Mini suite upsell worth it?

lisa7977

So I called upsell today for our breakaway cruise leaving this Saturday. I have been trying to upgrade from an inside to a balcony room for a month now. Today they offered me a mini suite for $400. Then I looked at all the mini suite reviews and they say that a mini suite has a tiny balcony and the only real benefit is a better bathroom. We really don't mind an inside cabin since you are not really in the room too much but I kind of wanted a balcony to sit on. $400 is a lot for us and I'm just wondering if it's really worth it? Thoughts? TIA

Keep calling the upsell line and asking for a better deal. You may get different people and a better offer. As to the balcony for a mini - it is standard size in most cases. There are 2 chairs and a low table you can use as a footstool on the balcony. The bathroom is really a lot better with a shower big enough for 2 and a double sink and more space overall. I think considering how busy the pool deck is, I would get anything with a balcony just to have my own space.

I was in a mini suite a few months ago and enjoyed it.

This time I booked a guarantee inside, but because of the location, and only because of the location I want to upgrade.

If $400 is a lot of money to you I'd stay inside if you're happy with your location. I would.

So I called upsell today for our breakaway cruise leaving this Saturday. I have been trying to upgrade from an inside to a balcony room for a month now. Today they offered me a mini suite for $400. Then I looked at all the mini suite reviews and they say that a mini suite has a tiny balcony and the only real benefit is a better bathroom. We really don't mind an inside cabin since you are not really in the room too much but I kind of wanted a balcony to sit on. $400 is a lot for us and I'm just wondering if it's really worth it? Thoughts? TIA

Please don't get ready to leave on SATURDAY as we are departing on 4/3 SUNDAY!!!

Looking at the fish site used by many of us to track historical pricing trends & changes, NCL only started discounting within the last week as it appeared there's still unsold inventory in balconies & minis and up (and, within each sub-tiers) - I would wait call back later today or tomorrow to see if they will lower or come up with a balcony for less money. You might consider doing a reasonable counter-offer on the spot - worst thing to happen, they say "no" but you tried & couldn't come up with a win-win. Have the deckplan ready & look at the specific mini-suite location while you try to seize a negotiated deal.

We are booked on the BA (again, 3 times) for late May on a special deal, and they immediately upsell us to upgrade for more natural lights & space - almost 10 weeks out - we declined. Previously stayed Inside & also paid OV GTY - with a free upgrade to Balcony (Fwd, real forward - deck 10) and just DW & I - we have a nice location and 7 nights Inside location, not a problem for us. Are you happy with your inside location & deck now ?

On a budget or not, you can do a lot for $400 - Clamshell rental for a day when/if the ship can tender @GSC is just $30 for the day, a nice treat to have sunshades, etc. You can do a specialty dining for a small fraction of that "extra" money spent/not spent; and, get a few NCL photos - or, set it aside for the next cruise/vacation.

The "mini" has more square footage, the interior space is slightly bigger - not just the oversized bathroom (but, how much time you are in there, right ... together, LOL - certainly not when spouse is doing #2) There is a little more space around the sofa area, barely noticeable but it is true - the bonus/gain is really, the convertible sofa itself, something both of you can sit on, lean back & relax & watch TV (not really, she used it as her daybed for gaming when we didn't feel like doing anything else ... didn't get off @ PC or Nassau)

It's just nice to pull the curtains back, slide open the balcony door & feel the breeze - the typical balcony is SMALL for sure. (If you haven't check - just checkout a # of videos on Youtube and there are pix here CC, check out the ship photos for samples)

Checkout the weather forecast next week, once the ship is south of VA/NC/SC - it will be warm and nice to sit outside in your own private space. If you plan to go ashore at PC, GSC and Nassau - then, perhaps - it's unnecessary at a certain price point or higher, only you can decide if it's worth it or not. Some will only sail in a balcony or oversized AFT balcony with room for a mini backyard BBQ setup ... really, :D - fine, it's not my money they are spending. You are taking a vacation to enjoy the cruise - be happy with whatever you do decide. ;)

Edited by mking8288

Haha, we are staying in a hotel in New York on Saturday so my vacation actually starts on Saturday. That would really stink if I went there a day early though. Lol. I actually called back and got an offer for a large balcony room for $300 which is what I really wanted! So I jumped on it!

Haha, we are staying in a hotel in New York on Saturday so my vacation actually starts on Saturday. That would really stink if I went there a day early though. Lol. I actually called back and got an offer for a large balcony room for $300 which is what I really wanted! So I jumped on it!

Good for you! See you Sunday.