Free food!!!

stacycakes1

Well, not really. I've just always wondered if that line would actually get people to read your post, lol!!!

So, it has been a while since we (myself and my DH Paul) have been on a cruise due to a recent unexpected guest, my dd Julia:) Well we finally took the plunge and just booked a 6 day/5 night cruise in July on the Sensation with my parents and Julia.

I'm a pretty seasoned Carnival cruiser, but it has been a while since my last cruise and I have never attempted cruising with a child before!

I would love to hear about some of the more recent changes, tips and/or tricks when cruising Carnival, as well as some ideas, tips and/or tricks for cruising with a toddler. No detail is too small, I LOVE cruising info.

Yes, I know I can do searches and read about whatever I want, just thought it would be fun to have a little dialogue:)

Edited by stacycakes1

Some of my favorite adds are Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, Red Frog Pub, Alchemy Bar and yes the thin crust pizza.:cool:

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Another one I haven't tried yet is being able to order steakhouse options in the MDR for a $20.00 charge. Some of the choices are lobster, surf & turf, lamb and steakhouse level steaks. This is a good option because it is offered on all ships even if it does not have a steakhouse.

Another one I haven't tried yet is being able to order steakhouse options in the MDR for a $20.00 charge. Some of the choices are lobster, surf & turf, lamb and steakhouse level steaks. This is a good option because it is offered on all ships even if it does not have a steakhouse.

The $20.00 charge is only for one steakhouse entree. The rest of your meal is off of the regular MDR menu.

That's cool! I love the steakhouse steaks! Do they really taste as good as they do in the steakhouse?!?

I remember your review from your Mediterranean cruise! Glad to hear you are back:)

Thanks! I just saw you posted on that too:) It was such an amazing trip, I'm so glad I documented it so I never forget all that awesomeness!!!!

Fantasy Class specific

If you get assigned to the aft MDR, wait upstairs in the lounge in from of the aft Comedy lounge. You'll be able to see when the doors open and avoid the crush of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As far as cruising with a toddler, be prepared to be flexible and for the relaxation factor to be reduced. We took our daughter, who was 1 at the time, on a 7 day western aboard the Valor last year. Overall, we had a great time and she is going with us on a 4 day aboard the Victory this October.

However, we did hit a few bumps. She started cutting both top front teeth the day before we sailed so for the first 3 nights or so she was very fussy and didn't sleep well. That meant we didn't sleep well either! Also, we found food choices for her to be limited. At that time she was eating lots of veggies and turned her nose up to most meats and fruits. So we had to kind of pick and choose to get something she liked. On the plus side, the crew was awesome about helping us out! They loved her! They went out of their way to make her happy. All we had to do was ask. They even got us items not listed on the menus in the MDR because she had eaten them on previous nights.

Ports weren't too bad as we only booked an excursion in Roatan. She LOVED Little French Key! We carried a small inflatable for her and she finally went to sleep in it because she had a fit every time we tried to take her out of the water! She also loved all of the animals. Belize was a challenge since it was a tender ports, but again the crew was awesome! All the other ports we just put her in her stroller and walked around the shops and surrounding areas. We took her full size stroller which was a bit of a squeeze at times but SO worth it in terms of her comfort. Plus it was great to have a place to put bags and gifts we bought.

Overall, it was a great cruise. We just had to learn to plan everything around our daughter. No biggie really. This year will be a bit easier - we think - as she will be over 2 and can go to Camp Carnival. Don't let the naysayers hold you back, you'll have a great time and will make memories that will last forever!

OP, how old is your daughter?

As far as traveling with children, I have to say keep your expectations to a minimum and go with the flow. My daughter just recently turned 5 and has been on 4 cruises, so I have a decent amount of experience with traveling with little ones. The first cruise she was too young for regular camp carnival, but they have late night babysitting at a cost (night owls I think it is called). I figured we would make use of that. What I did not bank on was that when you are spending all day with a 15 month old, you can get a little exhausted. So by 10 p.m. we were zonked or at least I was.

Second cruise she was able to go to camp carnival. She hated it. She would cry and they would call us to pick her up. That particular cruise she was in a mood anyway. She was just over 2, so that may have been the issue. She would not nap until she finally got so exhausted she crashed (like 4-6 p.m.) and was just a bear. I mean to the point where we would have to go on walks because we were afraid security would end up at our room to investigate why this child was throwing fits.

Amazingly even after that experience, we went on a third cruise. She was 3 1/2 by then and did MUCH better in camp. She had a couple of moments, but for the most part, was a good traveler.

Then the fourth cruise she was 4. I figured being a Disney cruise she would have a blast and love the camps. The camp was so neat looking. And she did not like it much. She was usually good for about 1-2 hours and we would get the call.

Now, there were highs and lows for each of these cruises. But there were plenty of things I would have liked to do and just did not do. But even if I could go back in time, I still would have went on each cruise (even the 2 year old tantrum cruise) because I have great memories, like playing in the pool and on the beach in Cozumel, on the dock at Grand Cayman when she saw the fish below in the shallow water.

Check out the Family boards because there are lots of tips on there! We cruised with our son when he was 10 mos, son when he was 3 and dd 1.5, and we're going next sunday with both of them who are 3 and 2 (son is almost 4) Each time we had a lot of fun, but it is definitely different than just sailing dh and i! :) you have to go with the flow more and not really have anything specific planned or in mind because you're on their schedule. If they're cranky, tired or hungry it throws a wrench in things! :)

some items that i always pack when they're with us are:

• 2 sippy cups each in case one gets lost
    stroller
    dish soap
    lots of sunscreen
    pain reliever/fever reducer
    cough and cold meds
    antibacterial wipes
    hand sanitizer
    inflatable bed rail
    travel potty seat
    folding step stool
    white noise machine
    laundry soap
    small toys/things to keep them entertained

i'm sure there's more but I can't think right now lol

We waited until our son was 3 before taking him on his first cruise. It was great being able to book cruises at unbelievable rates while most kids were in school.

Went on a 7 day cruise at age 3, again at age 4, and then Glory/Valor B2B at age 5. $350/pp or less for 7 days in the Carribbean the first week of Dec. was fabulous.

Now he is a student and summer/holiday fares are really up there. We're still addicted and booked our first balcony on Legend/Alaska 7/5/2016.

Most waitstaff in the MDR go out of their way to treat kids great. That helps a lot.

Well, not really. I've just always wondered if that line would actually get people to read your post, lol!!!

So, it has been a while since we (myself and my DH Paul) have been on a cruise due to a recent unexpected guest, my dd Julia:) Well we finally took the plunge and just booked a 6 day/5 night cruise in July on the Sensation with my parents and Julia.

I'm a pretty seasoned Carnival cruiser, but it has been a while since my last cruise and I have never attempted cruising with a child before!

I would love to hear about some of the more recent changes, tips and/or tricks when cruising Carnival, as well as some ideas, tips and/or tricks for cruising with a toddler. No detail is too small, I LOVE cruising info.

Yes, I know I can do searches and read about whatever I want, just thought it would be fun to have a little dialogue:)

Okay, I bit! But I find it funny that I was going to quickly get on out of this thread as I don't have a clue, About cruising with toddlers. But, since there were not many answers I read them all, so funny, not one referred to your question about your child. Hope you have a great cruise and some better answers to your ??'s:)

Okay, I bit! But I find it funny that I was going to quickly get on out of this thread as I don't have a clue, About cruising with toddlers. But, since there were not many answers I read them all, so funny, not one referred to your question about your child. Hope you have a great cruise and some better answers to your ??'s:)

Yikes!!! guess i type too slow!! After I posted this I see that I was wrong. So Sorry!