Carnival in the Med?

Dunnik

Ahoy,

Thinking of going on the Western Med run aboard the brand-new Carnival Vista this summer.

After reading some reviews and browsing the forums, I still have some questions!

Demographics: a Med cruise would tend, I'd think, to skew slightly older than CCL's normally younger crowd in the Caribbean, while still retaining one of the more youthful demographics in the Med? And a related subject:

Nightlife: on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a Cunard World Cruise and 10 being Spring Break in the Caribbean, how would you rate a CCL Med cruise?

Excursions: considering CCL just has to tap the contractors they already use for PCL, etc., I imagine they're as good as any, yes?

Long Lines: the last cruise I was on was when I was 18 on the SS Norway, a ship from a much different age. I've heard bigger ships have big lines, but that you can buy your way past them. Is it worth it to do so?

Dress Code: Obviously CCL is not Cunard or Crystal, but are the Med cruises a little less casual than the Caribbean cruises, especially on formal nights? Or is there still an element of No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem!

Adrift on a Plague Ship: there haven't been any recent incidents of this nature, so has CCL upped their game or are they just lucky? Bookings seem to be up overall, so maybe that's my answer?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Edited by Dunnik

If your last cruise was on NCL Norway you are in for a treat with the new ships. IMO a much better experience. I've done 30 + cruises.

Yes indeed, although I'd much rather be on the old Norway in rough weather. We skirted the edge of a tropical storm on our trip, and she rode it like the the transatlantic liner she once was. The Vista would just tip over.

Another difference is there's 4000 people lining up, not 1000. Should I pay to get closer to the head of the line?

Edited by Dunnik

Would it be speculation to comment on what to expect on a ship that hasn't sailed yet?

I sailed Princess in the Med, so my experience doesn't apply.

So wait, I know the ship itself is new, but I thought CCL had been doing the Med for a couple years now. Not the case? The Vista's maiden voyage in May is their first run over there?

If so, then yes, so no one can know for sure.

So perhaps we could speculate, then?

Edited by Dunnik

Another difference is there's 4000 people lining up, not 1000. Should I pay to get closer to the head of the line?

When you talk about paying to get closer to the head of the line, I assume you're talking about Faster to the Fun. I found this to be well worth it. It doesn't help with lines for buffets, etc., but it saved us a lot of standing in line at embarkation and later when we needed to go to Guest Services. It runs from $49.95 to $59.95 per cabin, depending on the length of your cruise, and you have to be pretty quick on the draw to get it. Only a relatively small number of Faster to the Fun passes are made available.

So wait, I know the ship itself is new, but I thought CCL had been doing the Med for a couple years now. Not the case? The Vista's maiden voyage in May is their first run over there?

If so, then yes, so no one can know for sure.

So perhaps we could speculate, then?

I found on the Breeze med voyage that it was indeed less casual and less party goers.

This worked well for us as we're not those kind of people. We spent a lot of time on Serenity, or in the library bar and had a great time :)

Demographics: longer cruises always have a older crowd

Nightlife: for CCL cruises, its about the same but less Caribbean music playing near the pools and more of a range of music inside the ship since the passengers come from all over

Excursions: I tend to opt for private excursions so I cant say but I am sure they are good otherwise people would complain left and right

Long Lines: FTTF is not avl on Med cruises

Dress Code: CCL is more relaxed in all respects

Adrift on a Plague Ship: this isnt applicable since it goes no where near the 'piratey' areas of Africa...if you want to worry, consider Turkey as a worrisome spot (although I dont and am going on the Vista May 14 stopping in Turkey)

Edited by goldesq

Ahoy,

Thinking of going on the Western Med run aboard the brand-new Carnival Vista this summer.

After reading some reviews and browsing the forums, I still have some questions!

Demographics: a Med cruise would tend, I'd think, to skew slightly older than CCL's normally younger crowd in the Caribbean, while still retaining one of the more youthful demographics in the Med? And a related subject:

Nightlife: on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a Cunard World Cruise and 10 being Spring Break in the Caribbean, how would you rate a CCL Med cruise?

Excursions: considering CCL just has to tap the contractors they already use for PCL, etc., I imagine they're as good as any, yes?

Long Lines: the last cruise I was on was when I was 18 on the SS Norway, a ship from a much different age. I've heard bigger ships have big lines, but that you can buy your way past them. Is it worth it to do so?

Dress Code: Obviously CCL is not Cunard or Crystal, but are the Med cruises a little less casual than the Caribbean cruises, especially on formal nights? Or is there still an element of No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem!

Adrift on a Plague Ship: there haven't been any recent incidents of this nature, so has CCL upped their game or are they just lucky? Bookings seem to be up overall, so maybe that's my answer?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

I will do my best to respond. I was on the Sunshine a few years ago right after the Reno in the Mediterranean so that is the experience I can draw from here. I have also sailed on Celebrity and for sure there are differences but we enjoyed both.

The demographics are certainly different to a large degree because it is the Mediterranean and not the Caribbean. It was July and there were not many children aboard but there were a fair number of teens. So yes the demographic was older than what you might find on a Caribbean cruise for sure.

Nightlife is something I can't much comment on as with the itinerary we found it so exhausting it was all we could do to stay awake for the show. The comedy club is really fun though and get there early to get a seat. Lots of entertainment throughout the ship though if you are looking for something.

Excursions seem to be same as any other line. Tour operators were all good although we only did a few. We had one issue on a tour and Carnival handled it nicely and refunded some of the money.

We didn't notice any long lines to speak of. The only exception to this would be the first night in the MDR where chaos ruled the night. There were so many people waiting to be seated that we decided to just buffet it. By the next evening everything was fine. Same issues with seating in the buffet area as on any cruise where there always seems to be a shortage at prime times.

Dress code is certainly relaxed here as compared with Celebrity but that was something we really appreciated. After hours of hot and sticky weather in port we were happy not to have to don evening gowns for dinner. Also it's tough enough packing for Europe if you are doing pre and post there without having to drag along fancy dinner wear!

We really enjoyed our Med cruise on this ship even despite the fact that my husband had a caterpillar served to him in his salad on the last evening in the MDR. The poor thing was frozen and we all got to watch his return to the world as he thawed out. We had a good laugh over that and I wasn't about to let a little caterpillar ruin what was a fantastic holiday....besides it was on my husbands plate not mine!

I really don't think you can go wrong with any cruise line in the Med. It's really about the ports not the ship. That being said we are anxiously awaiting our May 24 booking on the Vista and have no hesitation about a return to Carnival to take us there!

I really don't think you can go wrong with any cruise line in the Med. It's really about the ports not the ship. That being said we are anxiously awaiting our May 24 booking on the Vista and have no hesitation about a return to Carnival to take us there!

Funny, we see it the complete opposite :D A lot of the cruise we don't even get off, we love the floating vacation resort :D

Regarding the demographics. My wife and I did a similar itinerary last November on NCL Epic and the passenger breakdown was roughly as follows, 40% North Americans, 40% British/Irish/other Europeans and 20% Asians. There were very few school age children on board, the majority of passengers were between the ages of 35 and 55

I have done med cruises now on carnival ncl and royal. I'm looking forward to the new vista.

In my experience,

-lines were not an issue

- no fttf for Europe itenerarys

- people do dress up , real mix

-entertainment is good but after long tours u are usually tired by 10 lol

-try to book private tours on your roll call . I can personally recommend italytoursharing.com

-very smooth seas

-mixed ages, found slot of 50-60 yr olds

-turkey is a highlight

-pool area busy on sea days