistro in. Divinely Decadent (or whatever it was called) was very good on Quantum and it was free.

You keep saying this, but the problem is that RCI chose to homeport their unique ship in NJ. Those of us who don't want to fly only have ONE choice. If it were homeported in Florida where there are other options, then your argument would hold weight. But, they have isolated their unique ship, and their only port within driving distance for a great many people on north/central coast is left without a traditional ship.

Edited by DonnaK

Janice Vilchez

Joan Bernheimer

I heard from

Rudy Navarro

1-888-767-4644 Ext. 11513 | rudynavarro@rccl.com

You keep saying this, but the problem is that RCI chose to homeport their unique ship in NJ. Those of us who don't want to fly only have ONE choice. If it were homeported in Florida where there are other options, then your argument would hold weight. But, they have isolated their unique ship, and their only port within driving distance for a great many people on north/central coast without a traditional ship.

I wonder if that is part of the reason for Rhapsody heading to NJ next summer. Although, it is a shame she is only doing the 7 night Bahamas sailings.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Janice Vilchez

Joan Bernheimer

my reply was from Joan as well

You keep saying this, but the problem is that RCI chose to homeport their unique ship in NJ. Those of us who don't want to fly only have ONE choice. If it were homeported in Florida where there are other options, then your argument would hold weight. But, they have isolated their unique ship, and their only port within driving distance for a great many people on north/central coast is left without a traditional ship.

Most areas of our country, including mine, have NO ship home-ported.

Yes, Florida has many but that is no reason for you to discount something that a person from that state says.

Consider yourself fortunate that you have a ship. If you don't like what it offers you are no worse off than the rest of the nation, excluding Florida.

Edited by beachnative

#1, I'm not arguing with anyone.....LOL I just posted what I think.

I wasn't happy when Quantum first came to NJ. I thought the whole DD thing was a mess and I thought making reservations was one big mess but that was before we sailed on her plus there were so many negative reviews. Glad we sailed on her regardless of the bad reviews because we loved DD. We already made all our DD reservations for our next cruise on Anthem and it wasn't hard at all. I'm curious what kind of issues you had on Quantum or Anthem that your so against DD.

Sounds like your gripe is with Royal Caribbean for home porting Anthem in NJ and not so much with the concept of DD. No matter where the ship is I don't think they should change DD since that's what was advertised.

Sorry you don't want to fly anywhere to cruise. I would have been just as happy if Explorer stayed in NJ but we have a brand new ship in Anthem......LOL People sailing on Anthem are not just from NJ....there are people that fly from all over the world to sail Anthem just like they fly to any other port.

They are sending Rhapsody to NJ and that is traditional dining so that could be an option for you if Anthem doesn't change to traditional. There is usually a Radiance Class ship in Boston and also the Grandeur in Baltimore which isn't that far of a drive from NJ. I have friends coming from Florida and California to sail on Anthem.

Plus, if you strictly sail on Royal, they have Celebrity ships with traditional dining that sail locally plus there are a few other lines that sail from NJ and/or NY.

Most areas of our country, including mine, have NO ship home-ported.

Yes, Florida has many but that is no reason for you to discount something that a person from that state says.

Consider yourself fortunate that you have a ship. If you don't like what it offers you are no worse off than the rest of the nation, excluding Florida.

Your so right. I remember when we didn't have a Royal ship in NJ. We really are lucky to have one home-ported here!! I'm pretty much happy with whatever ship they put here......LOL Would love a Radiance Class home-ported here.

We still sail out of Florida as well but it's so nice to just drive to the port here in NJ - we only do 12 nighters out of NJ.

Well then don't sail Royal, there's other choices in the Tri-State area if you aren't happy with it. I HAVE to fly for cruises because we have 1 ship come in the summer months from Southampton and quite honestly the itineraries aren't much cop. 45 other states don't have ships near them, they fly. If you weren't happy with Dynamic Dining on Anthem (the concept, ie, you didn't like it before you boarded) then the better way to have shown this to Royal would have been to take your custom elsewhere.

Not necessarily.

Very good point...:)

It sounds to me that my May 14 sailing will be DD after all.

After what I read, it seems they would need more time than just a few weeks to actually implement this once they do actually announce it. I see that have to reorganize the dining rooms, probably implement a new system regarding menus in the kitchen and ordering. I can't see them doing this willy nilly, especially with the flack the ship has taken in the past.

Not necessarily.

So true...