cruise tour 5b alaska may 21 2017

boundalaska

we booked our cruise/tour 5b for may 21, 2017. any one have suggestion as to a company that does tours on land and at the ports.And what the most important places/things to see and do/ most tour listed with the tour seem to be the same type at every port any suggestion I would really appreciate.

Anchorage/Denali/Alyeska/Talkeentna - Land 5 nights

Seward/Juneau/Ketchikan/icy strait/Skagway end in Vancouver

We are planning on flying into Anchorage a day early and stay in Vancouver and extra day. This is our 1st cruise and Alaska is a bucket list place. trying to see it all.

Which cruiseline?

You need to post a link to your itinerary, or, list your times at each location, otherwise we don't know how much time you're working with. No point is suggesting a 5 hr tour if you're only in port for 4hrs !

Look over your ships excursion list and see what looks interesting. People can suggest private vendors to replicate the experience.

At Denali which park tour is included?

I would also encourage you to look at trip reports/ photojournals posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. The first line of the report indicates the ship, date, itineraries, ports. Find an itinerary that matches yours to find a first hand report on activities, excursions, etc. Such as this 2014 report from 4cats1dog which is an early-season trip like yours.

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/search/label/VANCOUVER

And there are books specific to Alaska cruises that will help you with your planning. Check your library for FODOR's "ALaska Ports of Call" or Ann Viponds " Alaska by cruiseship".

You've got a year ... take advantage of that time to research the towns and ports and make the most of your trip. Have fun with the research!

My only comment is regarding Denali. If you're booked on the Natural History Tour (NHT), you only get to mile 16 of the park road, and there are almost 100 miles of road available to the shuttle and tour buses! You will obviously miss most of the scenery and wildlife if you stay with the NHT.

My recommendation would be to drop the NHT and take the Eielson Visitor Center shuttle (mile 66) but you are too early in the season, so the next best option is to upgrade to the Tundra Wildlife Tour TWT (Mile 52).

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

Hard to make suggestions for excursions .... there are hundreds of options and you don't indicate your interests, budget, or physical ability. The trip report I linked yesterday looks to be the same cruisetour you're taking. Perhaps it will give you some suggestions. Read thru other trip reports for more ideas. But your cruiseline is a good starting point. Narrow your choices down, then post back for feedback on private vendors, etc.

Edited by mapleleaves

I'll tell you what worked well for me. I read a lot and studied the different ports and what was available before I ever looked for help or read personal reviews. I then tried to line up what I thought was most interesting and then started reading reviews. In most cases the reviews helped solidify my opinions and a few moved me away from some excursions. In all the reviews and the opinions of people on this board were very helpful, but the help they provided were to add that little "insight" to the excursion, not make the decision on what excursion to take. have fun planning and enjoy the trip.