Anyone Have Cruise Critic on Android Phone?

Murray's Pop

I have had CC on my Android phone for a long time and enjoyed it. However recently I noticed an update that has changed what you get. In the previous version you did not get the "stickies" showing up on the page, but now there they are, taking up almost an entire page. Also when you click on a thread rather than going to the first post, it now takes you directly to the most recent post. Anyone else notice this?

Not real thrilled with this new look. When I go to a thread I want to start at the beginning rather than the end. Would be nice to get the original back. Guess I'll have to delete the update and see if that helps. :confused:

I have had CC on my Android phone for a long time and enjoyed it. However recently I noticed an update that has changed what you get. In the previous version you did not get the "stickies" showing up on the page' date=' but now there they are, taking up almost an entire page. Also when you click on a thread rather than going to the first post, it now takes you directly to the most recent post. Anyone else notice this?

Not real thrilled with this new look. When I go to a thread I want to start at the beginning rather than the end. Would be nice to get the original back. Guess I'll have to delete the update and see if that helps. :confused:[/quote']

You'll get used to it. [emoji1] I prefer going straight to the end especially if I am familar with the topic. If not, I go back to the start.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I have learned to make .apk backups of my favorite Android apps. This allows me to go back to the previous version if I don't like the upgrade, even if the old version is no longer available online.

Also, I do not allow anything on my Android phone to update automatically.

APK is like a zip file or an .msi installer file for Windows. "APK Extractor" is a good utility for this purpose. Some technical knowledge is required, but it isn't too hard.

igraf

Well uninstalled and tried again. No luck' date=' still not working like it used to. Not happy. ��[/quote']
Edited by igraf

I gave up a long time ago and went back to Tapatalk to access Cruise Critic. Granted I have an iPhone but I did not like the formatting that the Cruise Critic App had to begin with. I have a couple of other chat boards like MacRumors Forums. This combines mine Forums as well as it gives me a whole section for Subscriptions which are threads I have posted to or have designated such as just the HAL board and NCL Board. I find it much easier to follow.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Although I'm definitely no android expert nor a computer expert, it may be worthwhile to check your Control Panel settings.

Just go to the UserCP dropdown menu at the top left corner of this and every other page in Cruise Critic.

I have had CC on my Android phone for a long time and enjoyed it. However recently I noticed an update that has changed what you get. In the previous version you did not get the "stickies" showing up on the page' date=' but now there they are, taking up almost an entire page. Also when you click on a thread rather than going to the first post, it now takes you directly to the most recent post. Anyone else notice this?

Not real thrilled with this new look. When I go to a thread I want to start at the beginning rather than the end. Would be nice to get the original back. Guess I'll have to delete the update and see if that helps. :confused:[/quote']

I use android and this does not happen on my phone. It goes to the beginning of each page unless I post, then it goes to the end.

From the main screen, click the hamburger menu, the three lines next to the CruiseCritic logo. (Pat yourself on the back for learning what that little three lines thing is called.)

You should then see the settings gear, like so:

c3486fbf085a78079d5106a7a64e6e5c.jpg

Click the gear. That will bring up the settings menu. From there, you can make things just the way you want. The settings you had probably got reset when you updated.

2147b80f1d540c615d98b272854084f3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Curious what kind of phone you are using please? Android, Apple, Windows? Ask as mine looks different and prefer the iPad. But no question on tapatalk CC is different. No titles can be seen and I find the same on phone.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a Samsung android phone. I have no idea why it would look so different on each of your devises. My phone is fairly new and I've taken it to my provider when I've had issues and they have been just excellent in helping with issues. Maybe that could help you as well. Either that or Lizzie could help you as well. I think she posted that she has no issues and I know that you correspond with each other. Good luck. I hope you get it straightened out!

Edited by cruz chic

I have a Samsung android phone. I have no idea why it would look so different on each of your devises. My phone is fairly new and I've taken it to my provider when I've had issues and they have been just excellent in helping with issues. Maybe that could help you as well. Either that or Lizzie could help you as well. I think she posted that she has no issues and I know that you correspond with each other. Good luck. I hope you get it straightened out!

I correspond with a lot of CC members, but you are the one who posted something that prompted a question. Thx.

I correspond with a lot of CC members, but you are the one who posted something that prompted a question. Thx.

Did my phone information help? Now you've got me curious as to what type of phone you have. Thx.

Edited by cruz chic

Curious what kind of phone you are using please? Android, Apple, Windows? Ask as mine looks different and prefer the iPad. But no question on tapatalk CC is different. No titles can be seen and I find the same on phone.

Thanks for sharing.

Do you mean thread titles or the "Cool Cruiser" text? I get the thread title in the status stripe at the top of the app. When I click on the expansion triangle, I get the pop out of the threading tree like so:

0b89aa0aae225bf5ac0278799d435dbf.jpg

From the main screen, click the hamburger menu, the three lines next to the CruiseCritic logo. (Pat yourself on the back for learning what that little three lines thing is called.)

You should then see the settings gear, like so:

c3486fbf085a78079d5106a7a64e6e5c.jpg

Click the gear. That will bring up the settings menu. From there, you can make things just the way you want. The settings you had probably got reset when you updated.

2147b80f1d540c615d98b272854084f3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thank you Sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar. Somehow after a couple of years I forgot the "settings" screen was hard to find. Back to normal.

Thank you Sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar. Somehow after a couple of years I forgot the "settings" screen was hard to find. Back to normal.

Always happy to be of service! It's not exactly obvious where the settings menu is. I wasn't sure if it was the same as Tapatalk, so I installed the CC Android app so I could check for you.

It turns out that both CC and Tapatalk have the same settings menu location. Tapatalk's is "up a level" because Tapatalk supports multiple forums while CC only supports Cruise Critic. Hopefully I'll remember next time someone asks. :)

Also, both the Android and iOS versions work the same way, although the iOS version manages its notifications a little differently.

Do you mean thread titles or the "Cool Cruiser" text? I get the thread title in the status stripe at the top of the app. When I click on the expansion triangle, I get the pop out of the threading tree like so:

0b89aa0aae225bf5ac0278799d435dbf.jpg

I mean the title for individual threads POA. I just did it here. Do you see it? I don't see it on tapatalk or the other app for posts on the future cruise listing. Neither does Roy. (Rafinmd)

Cruz chic - using a Samsung Galaxy 4

Edited by kazu

I mean the title for individual threads POA. I just did it here. Do you see it? I don't see it on tapatalk or the other app for posts on the future cruise listing. Neither does Roy. (Rafinmd)

Cruz chic - using a Samsung Galaxy 4

We might be using different nomenclature, so let me clarify:

Thread title = the title the first person gave to a thread. You'll always see this.

Post titles = titles that someone gives to a post inside a thread. You don't see these unless you are using a web browser - ever.

Both Tapatalk and the CC app are based on Tapatalk, which doesn't support the display of post titles on CruiseCritic's version of vBulletin. Neither of them allow you to input thread titles either.

I've been "burned" a couple of times when I didn't understand what someone meant because part of their post was in the post title field. That's why I try not to put important information in the post title when using the web version of CruiseCritic.

Edited by POA1

We might be using different nomenclature, so let me clarify:

Thread title = the title the first person gave to a thread. You'll always see this.

Post titles = titles that someone gives to a post inside a thread. You don't see these unless you are using a web browser - ever.

Both Tapatalk and the CC app are based on Tapatalk, which doesn't support the display of post titles on CruiseCritic's version of vBulletin. Neither of them allow you to input thread titles either.

I've been "burned" a couple of times when I didn't understand what someone meant because part of their post was in the post title field. That's why I try not to put important information in the post title when using the web version of CruiseCritic.

Thanks POA1 - it was the Post title I was asking about. So, it sounds like I am not alone and nothing that can be done about it. Yes, I have been burned too when I can't see the title.

Thanks so much for taking the time and your confirmation. :). Much appreciated :)

I have a Moto X android and the cruise critic app on there, whenever I am reading a thread I also have the "end post" issue. Issue persists when I forward to next page sometimes. Being an IT major, I feel this is more of a minor bug...

Thanks POA1 - it was the Post title I was asking about. So, it sounds like I am not alone and nothing that can be done about it. Yes, I have been burned too when I can't see the title.

Thanks so much for taking the time and your confirmation. :). Much appreciated :)

There is at least one regular poster who always puts his first sentence (or part of) in the post title section, so when you are reading on your phone the post often makes no sense.

Once I realized which title you were talking about, I knew exactly what the issue was. It's only an issue when a poster thinks that "Subject" means "start your post here, and when you run out of room, move on down to the message body section." ;) Fortunately, that's a relatively isolated situation.

You can always just use the Chrome browser to read CC. It actually works just fine on my phone if I view the screen in landscape mode and zoom in to the actual postings. I save the bookmark to the screen so I don't have to search for this forum every time.

I never bothered to install a dedicated Android app for reading this forum.

igraf

I have a Moto X android and the cruise critic app on there, whenever I am reading a thread I also have the "end post" issue. Issue persists when I forward to next page sometimes. Being an IT major, I feel this is more of a minor bug...