Question about food preference issues

Mytime2014

I love onions. But the next cruise the chef may want to toss me over board. My poor diet has changed. I can't have yeast, dairy, sugar. Pretty much a bland diet. I can have all the onions and garlic and some veggies I can't have. Fruit is pretty much out as well. Hmmm I may not cruise...

I love onions. But the next cruise the chef may want to toss me over board. My poor diet has changed. I can't have yeast, dairy, sugar. Pretty much a bland diet. I can have all the onions and garlic and some veggies I can't have. Fruit is pretty much out as well. Hmmm I may not cruise...

Tell them the first night and they will usually do a good job for you but watch what comes to the table very carefully as sometimes the waitstaff will not pay attention to what comes out of the galley.

I hate onions. HATE. I've been picking onion out of my food since I was a child. It isn't a big deal. Your friend can do the same thing. I also would never send food back if I hadn't bothered to ask about onions.

I'd be careful with this. So many people say they're allergic or intolerant to things just because of distaste or other reasons, that servers start to not take legitimate allergy issues as seriously. Every server I know has a story about the "lactose intolerant" person who had no problems drinking milk, or the "allergic to tomatoes" person who wanted the tomato left off the salad but had no problem with their pasta and marinara sauce. :rolleyes:

For the sake of people who do have dangerous allergic reactions to some foods, I think it's a good practice to not fake an allergy just because of a distaste for a particular item.

Many people have food allergies that will cause migraines (DW) or even death. Hate when people do things like this.

This times 1000. I am lactose intolerant but to a point which is annoying. My body handles it differently on a day by day case by case basis. Some days I can have more than others. I have to be very careful and check how much is used in certain dishes. I could be VERY ill if I overdo it.

I know it's not the OPs fault but their friend sounds a right cow. It's obvious she KNOWS what she is doing when she doesn't bother reading a menu doesn't 'remember' EVERY TIME and then sends back food. It's rude and wasteful and she'd get short shrift from me

She "forgets" to ask because she's distracted... sweet as can be on all other things. Maybe because I'm the type to pick out what I don't like or just eat anything that lands in front of me - I don't get it! I'm the easy one out of the four...waitstaff is gonna love me!

She forgets because she is passive aggressive and is seeking attention. What a load of baloney... stop making excuses for her and for yourself. You seem to love pleasing her. Accept it , move on.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

She forgets because she is passive aggressive and is seeking attention. What a load of baloney... stop making excuses for her and for yourself. You seem to love pleasing her. Accept it , move on.

Moving on Dad, thank you for your VERY insightful assistance!!

I actually got very good ideas from helpful people and was so afraid that I'd be completely beat up!! My concern is for tablemates and staff - no excuses offered for my own behavior. I recognize passive aggressive...and I recognize arses...:rolleyes:

Seriously? When I read this the first time, I thought it was an April Fool's joke. Your travelling companion hates onions but won't tell anyone until the plate arrives and then sends it back. This person needs a big attitude adjustment. My oh my are they self-indulgent and wasteful.

As for what you could do... inform the maitre d' for ATD. Even if you do not get the same wait staff each night, you will be greeted the Maitre d' who should get to know you and help save you some discomfort.

Wow, still cannot believe the arrogance of this one.

You said exactly what I was thinking...

You have two choices. Either let her play her game and you finish you dinner and leave her to finish her's a few times and maybe she will get the message OR since you know what's going on, you mention to the waiter each night that she wants no onions.

Your choice.

You have two choices. Either let her play her game and you finish you dinner and leave her to finish her's a few times and maybe she will get the message OR since you know what's going on, you mention to the waiter each night that she wants no onions.

Your choice.

Problem with letting them know at the dinner table is it ain't gonna happen. No way can they pick out the onions at the last moment while feeding 3,000. Needs to preorder. She'll feel special when the waiter confirms her order.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She forgets because she is passive aggressive and is seeking attention. What a load of baloney... stop making excuses for her and for yourself. You seem to love pleasing her. Accept it , move on.l

Exactly what I was thinking.

She does it because she gets something out of it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

She does it because she gets something out of it.

There is something just entirely strange about the whole story.

I can believe it happens, but the ops follow up replies are strange.

She must be a REALLY good friend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk