Whittier to Anchorage transfer options - Wildlife Option Y/N?

nu2crusin

I'm looking at Alaska Cruise transport for Whittier port to airport on June 4th where we will pick up a mini van for drive up to Denali (5 adults, 2-50', 3-21' year olds). Any experience share of "direct" for $32 Vs with Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center for $47. Is it worth the extra hour & $15 ?

Ditto AKStafford's comment - I love the Wildlife Conservation Center - so to me, it's worth the hour & $. Last time I was there, Nat Geo was filming a special on moose...it was pretty cool to see how unbelievably close they got to the animals.

We really enjoyed the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center last year. We spent at least 2 hours there and could easily have stayed longer. A 1-hour visit sounds short, but better than missing it altogether. You don't always see as many animals in the wild in Alaska as you might like, so it's a great opportunity for great photos and close encounters with bears, caribou, musk ox, etc.

Just a thought...But why not rent the mini van in Whittier and be at your leisure to drive from the port to Denali? Sure there is a hefty one way drop fee but $32 X 5 adults X price for three children will probably be very close to the same amount. You then have the freedom to explore other things from port to Anchorage and sites beyond.

And by the way I would find the stop worth while.

RaiderCruiser; That was my original plan an in fact had a car reservation. Problem is only Avis at Whittier, minivans are sold out, next best (size) was SUV BUT cost was $750 for 3 days! Per tip above, I reserved a minivan from Hertz at Anchorage airport for $306. So even with transfer with wildlife tour at $47pp (only $32pp direct) (we are 5 adults total - kids are adults) I am at $541 total Vs $750 plus we get a narrated drive with wildlife center AND dropoff at airport @ 11:30 am. Seem best way to go & put the $200 towards other fun.

RaiderCruiser; That was my original plan an in fact had a car reservation. Problem is only Avis at Whittier, minivans are sold out, next best (size) was SUV BUT cost was $750 for 3 days! Per tip above, I reserved a minivan from Hertz at Anchorage airport for $306. So even with transfer with wildlife tour at $47pp (only $32pp direct) (we are 5 adults total - kids are adults) I am at $541 total Vs $750 plus we get a narrated drive with wildlife center AND dropoff at airport @ 11:30 am. Seem best way to go & put the $200 towards other fun.

But $47 x 5 = $235. A one-way, one-day car rental is about $300, even less if you have some sort of discount through some organization or company you are affiliated with. For the extra $65 plus gas, it would be a no-brainer to me to rent the car one-way for the day then pick up the other rental once you arrive in Anchorage. Plus, you should be able to pick up an SUV or minivan in the city cheaper than at the airport for three days, thus making the entire trip at least a breakeven :)

Edited by frugaltravel

Hey this is fun spending your money! We debated the same things you are with the transfer. We decided on the rental car and it was well worth it for us. We made several stops along the way, including the wildlife center, and really enjoyed the 4 or so hours it took us to get from Whittier to Anchorage. We were able to get off the ship early and be the first in line at the Avis counter. Made the first tunnel and we were on our way. It was a great way to end to the sea portion of the trip.