On Silhouette now observations

kasowell2

Breakfast....buffet.... Usual good lots of choices if you can't find something then you probably are too picky and the same goes for the lunch buffet. The only disappointment I have is they no longer have the cooked to order wok during lunch but they did have it during dinner time.

Blu for dinner was good as the short ribs were delicious. I do have a complaint about Bou this time. It's been very hot in there every night. Finally said something tonight but I think it's a problem with the air. Hope,they get it fixed before summer.

Premium drink package update. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum about having to,drink so much to break even. Today (without listing each drink) I had over $125 in drinks and at no time did I get drunk or even buzzed. All total that's about 15 to 16 drinks including water, soft drinks, beer, and mixed drinks.that sounds like a lot but it's really not when you consider 3-4 waters and 3-4 soft drinks along with a cappuccino with breakfast and maybe a beer or two with lunch and a glass of wine with dinner. Bottom line is the premium package is a good deal

Tomorrow,is St. Kitts so talk to you later

Looking forward to reading more about your impressions of Silhouette. We sailed her last year on a TA, and loved the ship.

Sorry others have attempted to hijack your thread. :rolleyes:

2CatsInFlorida, you seem very upset with your stateroom. The BEST source for those who are looking for information on Celebrity S-Class cabins (that is to say, Silhouette, Equinox, Reflection, Eclipse and Solstice) is the thread titled S-Class Cabin Information Compilation - PLEASE - DO NOT POST CABIN QUESTIONS HERE!!! It is Stickied at the top of the Celebrity Forum page. I always check there when trying to choose a cabin. I search by typing a stateroom number in the search box and to see what comes up.

Would you please consider reviewing your current cabin on that thread using the format suggested? You can add photos such as this in your review. It will help others make their own decision. I really wish you'd discovered that thread prior to sailing, because I think your obstructed view is coloring your enjoyment of your cruise. 2D and 2C cabins all have obstruction issues, but there are cabins in these lowest priced balcony categories that are less obstructed. Many find these categories a good value, but they are the lowest priced cabins for a reason.

I do agree that the location of the tenders and life boats cause issues with the S-Class ships. If you do consider sailing with Celebrity again, these threads by cruisetrail contain many many photos of ship interiors and exteriors and will be an excellent resource:

Part 1

Part 2

The best cabin choosing resources on CC and generously put together by CC members for the benefit of all. Cruisetrail's is an Epic piece of work and combined with the superb sticky everyone can make an informed decision.

Thanks thebutlerdidit!

Isn't it always the butler who should be suspect #1?

Norris

The best cabin choosing resources on CC and generously put together by CC members for the benefit of all. Cruisetrail's is an Epic piece of work and combined with the superb sticky everyone can make an informed decision.

Thanks thebutlerdidit!

Isn't it always the butler who should be suspect #1?

Norris

I agree, Norris. I have those resources bookmarked for reference and seem to use them all the time. And you're welcome!

kasowell2, I'm following your review as we'll board the Silhouette for the second time in December.

In an earlier post I stated that I overheard someone being told the ultimate dining did not include The Porch. Today I went and asked in the venue and the answer I got was you could dine there once. I have a feeling if I go back tomorrow and ask I'd get a different answer.

the Silhouette has been our favourite ship to date. We've been on her twice. Once in the Mediterranean and another time in the southern Caribbean. Here are a few of my observations:

1. Celebrity eliminated the piano bar in Michael's Club a while back. It first became a craft beer bar but now is a lounge for suites. This is a big negative for us as the piano bar has always been a favourite.

2. The food in the MDR can be hit and miss. In the Mediterranean it was amongst the best of the large cruise ships. In the Caribbean it was amongst the worst. Poor selection and variety from night to night... boring and bland.

3. The dance pack and singers were the best of any ship. Great productions shows with a very talented cast. I just wish they did not do so much in the atrium. This is a small venue with poor viewing angles and limited occupancy.

4. Richard Spacey as our CD. We first experienced him on Freedom of the Seas. This guy has the most energy of any CD. He really puts on a show... a born entertainer.

We are on Silhouette now also, deck 6, and it has the worst ship design we have experienced. The life boats on deck five block the view on most deck 6 veranda staterooms with large lifting arms right in your view. The lifeboats are mounted directly on deck 5 blocking the view of the water completely from deck 5 and making the walkway narrow. The jogging/walking track on deck 12 is small and crowded with lounge chairs.

The glasses in our cabin were sticky, and another couple saw stains in their soap dish which looked like nicotine.

No hot dogs for lunch In the Ocean View Cafe.

Other ship feature are spread out in a hodgepodge fashion.

Carpet and and general appearance are dated and old looking. Hate the blue lights by the elevator.

Room was not made up by 10:30 when we returned from breakfast. That never happened on RCI. Back to RCI FOS for us

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did you know that Celebrity is owned by RCI?

The way you complain about everything, are you sure that cruising is for you?

Your complaints sound very petty.

The blue lights by the elevators? Don't look.

Have you been on FOS since they added all of the extra rooms? We just got off FOS and it was crazy busy.

On FOS sometimes our room wasn't made up until after noon. It happens, we didn't care.

A cruise is what you make of it. I've never had a cruise I didn't like. We've had bad luck with ports, loud music at all hours, cancelled flights, etc., and still came home bragging about our trip.

A cruise is what you make of it. I've never had a cruise I didn't like. We've had bad luck with ports, loud music at all hours, cancelled flights, etc., and still came home bragging about our trip.

So you get "Royally" screwed and brag about it to your friends. Judge Judy wrote a book you should read called " Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining"

The way you complain about everything, are you sure that cruising is for you?

Your complaints sound very petty.

The blue lights by the elevators? Don't look.

Have you been on FOS since they added all of the extra rooms? We just got off FOS and it was crazy busy.

On FOS sometimes our room wasn't made up until after noon. It happens, we didn't care.

Aloha43, I agree with what you wrote. Cruising is not for everyone. But I do have to say I am enjoying the rather humorous review by 2Cats...they spend a lot of time and energy on what is wrong and most of that is petty. There doesn't seem to be much time left for the positives of each day. If you don't do the research you really shouldn't complain. ~~Judy

the Silhouette has been our favourite ship to date. We've been on her twice. Once in the Mediterranean and another time in the southern Caribbean.

3. The dance pack and singers were the best of any ship. Great productions shows with a very talented cast. I just wish they did not do so much in the atrium. This is a small venue with poor viewing angles and limited occupancy.

Really? Last night in the Silhouette Theater their great dancers and singers, all eight of them, were dressed all in white in what looked like white diapers and t shirts prancing around the stage. The music was LOUD the lead singer had a screechy voice. There was no set just all black curtain. Same tonight with their show called "Pearl". Where's the colorful sets?

Really? Last night in the Silhouette Theater their great dancers and singers, all eight of them, were dressed all in white in what looked like white diapers and t shirts prancing around the stage. The music was LOUD the lead singer had a screechy voice. There was no set just all black curtain. Same tonight with their show called "Pearl". Where's the colorful sets?

Obviously shows change over time. The show you describe was nothing like the ones that we saw. Here are a couple of shots from one of the shows we watched.

P1040228.jpg.ce71e44fae7891b4f0cd55c4f6018edc.jpg

P1040230.jpg.fb1c0e1e9fc3c1292c7abb28d86f1ad5.jpg

If 2Cats hates this lifeboat arrangement, I hope they never go on an Oasis class ship.

FWIW, the Quantum Class is often described as "Solstice Class on Steroids"

I prefer the high mounted lifeboats, but they're clearly not the wave of the future.

If 2Cats hates this lifeboat arrangement, I hope they never go on an Oasis class ship.

FWIW, the Quantum Class is often described as "Solstice Class on Steroids"

I prefer the high mounted lifeboats, but they're clearly not the wave of the future.

Thanks for the heads-up on Oasis. We have a reservation on Oasis next month April 23, 2016. Seven day western Caribbean deck 8 balcony ocean view. Just want to see what this mega ship is like.

I didn't intend to hijack the OP's post. But, I don't know why some people get their panties in a knot over valid criticism of their darling Silhouette. I had to respond.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

"Whatever you are looking for you will see". If you are looking for the bad & ugly things in life that's what you will see. If you are looking for the good that's what you will see.

Investors who saw Bernie Madoff through rose colored glass went broke.

Looking forward to reading more about your impressions of Silhouette. We sailed her last year on a TA, and loved the ship.

Sorry others have attempted to hijack your thread. :rolleyes:

Thank you! Agreed.

We are Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on NCL. Having been on 4 of the 5 S class ships we love the layout and amenities of these unlike the OP. We have "anti-ed up" and paid for Aqua every time on Celebrity since we love Blu (when cost premium is within reason of course). A poster above is absolutely correct that the staff in Blu will bend over backwards to please you. We also do not go to many shows on ships so no opinion from us on these but our cruising buddies seem to like RCL shows better than Celebrity shows.

The only popular priced alternative for us are the Getaway class NCL ships since the Waterfront bars and restaurants approach the S class in their appeal at least for us. I think the OP is better sticking with RCL since they prefer their product offering. We are all different which is a good thing or everyone would gravitate in the same direction...would be hugely crowded ships if that were the case.

Will it be possible if you have a chance to post pictures of the World Class Bar Menu? I am assuming it fits the Premium Package. Thanks!

I will take picture tomorrow and post after getting home. The wifi is good but. It for that. Spent a lot of time there tonight and just let me say the Mystic Ketel One drink is too good. In fact it's sneaky good. Really shouldn't have gotten my money back on the premium package in one sitting but man those things are good

We are Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on NCL. Having been on 4 of the 5 S class ships we love the layout and amenities of these unlike the OP. We have "anti-ed up" and paid for Aqua every time on Celebrity since we love Blu (when cost premium is within reason of course).

I'm the OP and I love the layout of this ship.

I will take picture tomorrow and post after getting home. The wifi is good but. It for that. Spent a lot of time there tonight and just let me say the Mystic Ketel One drink is too good. In fact it's sneaky good. Really shouldn't have gotten my money back on the premium package in one sitting but man those things are good

Thanks! I Really appreciated it!

Will it be possible if you have a chance to post pictures of the World Class Bar Menu? I am assuming it fits the Premium Package. Thanks!

Not to hijack this thread, but the World Class bar menu is about 15 pages long with one drink and its ingredients per page. Here's some pix I just took at the bar. The woman I spoke to said the Molecular bar was better.e0a0eb5960ef4a90ab523ba665af9d87.jpga175a53c39b72d5b811bba9c63aba5cf.jpg747b02c65b852a2d4af92d9fc2aa4f7b.jpg53e7814f1554b0e4f9680b3f25c38f39.jpg

We also love the layout of the S class ships. We did one princess cruise and found hallways that lead to dead ends and one HAL which had pass ways only on one side of the ship which

lead to much over crowding. On our recent Equinox cruise, the hotel director was at our connections party and to,d us to p,ease let them know if anything is wrong and not wait until home to post complaints on the boards. They do read Cruise Critic. We thought this was well said. Fortunately there are many cruise lines to,meet everyone's tastes.