Can I order (preorder) a cake from Carlo's Bakery on the Getaway?

valandemmy

Yes, you can pre-order through myNCL. Also, if you let them know in advance that you are celebrating a birthday, they will give you a coupon to redeem for a cake in any restaurant. Illusionarium might be tough because of the show, but most anyplace else should not be a problem.

Yes, you can pre-order through myNCL. Also, if you let them know in advance that you are celebrating a birthday, they will give you a coupon to redeem for a cake in any restaurant. Illusionarium might be tough because of the show, but most anyplace else should not be a problem.

Where did you see that you order a cake on myNCL? I can't find that.

Under Gifts & More, there are 19 cakes from Carlo's Bake Shop to choose from.

NCL no longer has a contract with Carlo's, per the officers on Jade at the meet and greet on the 3/12-3/19 cruise. The cakes/cupcakes/etc were baked in (what is it, NJ?), then frozen and shipped to the ships. According to them, most of the time, the cakes/etc were either moldy or otherwise yucky and caused a lot of complaints. Therefore, they did not renew the contract with him.

Now the cakes are baked on board.

Edited by Starflyr3

NCL no longer has a contract with Carlo's, per the officers on Jade at the meet and greet on the 3/12-3/19 cruise. The cakes/cupcakes/etc were baked in (what is it, NJ?), then frozen and shipped to the ships. According to them, most of the time, the cakes/etc were either moldy or otherwise yucky and caused a lot of complaints. Therefore, they did not renew the contract with him.

Perhaps you can order it on board? The birthday package is nice also- not Carlos, but they will decorate your cabin with streamers and balloons and have a cake. It's 35 dollars I believe and it is available at NCL.com.

Yucky is the right word. My son ordered a Carlo's chocolate cake for my birthday while we on the Jewel. The cake arrived a day late and very sloppy. It was a tiramisu cake, not chocolate. The good part is that it tasted great.

We had a suite and I mentioned to our concierge, Virginia, that I was expecting a chocolate cake from my son. She was not at all interested that the cake was late, the wrong flavor and looked liked it had received some rough handling.

So I guess I was one of the complainers.

Edited by kcwingwalker

The Birthday Party package comes with a cake. Nothing too fancy (i.e. nothing more than the cake you can get up in the buffet). But your room steward will set up the streamers, banners, and balloons and bring the cake for you.

That being said,,, we decorate our room on every cruise. There is always some reason to celebrate being on the water (and we have been on 10 cruises over the past two years). Most of our decorations come from the local Dollar Store (we throw most of it out on the last night of the cruise,,, help the cabin steward by taking things down).

• 3 weeks later...

I called customer service and placed an order for a 10" round birthday cake for our upcoming cruise. It was a little more expensive than the room decorating package online but I wanted the cake for dessert after dinner. While I like the idea of the decorated room, I didn't want the birthday girl walking into the room without us. It's a sea day of us we'll probably be in and out of the room all day.

The agent explained I'll get a card for my cake order since we're on freestyle dining. I'm to give the card to the maitre d when we arrive at the restaurant and they will bring the cake out after dinner.