Inside Passage - casual is key, need advice please!

jmpiterniak

My husband and I are planning an inside passage cruise for June or July 2017. I am fairly set on Alaskan Dream Cruises based on the fact that it hits my two "must see" towns - Sitka and Ketchikan.

For the Juneau stop, we would have our travel agent book the helicopter to the glacier/dog mushing tour separately.

I like the idea of a smaller ship and a very casual vibe, as well as keeping active...we want to hike and kayak, and experience Alaska! With that in mind, I just want to make sure that I'm not unfairly eliminating another line that may have a better price point / more attractive excursion.

The next larger ship up is Regent Seven Seas, about 600 passengers, great included excursions, still small. However, it doesn't suit for the casual vibe. Their literature says that they don't want to see you in jeans and T-shirts in any public area of the ship after 6 pm. My husband would go nuts...and the last thing I want to do is dress up on vacation when I have to do that for work!!! Plus, I thought it made Regent sound snobby, so they're out.

Any other options/ideas/suggestions? I looked at Un-Cruise Adventures but they don't hit those two towns.

With the money we will need to spend (Alaskan Dream is expensive), I want to make sure that it will be worth it and we will be satisfied with our trip. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

JoAnne

Edited by jmpiterniak

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?portofcall=26

There are lots of cruises that include Sitka and Ketchikan. Alaska is about the ports not the ship so don't exclude the larger ships. We find that it is up to us how we use a ship so we choose a mini-suite on Princess, traditional dining for two, and participate in on-board activities like naturalist talks and the occasional show. In other words we pick and choose according to our likes. We often wear jeans in the dining room. There are several restaurant options onboard.

There are many active excursions in most ports -- offered by the ship and independent vendors.

Thank you for your great advice; and that is exactly what we decided to do! We're on Holland America...we're seeing much more including Denali, have a verandah suite, and by the way, it cost less than the other line, which would have been too small/limited for us. Very excited!

Thank you for your great advice; and that is exactly what we decided to do! We're on Holland America...we're seeing much more including Denali, have a verandah suite, and by the way, it cost less than the other line, which would have been too small/limited for us. Very excited!

Have a wonderful time :)