Can anyone shop at any cruise ship pier? (and restaurant advice)

tusconcam

Boy I know this sounds silly but can anyone shop and eat at any cruise ship pier in Cozumel?

In looking up info on different piers for shopping available for my girlfriend (and restaurants for me predominantly) I came across a YouTube video about Puerta Maya and it had an infomercial tone to it, but anyway it said that Puerta Maya Pier shops were only available to the cruise ships that dock at that pier.

I found that odd as it would certainly reduce potential sales by doing that instead of opening it up to all the ships in all the piers that day.

I will be docking at the International Pier and would like to have all piers' stores/restaurants available to browse/grab a bite at.Of course most on this forum suggest downtown so that will be a destination of course too.

I know that there will be constant sales pressure and touristy items, but it will keep my girlfriend happy.

If I'm looking for a fun casual restaurant overlooking the water how does Pancho's backyard (at Puerta Maya Pier) and Three Amigos stack up? Any other suggestions?

I don't think we'll have much time around the piers/downtown to eat, so that's why I'm asking for opinions here so there's less running around/guessing when there.

(yes I have looked at many Trip Advisor reviews: I'd just like some advice please)

Thanks very much.

Boy I know this sounds silly but can anyone shop and eat at any cruise ship pier in Cozumel?

No. The Puerta Maya pier are the berths owned by Carnival Cruise lines, and used for Carnival, Holland America and Princess. The International Pier are the berths owned by Royal Caribbean, used by Royal and Celebrity. Only passengers on ships docked at each pier are allowed inside. That is for security reasons. They check ship cards at the gate entrance.

If you want to go to Panchos Backyard they have a downtown location. Not on the water. It is decent but there are better restaurants downtown. Three Amigos won't be availabe to you but there is something similiar at the International pier. I can't recall the name cause those joints are all similiar. Three Amigos is like a Carlos and Charlies or Senior Frogs, Marguerites, shooters, festive, risque balloons, drink to much and lousy food.

Edited by Charles4515

On another thread someone says they will let people into the shopping area who are not on ships docked there. So maybe I am wrong.

You are very right. All are welcomed to eat and shop there.

There's not a security check until you are passed the shops & bars and enter the exit to walk back to the ship. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Pancho's Backyard was decent food but I can get better spice a block from my house in California. What they held back in spices they made up for in tequila in my margarita. As my DH said, "Tequila is cheap. Margarita mix is expensive." He also said, "Oh honey, someone who drinks 3 beers and 2 glasses of wine in a year probably shouldn't tackle that," and later, "Just hang onto my arm, I'll get you across the street safely. No, that's still water out there, not a Monet painting. Yes, I know it's all fuzzy looking."

Pancho's Backyard was decent food but I can get better spice a block from my house in California. What they held back in spices they made up for in tequila in my margarita. As my DH said, "Tequila is cheap. Margarita mix is expensive." He also said, "Oh honey, someone who drinks 3 beers and 2 glasses of wine in a year probably shouldn't tackle that," and later, "Just hang onto my arm, I'll get you across the street safely. No, that's still water out there, not a Monet painting. Yes, I know it's all fuzzy looking."

You sure you're not my DW in disguise on these boards?:D ;) That's what I said to her when she let the waiter talk her into a "Vacation" size.

And I agree on the spice...but remember, they're catering to tourists whose ideal of Mexican food is TB or El Patio frozen dinners, and "heat" is 'mild' taco sauce over a stuffed green bell pepper masquerading as a relleno, whereas you live in an area where more traditional styles are served. There are great local loncheras and comidas around the island cooking for local tastes. Check one out next time.:)