New Suit Cases

retiredbrit

Perhaps an odd question!

We have just bought 2 large Antler Roller cases – with a telescopic handle ready for our next cruise.

They look excellent - but are they as easy to pack as our old conventional cases which had two wheels on the narrow edge?

The new ones have two tubes running the length of the case to give strength and for the telescopic handle to slide into when in the stowed position. So of course the inside base of the case is not flat.

When packing I always get in first to make sure my suit and trousers go in first (some in each case), and lie flat at the bottom of the case.

Any one with experience of this type of case – all roller cases I have seen have similar tubes inside. How to you get over this? Do you pad the bottom or ignore it? Or perhaps let your good lady put her things in first?

I ask this as we are an equal opportunity household and pack our own clothes, last year I left trousers hanging on the door at home but fortunately I took enough not to miss them.

Any tips or hints very welcome

regards

I know exactly what you mean, those bars are really in the way and prevent you from packing as flat as an old-fashioned suitcase. They also take up a whole lot of suitcase room. I have found that using packing folders helps considerably. I usually put the things I don't mind getting wrinkled on the bottom of the case, inside "Ziploc" baggies. Here in the States you can purchase a rather large size 2 and a half gallon and will hold quite a bit. The bottom baggies help to cushion my packing envelopes. I fill in the perimeter and center with shoes.

I'll show you a link to the folders, they also have handy packing cubes:

http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/pack_it_reg_folder_15/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=5356

You are wise to cross-pack, in case one of your new suitcases decides to travel to a different destination than you! But, I would put your suit and trousers on the top, instead.

Have a safe, healthy and fun trip!

I have found that using packing folders helps considerably.

I'll show you a link to the folders, they also have handy packing cubes:

http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/pack_it_reg_folder_15/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=5356

I bought these on the advise of CC members - the only down side is that they work so well, I can pack way too much in them and they do add a certain amount of weight to the bag. I had to be careful as my 29" Upright was weighing in over 50 lbs. It is a brand new Samsonite - unfortunately it wasn't one of their 3000XLT (extra lite) Live and learn. Tomorrow I go and get a25" 3000XLT (on sale of course). That way I can make the smaller one the heavier one and use the large one for the suits and formals.

Archived