~ Posting Whilst Cruising ~

Chucksta63

How many of you (us) go to the internet cafe onboard, and post up here, whilst at sea? Would you if we asked?

Do some go in port to a cafe there and use computers there whilst having a drink? Heard of a few places to do this.

Do you not even bother until you get back?

Do you use the computer for anything whilst on a cruise?

Chris should I make this a poll?...hehehe

I take my laptop, because I have to check in on the customers... so I go early in the morning, with a mimmie and get everything done (thankfully I won't have to go to the cafe on the Valor :D)... I check in and post on our group board when I can... or we generally have a "live from" thread...

Usually only takes me about 20-30 minutes, and I wouldn't do it in port.

I did it one year but found it way to expensive to think of doing it again. I don't have any important stuff to do online that can't wait till I get back so I won't be visiting the internet cafe.

I don't go anywhere near a computer while we are cruising! We take my husband's laptop on our other vacations, but never have on a cruise. Before our last cruise we bought several memory cards for our camera, so I wouldn't need to upload any pictures until we got home. Otherwise, we'd consider taking the laptop for that reason only.

I have an online business and although I put up "Hi, I'm on vacation" notices, it never fails that I get sales every day I'm gone. I like to just acknowledge my buyers so they don't freak out about a week's delay in delivery. I'll write off the cost of the Internet time package come tax time.

Also, it's nice to be able to say "Look, sales today just paid our S&S tab..." :D

Actually, I had only signed on at the insistance of DW to send birthday greeting to her father for his birthday. To my surprise, my IM window opened up, and they were online. So while I was waiting for responses, I was "navigating".

Then I got sucked in and visited two more times later that week, for the "specials".

I was always one of those "why would you sit at a pee see on a cruise " people.:eek:

Would you if we asked?
Hell no. :mad:
Do some go in port to a cafe there and use computers there whilst having a drink?
Hell no. :mad:
Do you not even bother until you get back?
Now you've got the picture. :p
Do you use the computer for anything whilst on a cruise?
It's a paperweight, at home. :rolleyes: I'm on vacation. I don't check email. I don't check voicemail. I don't call anybody. And my out-of-office message indicates this. There's nothing on the planet that is sooooo important that it cannot wait until I get back.

Internet cafes aboard ship are yet another example of totally wasted space, just like rockwalls and skating rinks. It *is* a revenue source for the cruiseline however, preying on those who just cannot disconnect themselves.

I took my laptop with me on the Valor and used the ship-wide wireless interenet service that they offer. My laptop usually goes on every trip I take, whether it's just for a weekend away or an actual week of vacation. I've never used it for any kind of business purpose - use it to watch movies in the car, on the plane, upload pictures to it and I like to keep up with my personal e-mail (I wouldn't even dream of checking my work e-mail while I'm on vacation. There's a REASON I get away from that place).

I think I may have posted once at CC while on a cruise, regarding an itinerary change that had been implemented for the two eastern itinerary sailings prior to mine, but I don't recall posting anymore. I use the internet to keep up with the news, personal e-mail and occasionally will check my buddy list to see if anyone I normally talk to is on so I can rub it in their face that I'm in the tropics and they're freezing their butts off back in Chicago or St. Louis. :D I guess I'm just one of those people who always likes to be in touch. I don't spend excessive amounts of time on the internet while cruising...once my 100 minutes is up, it's up.

We are actually thinking about bringing our laptop on our next cruise to keep in touch with the kids, but I have to research this since I have never done this. would it be cheaper just to call them? (This is the only time we have even thought of doing this, first time without kids on the cruise.)

I check in with my kids.. I don't know why. They are all adults but I do still have 2 at home. I'm sure if there was some catstophe they would not ruin my cruise by telling me. But if the car needed to fixed or they needed to know something or to let me know about something wonderful thing one of my grandchildren did, it is a cheaper way to share.

I also have some health problems and my son the nurse is always worrying. This way I put his mind to ease. "we are having a ball, wish you were here".

stuff.

Check my work email for the same reason. I am a manager and if any of my employees need something from their files I know where it is.

Since I will be on my next cruise with CCers, I'll have my CC fix and will wait to check in here.

Use up valuable shoe storage space in my luggage for a laptop :eek:???

Seriously, I am with Laura. I work long hours, many of which are on the computer, so a vacation for me is being as disconnected as possible and enjoying my family and forming new friendships with actual people. I do carry my Blackberry though.

I know I'll be online.. to check in with my friends.. and maybe post on here.. but usually check in with friends a little every day.. when I go on vacatio other places usually try to find an internet cafe.. but think the sensation is supposed to have a nice area for email and such.

Archived