Izmir, Turkey

We are not museum or buildings fans.

Have read that Konak Square and the Clock Tower are a good place to visit and also Kemeralti Market for shopping.

Izmir is one of our ports on our cruise in May. Is the Square and Kemeralti Market within walking distance from the port? If not, how would one get there?

Thanks for any help or info?

I doubt you will be stopping in Izmir. The U.S. State Dept is ordering evacuation of families from that area.
The order is from the Pentagon (for military personnel and their families stationed at Izmir), and from the State Department for diplomatic staff. For the moment there is no evacuation order for American civilians from that area, or any other area in Turkey for that matter. There is a travel warning in effect from the State Department for southeastern Turkey, and there have been multiple security messages for American travelers in Turkey in the last few months. Obviously there are legitimate security concerns throughout the country, and these have recently become much more worrying for tourists in particular. No specific threat of violence has been identified for Izmir, though, and some cruise ships are still scheduled to call there (Costa, MSC, Carnival). Of course this can change at any time.

For the OP, the clock tower and the market are about 3-4 kilometers from where the ships dock. It's a nice walk along the waterfront, but it will probably take at least 30-45 minutes. You can also take the ferry from near the ship, two stops to Konak, where the clock tower is. Or a taxi.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

My apologies for not stating that this for the families of personnel.

I still stand by my statement that it's highly

probable that the port will be scrapped.

I hope I'm wrong. Turkey is a beautiful

country.

Edited by celebrity

For the OP, the clock tower and the market are about 3-4 kilometers from where the ships dock. It's a nice walk along the waterfront, but it will probably take at least 30-45 minutes. You can also take the ferry from near the ship, two stops to Konak, where the clock tower is. Or a taxi.

Thank you hawkeyetlse for answering my question.

I do realize that the port can be cancelled at any time but since we have not been advised officially, we still need to tentatively plan for the ports on our itinerary. Never hurts to be prepared.

Walking along the waterfront sounds ideal as we can sightsee as we go along.