The Pearl - The Naked Truth

Va. Plumber

Embarkation: We arrived a little before 11:00. Security and the Latitudes lines were relatively quick. We did sit until after 12:00 in the holding area. This is always a zoo. Would someone please explain why people refuse to check their bags at the curb? Do they really think someone is going to steal their belongings? The crush of people is bad enough without having to navigate around large suitcases. I can only imagine the delay going through security. Do those bags actually fit in the scanners? Why would you want to start a vacation by dragging huge suitcase through a crowded terminal and onto the ship?

I found the Pearl to be really clean and fit. you may have noticed me crawling around looking for torn or dirty carpet. For a ship scheduled for dry dock, I didn't see any glaring problems. We did have issues with locking our balcony door and the telephone handset. Nothing earth shattering. We had a fantastic room steward, Rajkumar. He was very unobtrusive and kept the room spotless. The second day he noticed that I had a CPAP and asked if we wanted a jug of distilled water, which he provided.

I kept looking for the sullen and unhappy crew members that some CCers claim are rampant on NCL ships. If they were there, we didn't run into them.

Service was wonderful. Some of the crew were absolutely delightful. Nancy, Armondo and Bernardo who work in Cagney's were always a bright spot.

We loved the Pearl. I realize that I am going against the tide, but we really enjoy the smaller ships. The mega-ships just don't have the same vibe.

Did not have the UBP. Never seemed to have a problem getting a drink. Not a big drinker, but found service at the bars to be relatively fast. Didn't rely on strolling waiters that much. Usually just walked up.

This was the first time we purchased the wine package. We bought the four bottle basic package for $104.00 total including service charge and enjoyed a glass or more the eight nights in the specialties. I used to think it was a good idea to carry your own wine and pay the corkage fee. What a pain in the tail.

Biggest issue is packing for airline. The only thing worse than forgetting one bag at home would be to have one break in your luggage. Then, of course, you have to remove it before checking bags at ship so you can declare it and pay corkage. Unless you are wedded to a particular vintage or spend less than $15.00 a bottle at home, it probably doesn't make sense. If you have the UBP, it becomes even less an option.

We bought spa passes online. This is one of our favorite things about NCL and the Pearl did not disappoint. It features a large circulating pool with therapy beds and two fire hose like showers. These give the effect of a deep tissue massage to your head and shoulders. The lounge area had heated tile beds and regular loungers facing the bow. The male/female areas included lounge area, steam and sauna, cold plunge bath and conventional jetted tub.

We never encountered more than 10 or 12 people there at any time.

More to come.

Edited by Va. Plumber

DW and I left home on Saturday 3/12 to fly to Miami two days early. The airport is about 70 miles from home. As we were loading bags onto parking shuttle bus, she noticed that we were one bag short. We only had one large suitcase and a smaller one. The night before she had transferred some clothes from each of the two big bags into the smaller one. She was very upset as we did not have time to drive home to retrieve the other one. She became less upset when she discovered it was my bag containing 80% of my clothes for a 12 day trip. I was left with two changes of underwear, no socks, one polo shirt, three pairs of trousers and one pair of shorts.

During a Saturday evening foray to Bayside Marketplace, I discovered they don't have any stores catering to 70 year-old fat men. I was able to find some underwear, socks, a couple of polos, two pair of shorts and a couple of regular shirts. Thank God NCL offers the $19.95 laundry bag deal. I barely survived. Fortunately the laundry came back two days earlier than advertised. I guess it was cheaper to replace my clothes than buy DW a new wardrobe.

Did learn two things: Next time cross pack. Also you can get by with fewer clothes than you think you can.

As for the cruise itself, we were on the 10 night Panama Canal trip. We loved it. I had booked a guaranteed balcony which I had never chanced before. My cabin assignment came relatively early. Cabin 8018 was a hull balcony near the bow. I was concerned, plus it was directly over the Stardust Theater. Turned out it was not a problem. The cabin was spacious and noise free, plus the balcony had the added benefit of the hull framework as a foot rest while lounging.

I signed up to coordinate the Meet & Greet. We had over 60 people show up to meet the Captain, Hotel Director, Cruise Director and several other department heads. You may wonder how much clout cruise critic has. Apparently quite a bit. The Hotel Director announced that he wanted us to meet again on the last sea day with him and other officers to get our feedback about the cruise. I had never experienced this before. They seemed very interested in our comments and took lots of notes. As it turns out, there were very few complaints.

At the first meeting I asked the Cruise Director about the possibility of getting the television feed for March Madness. She said she would look into it, but there were contractual and logistic issues involved. Sure enough, come Thursday we had NCAA basketball. When I thanked her before the last meeting, she gave me all the credit. Not only was it broadcast on the Pearl, but it was on fleetwide. Whether true or not, I'll take the credit.

Chalk this one up to Cruisers Do The Dumbest Things: We were lounging on Deck 13 above the pool on the second day. You all know about the drapery -like cover that they place on the foot of the bed. There was a woman by the pool using one as a bathing suit cover up. Go figure!

I'll close for now. the ship, staff, food and ports to follow.

The last 2 M&G we have had, they met with us again the last sea day. I think they are really trying. BTW both were on the Pearl if I remember right?

I am enjoying your review: we have sailed the Pearl 3 or 4 times: next we are doing the Epic.

And the dreaded forgotten bag it happened to our daughter years ago when we were doing Alaska. Like you, we arrived a few days early so she had time to shop.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have subscribed - I am on the March 13th Panama Cruise - I'll take all and any information you can give me like a sponge please.

Can you also tell me about the excursions offered for the Canal (Gutan Lake stop) itself - and the approx cost of them? I can find nothing no far. I'd love to have the opportunity to completely go thorough to the Miraflores Locks via the canal and am hoping NCL offer's a way to do this.

Can you also tell me about the excursions offered for the Canal (Gutan Lake stop) itself - and the approx cost of them? I can find nothing no far. I'd love to have the opportunity to completely go thorough to the Miraflores Locks via the canal and am hoping NCL offer's a way to do this.

Go to NCL website and tab plan your vacation. There is a tab for excursions. You tab Panama Canal. Then look for ports listed below. This wiil give you all the Canal excursions. You can only book through NCL There are no private trips.

I will discuss ports in next instalment.

FOOD: We had the full UDP. We ate the first night in O'Sheehan's, primarily because I had the impression from CC that it was a prime rib night. It wasn't.

I had the meat loaf. It was good meat loaf, but it was after all meat loaf. I was disappointed to find out that they didn't offer the ice cream treats we had experienced on the Epic. Not that I needed it, but it was nice. We ate lunch there in Cartagena. The service was a disjointed that day, but it was packed with folks returning for the 2:00 departure.

We had dinner one evening in the Asian. I had experienced almost glacial service in the past on other ships. This night they were packed but food and service were excellent. We also ate lunch there one day and early appetizers

one night when we had late dinner reservations elsewhere.

We only ate twice in the MDRs. Went to Summer Palace for lunch after boarding. It was not at all crowded. Service and food were excellent. We had late dessert one nigh in the other place.

I had only pre-booked four dinners, one each in Cagney's, Moderno, La Cucina and La Bistro. Not really my intent to avoid the MDRs, but we wound up doing Cagney's and La Cucina three times. We tried for Cagney's the last night but they only had a 9:30 opening, so we went Italian earlier. That was the only hiccup as far as specialty reservations. We did not find any of them overly crowded to the point of affecting service.

Please don't flame me, but what follows are my strong feelings with regard to the specialty places. People love to slam Cagney's and La Cucina. comparing them to Outback and Olive Garden. Most cruisers to not frequent high dollar steakhouses and do not eat New York Italian. People dine at specialties for the food, the ambiance and the service. Sure, maybe some

experienced less than stellar service at times, but this is the rare instance and not the norm. Don't suppose anyone has ever had a bad night at a land-based restaurant.

The only comparison between Cagney's and Outback is that they are both dimly lit. Our three Cagney dinners were excellent. Don't remember seeing a 32 oz. porterhouse at Outback. Ours was a perfect medium rare, tender and delicious. I may have eaten at one of the "biggies" three or four times in my life. I guess my Presbyterian genes have a hard time justifying spending $32 -45.00 for a steak plus $14.95 each for a salad, baked potato and other sides.

Likewise, Cucina was excellent. Their lamb chops and Osso Bucco were spot on. One evening we ordered cappuccino with dessert. They were having problems with the machine. They apologized several time for delay and finally went to another restaurant to get it. Despite our protest they wouldn't let us pay for it.

La Bistro was another hit. For dessert we ordered the chocolate fondue. DW allowed as how it would be nice to have some sponge cake to dip. Voila! A few minutes later the cake appeared.

I have a major problem with Moderno. It's entirely too much damn food. Oh, it was great, but we were stuffed after a couple of passes. As others have noted, the appetizers and salads are to die for.

FYI: We made a point of tipping $10.00 extra at each restaurant. A couple of times our waiter followed out the door to shake hands and thank us.

All for now, back later.

Thanks for the great review I am printing posts & taking notes:). Will you be posting more on this thread? I also read your "ports" thread, can you answer any of the questions I had in previous posts #18 & 22. Again thanks so much and would appreciate any info you can providenb here.

Embarkation:

We bought spa passes online. This is one of our favorite things about NCL and the Pearl did not disappoint. It features a large circulating pool with therapy beds and two fire hose like showers. These give the effect of a deep tissue massage to your head and shoulders. The lounge area had heated tile beds and regular loungers facing the bow. The male/female areas included lounge area, steam and sauna, cold plunge bath and conventional jetted tub.

We never encountered more than 10 or 12 people there at any time.

More to come.[/QUOT

How much were the spa passes?

Thanks