Skagway tours and other things to do?

jplee3

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some ideas of what my family might want to do around Skagway. For sure, I know I want to go fishing but the rest of them perhaps not so much. I have a feeling my parents will want to stay on the ship but my brothers/sils may want to get out and go on a train ride or maybe up to one of the lakes.

We have from about 7am to 8:30pm in Skagway on a Monday (this is mid-July on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas)

As far as options I've started checking into myself, here are a few ideas:

- Lower Dewey Lake Hike (and Upper Dewey Lake too if I'm/we're feeling more adventurous)

- Yakutania point hike/walk

- Emerald Lake tour with Dyea Dave (along with dropping me off at one or more locations for DIY fishing - he highly recommended going for Arctic Grayling)

- Train tour with Dyea Dave (he would drop us off at the train, and pick up at where the last stop is and drive us back)

- Chilkoot lake boat/adventure/fishing tour with Chilkoot Lake Tours (http://www.chilkootlake.com/ - this would require ferrying over to Haines and then being transported up to the lake... this will probably require 2-3 hours of transportation out of the day).

My dad is really interested in history and would likely peruse the town and any given museums around there. My mom likes to shop for trinkets so she'll probably stick around the town area. In fact, I bet what they'll offer is to watch our baby (he'll be around 11mos by then) while we go off and do our own thing. My nephews are a little older so if I had to guess they'd probably want to do the train ride or dog-sledding perhaps. I might try to convince any one of them to do some fishing though (I know Dyea Dave mentioned he especially enjoys stopping off for fishing when he has kids on his tours and letting them go at it if there's any time during his tours... that sounds like an option if any of my nephews might be interested).

Any other ideas on things to do here?

your father (and others) would be interested in the Klondike Goldrush NP to learn about the history of the town and the goldrush. There are several tours each day, but are limited in size, so plan accordingly.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Then either walk (maybe 1 1/2 miles) or take the city bus out to the Goldrush Cemetary where some of the interesting characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetary a trail leads to the falls.

Check the town web site for maps, hikes ,bus info, and other activities

http://www.skagway.com

You can read about other travelers experiences in Skagway by reading trip reports and photojournals posted in STICKYs above.