Day at Hever Castle and Seven Sisters

I am trying to figure out the specifics of our day trip from London and would love some help.

Originally we were going to do the classic Dover Castle/Canterbury jaunt, but after looking more at the options I think I have changed my mind.

We have a private driver who will pick us up at Tilbury port around 9:30.

We are planning to head to two main sites: Hever Castle ( there will be a day of Medieval Jousting and such) and either the Seven Sisters or Beachy Head ( would love your help choosing).

Should we go to the coast first? We plan on hiking a bit and seeing the beautiful classic cliff view. Or to the castle first?

We will be there on July 23, a Saturday... I am sure it will be a busy day.

Beyond these two stops , any suggestions for another scheduled stop? Cute village or such?

I see Royal Tundbridge Wells is very close to Hever. My daughter stayed at the Bedgebury school ( Bell International) for a month and I know the area is pretty.

We will have kids ( teens) with us.

Thanks for any advice.

Hever Castle doesn't normally open until noon (the gardens open at 10.30), so you might be better to go to the Sussex coast first. But perhaps e-mail to ask about opening times on your date.

The coast is over an hour beyond Hever Castle.

But Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters are only a couple of miles apart, so you will see both. :)

Go to Beachy Head first, then west along the coast road for a mile to a parking lot near Belle Tout lighthouse - from there you can see the Seven Sisters, and look back at Beachy Head.

Then another mile to the parking lot at the Birling Gap, where a fold in the land means you can take a staircase down to the pebbled beach.

Check those places out on googleimages.

Royal Tunbridge Wells has an attractive little town centre, perhaps have a bite to eat at one of the tearooms or pubs - the food will be better than the very limited fast-food at Beachy Head. But you may not have much time to stop at Royal Tunbridge Wells

Hever Castle has an interesting little water maze - if you don't mind getting a little bit wet if you go wrong ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hever Castle doesn't normally open until noon (the gardens open at 10.30), so you might be better to go to the Sussex coast first. But perhaps e-mail to ask about opening times on your date.

The coast is over an hour beyond Hever Castle.

But Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters are only a couple of miles apart, so you will see both. :)

Go to Beachy Head first, then west along the coast road for a mile to a parking lot near Belle Tout lighthouse - from there you can see the Seven Sisters, and look back at Beachy Head.

Then another mile to the parking lot at the Birling Gap, where a fold in the land means you can take a staircase down to the pebbled beach.

Check those places out on googleimages.

Royal Tunbridge Wells has an attractive little town centre, perhaps have a bite to eat at one of the tearooms or pubs - the food will be better than the very limited fast-food at Beachy Head. But you may not have much time to stop at Royal Tunbridge Wells

Hever Castle has an interesting little water maze - if you don't mind getting a little bit wet if you go wrong ;)

JB -

I was really hoping you would answer my post! Thank you so much!

Happy to hear we will be able to do Beachy Head and Seven Sisters. I have it in my head that I must see some beautiful chalk cliffs so am thrilled to be able to visit .

Love the Water Maze video... I am sure it will be a big hit with the kids. The grounds at Hever Castle look really lovely.

We will plan to stop at a pub or tearoom then. Do you think Tunbridge Wells would be the best option or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Yes, the problem is time.

Lots of country houses & such in the area but the main ones, like Chartwell House (Churchill's home), Penshurst Place & Chiddingstone Castle, are each well worth half a day, they can't be properly seen from the road & they're not worth an admission charge for a brief stop.

Perhaps the historic Pantiles shopping area of Royal Tunbridge Wells for a half-hour & that snack.

And mebbe at the end of the day on your way back to Tilbury, stop off for a quick look at Tonbridge Castle - castle closes at 5pm, but the grounds are open til dusk & there's no entrance fee.

Yes, the problem is time.

Lots of country houses & such in the area but the main ones, like Chartwell House (Churchill's home), Penshurst Place & Chiddingstone Castle, are each well worth half a day, they can't be properly seen from the road & they're not worth an admission charge for a brief stop.

Perhaps the historic Pantiles shopping area of Royal Tunbridge Wells for a half-hour & that snack.

And mebbe at the end of the day on your way back to Tilbury, stop off for a quick look at Tonbridge Castle - castle closes at 5pm, but the grounds are open til dusk & there's no entrance fee.

At the end of the day, our driver will take us to London. He will pick us up from the port in Tilbury in the morning and take us to our hotel in South Kensington at the end of the day....not sure if that modified suggestions and time frame in any way?

At the end of the day, our driver will take us to London. He will pick us up from the port in Tilbury in the morning and take us to our hotel in South Kensington at the end of the day....not sure if that modified suggestions and time frame in any way?

Tonbridge Castle is en-route between Tilbury and Hever Castle or the Sussex coast, but not between Hever Castle and your South Kensington hotel. Going to Tonbridge after Hever Castle would add about 20 miles / 30 minutes to the drive to your hotel. Really not worth it just to see the outside.

Where to visit and in what order depends on what time you aim to arrive at your hotel.

Either ...................................................

Since Tonbridge is on the way from Tilbury to Hever, you can head for Tonbridge first (45 minute drive) & then on to Hever (another 20 minutes) to arrive at Hever between the time that the gardens open (10.30) & the time that the Castle opens (12 noon).

Tonbridge Castle opens at 9am and you can easily tour it in under an hour - or if your journey is delayed miss it out & go straight to Hever.

From noon, when Hever Castle opens, you'll want to spend 2 to 3 hours there. Perhaps longer for the jousting.

So aim to leave Hever about 3pm.

Hever to the Sussex coast takes about 1 hour 15 mins.

You'll want to spend a total of about an hour there.

From the coast to your hotel is about 2 hrs 15 mins.

So you'd be at your hotel about 7.30pm.

But sunset isn't until 9pm, so you can leave Hever later & make the day longer depending on your energy levels & the depth of your pocket to pay the driver.

Or .................................................................

Drive direct from Tilbury to the Sussex coast at Beachy Head / Seven Sisters (about a 1hr 45 minute drive).

Spend an hour there.

Then drive to Hever (about 1 hr 15 minutes) - without stopping you'd arrive about 1.30pm, or if you stopped at a pub on the way it'd be about 2.15pm, or via a pub stop in the Pantiles at Royal Tunbridge Wells it'd be about 2.30pm.

If you left Hever at 6pm (when it closes) you'd be at your hotel about 7.15 pm.

Your day, your choices.

But if it were me I'd keep it simple - direct from Tilbury dock to the Sussex coast, about an hour there, on the way to Hever stop somewhere for a quick bite, Hever Castle about 2pm, leave Hever Castle about 1 hr 15 minutes before you want to be at the hotel.

Edited by John Bull

Tonbridge Castle is en-route between Tilbury and Hever Castle or the Sussex coast, but not between Hever Castle and your South Kensington hotel. Going to Tonbridge after Hever Castle would add about 20 miles / 30 minutes to the drive to your hotel. Really not worth it just to see the outside.

Where to visit and in what order depends on what time you aim to arrive at your hotel.

Either ...................................................

Since Tonbridge is on the way from Tilbury to Hever, you can head for Tonbridge first (45 minute drive) & then on to Hever (another 20 minutes) to arrive at Hever between the time that the gardens open (10.30) & the time that the Castle opens (12 noon).

Tonbridge Castle opens at 9am and you can easily tour it in under an hour - or if your journey is delayed miss it out & go straight to Hever.

From noon, when Hever Castle opens, you'll want to spend 2 to 3 hours there. Perhaps longer for the jousting.

So aim to leave Hever about 3pm.

Hever to the Sussex coast takes about 1 hour 15 mins.

You'll want to spend a total of about an hour there.

From the coast to your hotel is about 2 hrs 15 mins.

So you'd be at your hotel about 7.30pm.

But sunset isn't until 9pm, so you can leave Hever later & make the day longer depending on your energy levels & the depth of your pocket to pay the driver.

Or .................................................................

Drive direct from Tilbury to the Sussex coast at Beachy Head / Seven Sisters (about a 1hr 45 minute drive).

Spend an hour there.

Then drive to Hever (about 1 hr 15 minutes) - without stopping you'd arrive about 1.30pm, or if you stopped at a pub on the way it'd be about 2.15pm, or via a pub stop in the Pantiles at Royal Tunbridge Wells it'd be about 2.30pm.

If you left Hever at 6pm (when it closes) you'd be at your hotel about 7.15 pm.

Your day, your choices.

But if it were me I'd keep it simple - direct from Tilbury dock to the Sussex coast, about an hour there, on the way to Hever stop somewhere for a quick bite, Hever Castle about 2pm, leave Hever Castle about 1 hr 15 minutes before you want to be at the hotel.

Excellent options....

I will probably follow your advice and keep it simple. We will be arriving from an intense 14 day cruise , so probably keeping the day low key and relaxing is best.

Thanks for the details and help. Appreciate it immensely!