Leaving on MISSISSIPPI river

does not make much difference. At first there are houses and such that give way to oil fields pretty much on both sides. Also lots of other boat traffic which is sort of neat. The first 10 or 15 minuets are the best I think. That is watching New Orleans go by on the port side.

We are sailing on Triumph out of New Orleans on May 14th. I'm really excited for this new port (for us). I don't know where but somewhere on cruise critic there is a post by someone who does an entire walk through of the cruise down the Mississippi out to the gulf. He details what you will be seeing on either side of the ship and even has at about what time you should be where along the journey.

If interested, You can probably find it by searching Port of NO . I found it very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing on Triumph out of New Orleans on May 14th. I'm really excited for this new port (for us). I don't know where but somewhere on cruise critic there is a post by someone who does an entire walk through of the cruise down the Mississippi out to the gulf. He details what you will be seeing on either side of the ship and even has at about what time you should be where along the journey.

If interested, You can probably find it by searching Port of NO . I found it very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49531563

Morning all, only 8 days out and it looks like a fun trip. The post that indychristine referenced regarding what you see proceeding down the river is posted on the April 8th roll call section. It's pretty cool.

We see the oil rigs quite late, after we have gone to bed. They are lit up well and the first time we could see the back of the ship lit up. However on the return trip, you will see deep water rigs in the afternoon and more as the evening progresses.

We're leaving on triumph soon and are wondering-- is it better to have a room on the port or starboard side to have the best views going down the Mississippi River?

A balcony cabin on the PORT side would be best as ships pass port-to-port while on the Mississippi. Plus the pilot boat meets/departs the ship on the port side (at least on the four NOLA cruises I've had) if you're interested in seeing that around 11:30...

You gave no indication of dates, but if another CCL ship leaves or arrives the day before/after you, you would have the opportunity to meet and pass the other ship. e.g: we had a Sat-to-Sat cruise out of NOLA while another ship (Dream?) had a Sun-to-Sun cruise. On the way down the river on Saturday night we met the Dream coming in for their Sunday morning arrival (we actually did this twice as were were on a B2B).

Seeing a 100,000 ton ship moving towards you with a closing rate of 20 knots and passing within 200' feet is pretty neat. Generally passengers on both ships are yelling and waving. Too bad it only lasts 40 seconds then it's over.

Edited by LostPuppy

We will have a balcony but plan to go up on deck so we can go back and forth as there is plenty to see on both sides of the river

I will have to drag myself out the room to go on deck to see too.

A balcony cabin on the PORT side would be best as ships pass port-to-port while on the Mississippi. Plus the pilot boat meets/departs the ship on the port side (at least on the four NOLA cruises I've had) if you're interested in seeing that around 11:30...

You gave no indication of dates' date=' but if another CCL ship leaves or arrives the day before/after you, you would have the opportunity to meet and pass the other ship. e.g: we had a Sat-to-Sat cruise out of NOLA while another ship (Dream?) had a Sun-to-Sun cruise. On the way down the river on Saturday night we met the Dream coming in for their Sunday morning arrival (we actually did this twice as were were on a B2B).

Seeing a 100,000 ton ship moving towards you with a closing rate of 20 knots and passing within 200' feet is pretty neat. Generally passengers on both ships are yelling and waving. Too bad it only lasts 40 seconds then it's over.[/color']

This is awesome. I think our boat will pass at night as well. I bet its a sigh to see. I might have to camp out on deck as this is my first (and probably last) cruise out of NO...

You gave no indication of dates, but if another CCL ship leaves or arrives the day before/after you, you would have the opportunity to meet and pass the other ship. e.g: we had a Sat-to-Sat cruise out of NOLA while another ship (Dream?) had a Sun-to-Sun cruise. On the way down the river on Saturday night we met the Dream coming in for their Sunday morning arrival (we actually did this twice as were were on a B2B).

Seeing a 100,000 ton ship moving towards you with a closing rate of 20 knots and passing within 200' feet is pretty neat. Generally passengers on both ships are yelling and waving. Too bad it only lasts 40 seconds then it's over.

This happened on our Dream cruise on Jan 31 of this year. Just before midnight, I was woken by what sounded like people yelling and laughing. I walked out on my port side balcony, and there was the Elation, about 60-70 yards away, heading upriver. Lots of people on both ships waving and yelling at each other. Really cool. I wasn't fast enough to get a picture, but Indytravelr83 took an excellent picture of the Elation coming out of the fog. Go to post #25....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313584&page=2

Wow! Thanks for the help! We will be in the Apr 4 sailing on the triumph. Doesn't appear that the dream or elation be on the river same time as us.

Not to be a downer...but ....you will have muster drill at 4:00, then pull away (you do want to be at the FRONT of the ship to watch it make the 360 degree turn)...best place to watch is from the same place, or on an upper deck.

But, it will dark by 6:30, so not much else to see.

You are on a River Cruise until the ship reaches the mouth of the Mississippi River, around midnight.

Probably the most interesting thing to see, is when the ship reaches the mouth (coming and going) is to see how the small land on the south of the ship gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. But dont expect to see much.

From there on you can see the lights of the oil derrecks.

Not to be a downer...but ....you will have muster drill at 4:00, then pull away (you do want to be at the FRONT of the ship to watch it make the 360 degree turn)...best place to watch is from the same place, or on an upper deck.

But, it will dark by 6:30, so not much else to see.

You are on a River Cruise until the ship reaches the mouth of the Mississippi River, around midnight.

Probably the most interesting thing to see, is when the ship reaches the mouth (coming and going) is to see how the small land on the south of the ship gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. But dont expect to see much.

From there on you can see the lights of the oil derrecks.

It won't be getting dark that early. We're in daylight savings time and moving toward longer days.