Kennedy Space Center - pre-cruise or post-cruise?

eshnna

Hello!

First time cruiser and very excited for our trip. We are traveling in the Disney Fantasy 7 Day Caribbean cruise. I seriously need some guidance with my schedules.

Background:

Traveling from the West Coast with husband and daughters 4 1/2 and almost 2 years old. We will be arriving around 6 pm a day before our embarkment and our flight back home is around 5 pm. I've reserved a rental car with car seats pre-cruise and yet need to book a hotel, we will be doing the Disney transfer post-cruise.

Issue:

My original plan was to reserve a hotel in Cape Canaveral and head to the Kennedy Space Center the morning of our cruise, they open at 9AM, spend 2 hrs there and then head over to the port. My husband would drop us off at the port and I would get started checking in while he returned our rental car. Our port arrival is scheduled for 12-15pm-12:30 pm. But can change it. I would rather not though since I've read it can get hectic later.

As I am trying to plan for the hours that we will be stuck waiting for our flight back home, are there any activities you would recommend while we wait at the airport with 2 small children? Another thought is to cancel the Disney transfers and do the space center after disembarkment and rent a car instead.

Who knows when we will be doing another trip like this so I do really want to get the bang for our bucks and be crazy and do it all :)

Experienced travelers, what would you do?

Edited by eshnna

Hello!

First time cruiser and very excited for our trip. We are traveling in the Disney Fantasy 7 Day Caribbean cruise. I seriously need some guidance with my schedules.

Background:

Traveling from the West Coast with husband and daughters 4 1/2 and almost 2 years old. We will be arriving around 6 pm a day before our embarkment and our flight back home is around 5 pm. I've reserved a rental car with car seats pre-cruise and yet need to book a hotel, we will be doing the Disney transfer post-cruise.

Issue:

My original plan was to reserve a hotel in Cape Canaveral and head to the Kennedy Space Center the morning of our cruise, they open at 9AM, spend 2 hrs there and then head over to the port. My husband would drop us off at the port and I would get started checking in while he returned our rental car. Our port arrival is scheduled for 12-15pm-12:30 pm. But can change it. I would rather not though since I've read it can get hectic later.

As I am trying to plan for the hours that we will be stuck waiting for our flight back home, are there any activities you would recommend while we wait at the airport with 2 small children? Another thought is to cancel the Disney transfers and do the space center after disembarkment and rent a car instead.

Who knows when we will be doing another trip like this so I do really want to get the bang for our bucks and be crazy and do it all :)

Experienced travelers, what would you do?

Honestly, 2 hours isn't enough time to really get "into" all you can see at Cape Canaveral. That said, it can be done, but it's fairly pricey for that short a stay.

You would a longer time period on debarkation day, if you get off the ship as soon as you can, get to the rental car agency, and head over to Cape Canaveral. You would need to depart there by 1:00, just to be sure you make a 5:00 flight (one hour drive, drop off rental car, check in, go through security).

BUT, with kids that young, I wouldn't have done it. You may have some really cranky kids, since getting up and off the ship that morning is real early.

For me, I'd suggest getting a day room at the Hyatt MCO. You can spend the day watching TV, swim, eat lunch, and generally making a slow "re-entry" into the real world following the cruise.

Shmoo said everything I was thinking as I read your post. Your kids are too young for the space center. I wouldn't spend the time and effort for kids that age.

Before....I would stay in an MCO area hotel. There are lots that include complimentary breakfast, have a pool, etc. Get a good night of sleep before the cruise, then drive over to the terminal/car drop off. It is about an hour drive to the terminal. You can drop the passengers and luggage at the terminal and then return the car (most of the car rental places are along the same road...1-5 miles from the terminal depending on the company). All will shuttle you back to the terminal.

Alternatively, you can keep the gang together and take the shuttle back to the terminal.

Honestly, with a 6 pm arrival...wait for luggage, get rental car, get to hotel, get dinner and it is bedtime. Don't try to cram something else into the morning. Have breakfast. Use the hotel pool if you wish (but then you have wet suits), check out of hotel and head to the terminal with a stop at a store for anything you've forgotten.

Disembarkation day....this is a better time for the space center if that is on your "must do" list. Get a car. Remember that you'll need to be at the airport at least 2 hours before flight time. Alternatively, use your car to go to Downtown Disney or get a day room at the Hyatt MCO. This gives you a place for the kids to nap, you can swim, shower, just chill out, etc. And you are already at the airport with the car returned.

I would recommend taking it easy embarkation day and just heading to the port and boarding the Fantasy. There will be such excitement for all of you, that it might be a good idea to just focus on the fun and experience of boarding the Fantasy.

As for debarkation day, you would have more time to get to and actually enjoy KSC and get your money out of it. It is an hour away from the airport, so if you left at around 1:30 to 2:00 you would have ample time to check in and be ready to fly out at 5 PM

If you have not already done so, you might want to check out the pricing and see what they have to offer you and your family to make sure it is worth your while.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

If you want to do something else, there is always Disney Springs, which is about 20 minutes from the airport on the toll roads. A lot to do there. Or International Drive has a very nice area of tourist attractions, shopping and dining.

Enjoy your cruise!

OP said day rates no more at Hyatt....other options for day rates there for her?? and this will eventually get moved to the port board...check there too OP,,,smiles.

Yes, if you look at the times, her response was posted while I was typing. I'm not aware of other hotels with day rates, but a regular rate at most places near MCO would be about the same as a day rate at the Hyatt. THe other thing is that often the Hyatt does not list "day rates" on line but if you call them, you are able to reserve one.

While it doesn't seem to be an option now, I would have suggested arriving an extra day early or possibly staying a day after the cruise to add a visit to KSC or Disney Springs or the like.

The KSC visitor center may be too much for children 4 1/2 and almost 2 years old unless they really are into science type museums, especially the ones that aren't really hands on. Also, one thing about the KSC visitor center is that perhaps the best part is the bus tours, but I think those take at least 2 hours each. You might be able to swing a visit and a bus tour the day you get off the ship, but that day is likely to feel rushed and tiring giving the early morning usually associated with disembarkation day.

One suggestion I have is that instead of visiting KSC (NASA), you could visit Cape Canaveral (the US Air Force). Especially since the Cape Canaveral visitor center is closer to the Disney Port Canaveral pier than the KSC Visitor Center is. Plus, the USAF museum is free (well, donations accepted). Here is a link to their website:

http://afspacemuseum.org/historycenter/

You won't be able to see as much there as on a bus tour, but if you are interested in the space program, you may well really enjoy yourself. I assume your cruise departs on Saturday, and if so, the museum appears to be open 9-5 on Saturdays.

Yes' date=' if you look at the times, her response was posted while I was typing. I'm not aware of other hotels with day rates, but a regular rate at most places near MCO would be about the same as a day rate at the Hyatt. THe other thing is that often the Hyatt does not list "day rates" on line but if you call them, you are able to reserve one.[/quote']

Thank you..I hate it when people do what I just did..:o. Appreciate your info. I am going to go from this port someday soon I hope. My deepest intention is not to be divisive...again..thanks. That is a great idea and good to know as I have never done this.....I have chronic pain stuff and this kind of a deal seems WONDERFUL for me too.

Never will forget a huge family trip for my folks 50th and we had 4 timeshare condos on Big Island the New Year's week starting 27th I think, one of my mother's and siblings greatest feats to bank and pull off...and they let us keep one of 4 condos until 5 PM for a 9 PM departure...made all the difference...and we had delays and did not get back until 5 the next day our time...may have saved a life..lol.

Edited by sjn911

Thank you much for your responses! The KSP is not so much for our girls but for the husband and myself :p.

As soon as I read the first post I called the hotel and they said that they did not have day rooms available for my departure date but I could hold a room for $280.

I called our travel agent and cancelled the ground transfers. Fortunately I have access to discounted tickets to KSP that I can purchase anytime. It makes sense also for my girls to nap better in a carseat than an airport chair.

I am traveling Alaska Airlines which is a participating airline for onboard check-in. With my ground transfer cancelled, do any of you know if I can still take advantage of checking my luggage on board?

Thank you much for your responses! The KSP is not so much for our girls but for the husband and myself :p.

As soon as I read the first post I called the hotel and they said that they did not have day rooms available for my departure date but I could hold a room for $280.

I called our travel agent and cancelled the ground transfers. Fortunately I have access to discounted tickets to KSP that I can purchase anytime. It makes sense also for my girls to nap better in a carseat than an airport chair.

I am traveling Alaska Airlines which is a participating airline for onboard check-in. With my ground transfer cancelled, do any of you know if I can still take advantage of checking my luggage on board?

Onboard airline check in is available only if you are using DCL transfers at least one way. Sorry.

One hint....some car rental places do complimentary car seats with certain "memberships." Also, Budget at Cape Canaveral will hold your personal car seat if you have a rental thru them both ways. You can bring your own car seats, use them on the plane and then in your Budget rental car. Bring along a large bag to keep them clean or not--Budget at Cape Canaveral will hold them for you tagged with your name until you pick up your rental car after the cruise. Then you have them for the return drive as well as the return flight. The kids might be more comfortable in their own car seats that they are familiar with rather than rental equipment and you have it for their safety on the plane. Car seats fly free (don't count as luggage).

I don't know when your trip is, but if you want a day room, I wouldn't give up. Call the hotel again a month or so before your cruise. At that point, they may have a better idea of how many late check ins they will have and may open up day rooms.

sjn911, no worries

Edited by moki'smommy

Onboard airline check in is available only if you are using DCL transfers at least one way. Sorry.

One hint....some car rental places do complimentary car seats with certain "memberships." Also' date=' Budget at Cape Canaveral will hold your personal car seat if you have a rental thru them both ways. You can bring your own car seats, use them on the plane and then in your Budget rental car. Bring along a large bag to keep them clean or not--Budget at Cape Canaveral will hold them for you tagged with your name until you pick up your rental car after the cruise. Then you have them for the return drive as well as the return flight. The kids might be more comfortable in their own car seats that they are familiar with rather than rental equipment and you have it for their safety on the plane. Car seats fly free (don't count as luggage).

I don't know when your trip is, but if you want a day room, I wouldn't give up. Call the hotel again a month or so before your cruise. At that point, they may have a better idea of how many late check ins they will have and may open up day rooms.

sjn911, no worries[/quote']

Thank you, this is useful information!

Thank you, this is useful information!

I always suggest that you phone the location directly to be sure that the policy is still in effect as things can change at any time, but it used to be a great perk. Hope they are still doing it when you cruise.

I always suggest that you phone the location directly to be sure that the policy is still in effect as things can change at any time' date=' but it used to be a great perk. Hope they are still doing it when you cruise.[/quote']

I consulted with the husband and we both agreed that renting the car seats is a better option for us. So we will be doing that and going with a different company since I get a discount through my job.

Now just to reserve our hotel room for arrival. :)

I consulted with the husband and we both agreed that renting the car seats is a better option for us. So we will be doing that and going with a different company since I get a discount through my job.

Now just to reserve our hotel room for arrival. :)

Want suggestions?

Want suggestions?

They are always welcome!

Yes please. I was about to look into that. Considering some of the suggestions of places to visit that were previously mentioned, I was thinking of something in Orlando.

When I arrive the evening before the cruise, I prefer to stay in the MCO area. If I arrive early in the day, I might choose the WDW area or near the port, but with a 6 pm arrival...well I'd recommend that you get your luggage, your car, and head to the hotel. I don't like an hour to drive at that point; 5-10 minutes is a lot better.

Favorite hotel near MCO is the Hyatt Place NW (this is NOT the Hyatt MCO). They have the best hotel breakfast I've ever had, nice people at the desk, and good rooms. There is a pool, fitness center, and business center with a printer. Wifi in rooms. It costs a bit more than some 2.5* hotels, but everything about it is good. Also, right across the street (walking distance) to a TGI Fridays.

Totally decent, but not quite as good is the Country Inn and Suites. Cookies on arrival, good breakfast, pool, rooms were fine. Coffee and tea in the lobby. Nothing bad about it, but not quite as nice as the Hyatt Place. I would stay there again.

Another notch down is the Hampton and the Quality Suites. These are all located in the same area, within a few minutes of the airport. Every sort of food joint you can think of is in the area, and there is shopping a very short drive away.

Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area--the "big 3" are the Residence Inn, Country Inn and Suites, and Radisson. I'd recommend the first 2. The Radisson, we have been hit or miss on. They are an older property and always seem to be under construction somewhere on the property! Radisson does not have complimentary breakfast for all guests; it is part of some packages. Residence and Country Inn have breakfast included with stay. These are as close as you can get to the terminal, but that puts them a 45 minute (and more depending on traffic) drive from the airport. Radisson has the best pool.

AVOID--Best Western Suites in Cocoa Beach. We stayed there once when I had a group of 6 and needed a suite. It was just "blah."

When I arrive the evening before the cruise' date=' I prefer to stay in the MCO area. If I arrive early in the day, I might choose the WDW area or near the port, but with a 6 pm arrival...well I'd recommend that you get your luggage, your car, and head to the hotel. I don't like an hour to drive at that point; 5-10 minutes is a lot better.

Favorite hotel near MCO is the Hyatt Place NW (this is NOT the Hyatt MCO). They have the best hotel breakfast I've ever had, nice people at the desk, and good rooms. There is a pool, fitness center, and business center with a printer. Wifi in rooms. It costs a bit more than some 2.5* hotels, but everything about it is good. Also, right across the street (walking distance) to a TGI Fridays.

Totally decent, but not quite as good is the Country Inn and Suites. Cookies on arrival, good breakfast, pool, rooms were fine. Coffee and tea in the lobby. Nothing bad about it, but not quite as nice as the Hyatt Place. I would stay there again.

Another notch down is the Hampton and the Quality Suites. These are all located in the same area, within a few minutes of the airport. Every sort of food joint you can think of is in the area, and there is shopping a very short drive away.

Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area--the "big 3" are the Residence Inn, Country Inn and Suites, and Radisson. I'd recommend the first 2. The Radisson, we have been hit or miss on. They are an older property and always seem to be under construction somewhere on the property! Radisson does not have complimentary breakfast for all guests; it is part of some packages. Residence and Country Inn have breakfast included with stay. These are as close as you can get to the terminal, but that puts them a 45 minute (and more depending on traffic) drive from the airport. Radisson has the best pool.

AVOID--Best Western Suites in Cocoa Beach. We stayed there once when I had a group of 6 and needed a suite. It was just "blah."[/quote']

Why can't I think? You are an angel sent from above! :p

Of course a 1 hr drive to Cape Canaveral will make my girls super cranky after a 4 1/2 hr flight. Thank you for the suggestions.

Why can't I think? You are an angel sent from above! :p

Of course a 1 hr drive to Cape Canaveral will make my girls super cranky after a 4 1/2 hr flight. Thank you for the suggestions.

Have a great trip. I've done 30 DCL cruises plus several other lines. Happy to give suggestions on anything I can. Just ask. Any you're welcome.:)

Yes, there are several hotels that offer packages that include transportation to the cruise terminal....but I thought there was a reason that OP wanted to do a rental car.

Virtually all the decent hotels in the MCO area offer complimentary transportation from the airport to the hotel and back.

Places I'm familiar with that have cruise transportation packages are/were Hyatt Place NW (they have announced 3 times that they are ending the program and they always re-instate it at a higher price...look under "specials" on the web and call to add additional people), the Hampton, and the Wyndham MCO. The service at the Wyndham was not very well organized in the past; it may have improved. I'm sure there are other hotels with cruise transportation packages; these are just ones that I'm familiar with.