Ruins worth the trip?

leekristina25

I've been to Altun Ha and Xunantunich. Xunantunich is worth seeing if you've never seen Maya ruins before. Some people like Lamanai because of its isolation, still being excavated and they feel like "Indiana Jones", whereas the other two are more excavated and have "manicured" grounds.

Altun Ha is a great place if you're not looking for an all day affair. Only about 45-minutes to an hour outside of the cruise tender pier complex. Thus a cheaper/sorter day. But not as large as Xunantunich and not the same type of vistas.

I've been to Altun Ha and Xunantunich. Xunantunich is worth seeing if you've never seen Maya ruins before. Some people like Lamanai because of its isolation, still being excavated and they feel like "Indiana Jones", whereas the other two are more excavated and have "manicured" grounds.

Altun Ha is a great place if you're not looking for an all day affair. Only about 45-minutes to an hour outside of the cruise tender pier complex. Thus a cheaper/sorter day. But not as large as Xunantunich and not the same type of vistas.

There doesn't seem to be much to do in Belize so I don't mind spending the day traveling to Xunantunich of it's worth the drive. Which of these were your favorites? And what is your favorite excursion in this port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There doesn't seem to be much to do in Belize so I don't mind spending the day traveling to Xunantunich of it's worth the drive. Which of these were your favorites? And what is your favorite excursion in this port?

Both about the same. We did Xunantunich via a ship excursion. Altun Ha was with a private vendor.

For Favs in Belize: Shark Ray Alley snorkeling and Cave-tubing. Both with private vendors

Both about the same. We did Xunantunich via a ship excursion. Altun Ha was with a private vendor.

For Favs in Belize: Shark Ray Alley snorkeling and Cave-tubing. Both with private vendors

Edited by leekristina25

We went last year to Xunantunich via ship excursion (it is an all day trip so definitely book it through the cruise line so if you are late they will still wait for you). This is the only ruins we have been to so I am afraid I can't compare it to others (yet) but it was definitely the highlight of our cruise and by far one of the best excursions we have ever done.

The long bus ride did not seem so bad to us, but I enjoy watching the countryside go by and getting a glimpse of how others live so I mostly stared out the windows. The guide was great in my opinion. The ruins are breathtaking especially if decide to take the guided tour up to the top to look at the spectacular views (although not overly strenuous, it is a bit of a climb in some spots, but again worth it) We have older teenagers and they also loved this.

It is very hot there so light clothing is a must and bottled water is not a bad idea either as well as some snacks for kids (we picked up some cereal boxes from the lido deck earlier in the morning for snacks as lunch is kind of late and after you visit the ruins).

hope that helps in your decision.

have fun with whatever you decide to do :0)

Thank you for your input. I had previously considered shark ray alley but I really want to see Mayan ruins... It's so hard to choose but I don't want to miss out on something so spectacular as the ruins!

Edited by leekristina25

I loved Lamanai, it includes a river boat ride and howler monkeys greeted us with howls. Of the three Mayan ruins, these were my second favorite ruins right after Tikal in Guatemala.

Lamanai sounds wonderful but is not offered by Carnival. [emoji26]