Ant and Dec myths busted.

daiB

From someone on Britannia now.

So for all the ant and Dec haters and those who posted threads full of bile and absolute garbage about this Britannia cruise - here are the real facts from the cruise itself and gleaned from various crew members at the Baltic lunch today including the captain . Taking most of the previous comments / moans / whinges / untruths in turn :

The two riviera pools will be closed off for five days - nope , in fact they are not closed at all yet and may only be closed on show day .

The entire riviera pool area would be closed for three days - nope , only one side and not even half is closed . It's very much business as usual .

The arena deck would be closed entire cruise - nope it's fully open but one side of the deck below is closed for storage .

The sports court would be closed entire cruise - yes it is .

There will be loads of intrusions from TV cameras all round ship all cruise - err no there has been nothing at all .

Ant and Dec will be everywhere - they aren't even on until Friday in Barcelona although little ant and Dec have been on since Southampton .

The ship will be crawling with hundreds of competition winners who are horrid common people - err well if it is they aren't obvious . In fact there are 100 of them and as the ship is sailing full with 4000 passengers they aren't exactly obvious .

The ship will be crawling with technicians - there are 300 of them board but they aren't seen in the public rooms and tend to stay in the buffet area .

There will be noise from the construction of the set - err nope and in fact all the cabins below the set have been given to the technical crew for the show so it's they who suffer the noise if there is any .

The whole cruise will be ruined - if anything it's been enhanced as everyone is looking forward to Barcelona - all very exciting and certainly no trouble at all . In fact the storm on Sunday night / Monday caused more trouble by far !!!

So for those who cancelled this cruise - you've missed out big time !!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do P&O contact you and wheel you out every time they need a cheerleader?

One persons comments doesn't reflect the whole ship!

While I enjoyed the cruise and couldn't care less about Ant and Dec it was the same old usual P&O let downs that spoiled parts of the cruise for me.

I would wait to see the reviews before commenting further if I were you Dai B as the greatest criticism came from the stalwarts!

One big moan from regulars that had me in absolute stitches was the Crows Nest was supposed to be the only Ant and Dec free zone on the ship ... ironically "regulars" couldn't get in to the bar because it was full of ITV roadies" LOL! :D :D :D

While I enjoyed the cruise and couldn't care less about Ant and Dec it was the same old usual P&O let downs that spoiled parts of the cruise for me.

I would wait to see the reviews before commenting further if I were you Dai B as the greatest criticism came from the stalwarts!

One big moan from regulars that had me in absolute stitches was the Crows Nest was supposed to be the only Ant and Dec free zone on the ship ... ironically "regulars" couldn't get in to the bar because it was full of ITV roadies" LOL! :D :D :D

So your comments are just as irrelevant. .

The post came from a cruiser on the ship very early in the cruise. I made no comment about it.

I have been awaiting your review, I hope you tell us more, did your children get to meet Ant and Dec as they hoped? Did you "win" an on deck ticket?

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, :)

I have been awaiting your review, I hope you tell us more, did your children get to meet Ant and Dec as they hoped? Did you "win" an on deck ticket?

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, :)

Thank you :) I shall do a comprehensive review sometime this week, there were highlights and low points and to be fair to P&O they managed and dealt with most things well. We received golden tickets and followed the instructions very closely, not turning up too early or too late, unfortunately 99.9% of others didn't and so by following rules we ended up with poor views and "kettled" for two and a half hours :mad:

You started the thread! :confused:

And to quote Max Boyce ... "I was there"

I did I was just passing on some information. From someone who was there Never said I was there.

Edited by daiB

As an aside, P&O paid (or did not charge) passengers Spanish Tax (10%) on all purchases while in Barcelona for the 2 days, which was very generous of them :)

I wonder if they'll pay everyone elses tax that visits Barcelona on P&O ships this summer? Worth asking???

The vast majority of Med cruises whether they call in at Barcelona or not DO NOT incur the Spanish VAT. That is the reason why at least one non-EU port will be on the itinerary, ports like Gibraltar, Kotor, Dubrovnik serve that purpose.

The vast majority of Med cruises whether they call in at Barcelona or not DO NOT incur the Spanish VAT. That is the reason why at least one non-EU port will be on the itinerary, ports like Gibraltar, Kotor, Dubrovnik serve that purpose.

Funny, they charged it in Cadiz on the SAME cruise, perhaps I should ask them for a refund, can you give me your source so I may quote you :confused: :rolleyes:

I think you are getting confused with VAT, cruises call at a non EU Port, so they don't have to add VAT.

Spanish tax is payable when in Spanish waters, regardless of other ports visited.

As an aside, P&O paid (or did not charge) passengers Spanish Tax (10%) on all purchases while in Barcelona for the 2 days, which was very generous of them :)

I wonder if they'll pay everyone elses tax that visits Barcelona on P&O ships this summer? Worth asking???

That was really good of P&O, how nice if they did pick it up for every cruise, but I don't think that's likely to happen :p

I read your previous comment, I too would have been annoyed that everyone didn't play by the rules, but well done on wining the tickets. Looking forward to your cruise review.

I think you are getting confused with VAT, cruises call at a non EU Port, so they don't have to add VAT.

Spanish tax is payable when in Spanish waters, regardless of other ports visited.

Correct, when in Spanish ports the extra tax is always payable. Going to a non EU port makes no difference.

If you do not go to a non EU port it affects all purchases throughout the cruise.

Correct, when in Spanish ports the extra tax is always payable. Going to a non EU port makes no difference.

If you do not go to a non EU port it affects all purchases throughout the cruise.

Another reason to choose Celebrity, they don't charge !!

So they just add the extra cost in as they have to pay it.

Incorrect, by law Celebrity have to charge Spanish VAT (and Italian come to that) if the cruise does not call at a non-EU port.

So they just add the extra cost in as they have to pay it.

No, they don't because it is itemised on all receipts as it has to be if people not from the EU are able to reclaim it back before they depart the EU. Edited by peteukmcr

It's worth having a word with the wine waiter if you are ordering when still in a Spanish port. Once the customs guy has left and the ship has sailed he can then put the chit in. Forget Spanish waters, once the ship pulls away its back to normal

David.

Incorrect, by law Celebrity have to charge Spanish VAT (and Italian come to that) if the cruise does not call at a non-EU port.

No, they don't because it is itemised on all receipts as it has to be if people not from the EU are able to reclaim it back before they depart the EU.

So why does P&O have to charge this tax even if they go into Gib. This has to be the same for all cruise lines. Going into a non EU port has no effect on this extra Spanish tax. Does it depend on the make up of the passengers on the ship.?

So why does P&O have to charge this tax even if they go into Gib. This has to be the same for all cruise lines. Going into a non EU port has no effect on this extra Spanish tax.

How wrong you are, the Celebrity cruise calling into Gib and then further Spanish and Italian port does NOT pay Spanish VAT.

I think people are getting confused here, the Spaniah tax works like VAT in the UK. With different rates for different items, in Spain the rate on bar items is about 8%. If you sail from a UK Port, You will be charged this in Spanish waters.

However, as previously stated wine waiters do try to help and we have found they sometimes have a "problem" and can't process the order for a day or two:p

If you sail from a Spanish Port, and do NOT visit an non EU country, you will be charged Spanish tax the entire voyage. Including on items in the shops which adds about another 23%.

It's exactly the same if you sail from the UK and do not visit a non EU country, VAT of 20% will be added to all onboard purchases.

We were charged Spanish tax on our Celebrity cruise, I would be interested in seeing where it says they no longer pass this charge on to their pax, as it was not my experience.

It's now 10% and shown on receipt slip you sign for drinks. If you drink wine with dinner buy a 4 bottle package while on a sea day, then you can use these bottles on days when you're in Spanish waters :)

(P-B still writing it! :p)

So why does P&O have to charge this tax even if they go into Gib. This has to be the same for all cruise lines. Going into a non EU port has no effect on this extra Spanish tax. Does it depend on the make up of the passengers on the ship.?

No idea why P&O have to charge as I haven't sailed with them, but have sailed Celebrity which is the example I was citing (and Royal Caribbean) who must charge it when not visiting a non EU port.

Perhaps you should ask P&O.

How wrong you are, the Celebrity cruise calling into Gib and then further Spanish and Italian port does NOT pay Spanish VAT.

We are talking about the extra 8% Spanish tax not the general VAT. Spanish or otherwise.