Your Time Dining: How does it work?

jchristi

We are a party of 7 sailing on the Legend to Alaska in May. We are experienced cruisers (mostly Disney), but have never done the flexible dining times. Do we line up when we want to eat? If so, I imagine there may be a wait for our large party. Can we call the morning of and make a "reservation", or even days in advance? I imagine that my parents may spend less time in port than the rest of us and may want to eat earlier. Do you have to keep the same number in your party every night?

Thanks for any info!

Edited by jchristi

On our last cruise in Feb (Valor) we had to wait and average of 45 min most of the nights. Party of 4.

If you go as soon as they open or late then I think the wait times are shorter. We always went 30 to 60 min after opening.

It's fine if your parents go to dinner earlier. You don't all have to eat together.

We were on Victory last weekend and never had to wait very long - just long enough for them to seat the people ahead of us. We usually went around 7'ish. Later in the evening, they were handing out beepers.

The dining room does tend to be busier on elegant nights.

On our last cruise in Feb (Valor) we had to wait and average of 45 min most of the nights. Party of 4.

If you go as soon as they open or late then I think the wait times are shorter. We always went 30 to 60 min after opening.

We were also on Valor, party of 4, we went down between 6:30 and 7:00 PM most nights and got seated very quickly (except 1st formal night as I advised).

You understand the basics and others have expounded... it's just like going to a restaurant on land. Show up at a busy time and/or with a large party and you might have to wait. Show up during off-peak times with a party of two and you will likely have no wait at all.

The beauty of YTD is the flexibility it affords over fixed seating... dine together at the same time or dine apart at different times. The downside is you may (or may not) have a wait to be seated.

We did ATD once. We were seated fairly quick, but it took at least 30-45 minutes longer to finish the service. Several times we left before dessert in order to make it to the early show. We will stay with early dining from now on. YMMV

It depends on the pax on your cruise how long of a wait you'll experience for ATD. For a larger party we get fixed dining. If we miss our time we go to the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are just off the Liberty today and had ATD. Whenever you're ready to eat just go to your assigned dining room and check-in with the hostess, just like a restaurant. If there is a wait they will give you a pager. We waited about 20-30 min both times we ate there.

I am a fan of YTD. When it is just hubby and I or Hubby and the two youngest girls we seldom have a wait, except for first formal night.

When we cruise as a family the number grows to 8 or 9 (Mom is the variable). YTD was made for us. We plan at least one night that we all dine together and yes there is sometimes a wait. There are limited numbers of big tables on some ships. But every other night it is perfect because we are seldom all on the same schedule.