NCL and the ugly bedspreads

cyrilee

Can someone tell me what it is called when you have a top sheet then another sheet with a blanket then sheet. I LOVE when a hotel does this. I cannot stand to sleep with their blankets next to me. Yuck....

Can I request this be done to our beds when on a cruise?? Thanks

You can request anything you want.

It may not always be provided - but certainly ask.

Every request we made was fulfilled.

We did ask for extra sheets - one between the duvet and the bottom sheet.

They had already set the twins up into the queen configuration, and provided the requested egg crate mattress pad.

They even brought extra sheets in, and asked if we wanted the triple sheets as described in another post.

Don't be shy about asking for what makes you comfortable.

We found NCL to be very accomodating in this respect.

Does the room steward customarily change the sheets everyday (as in a hotel) or is this a special request? We are sailing on the Majesty. Thanks :)
what hotels have you been frequenting in the past 5 years? Hotels do not change the linens daily nor do ships. I never understood why they did this in the past; we don't change ours at home daily. NMNita

The Hyatt downtown in Indianapolis

The Opryland Hotel in Nashville

Millennium Hotel downtown Cincinnati

They DO offer the option to be eco-friendly and not have them changed. But I figure if I am staying at a premium price hotel I am going to have clean sheets everyday. :) I would like the same option on my cruise...so just asking.

Does the room steward customarily change the sheets everyday (as in a hotel) or is this a special request? Thanks :)

It's a special request. Please reconsider this, because changing sheets every day causes the ship to wash and dry sheets everyday. That causes the ship to use more fresh water, and causes the ship to store and discharge more dirty water eventually. That's more pollution in any environmentalist book.

Much of Alaska is still in its natural state, that's why so many want to cruise there, and the last thing we need to be doing is leaving any man made pollution all over Alaska.

Also, is it really necessary to have new towels everyday?

Also, is it really necessary to have new towels everyday?

Well...moreso than requesting new sheets.

What the heck are they doing in these beds that requires new sheets every day?????? :confused:

Towels on the other hand, may not dry quickly enough for effective re-use.

Towels on the other hand, may not dry quickly enough for effective re-use.

My towels have always dried quick enough to be used on the next day........

Granted, if you're the type who must shower twice or three times per day, your towels will not be dry.........

But you're pollutiong twice and three times as much as I........:(

My car's radiator converts ozone (pollution) into oxygen :o :

"Volvo introduced the PremAir®* radiator system, which helps clean ground level ozone as you drive. PremAir® can best be described as a coating on the radiator that actually turns ground level ozone into oxygen as air flows through it. At high temperatures, up to 75% of ozone is converted into pure, breathable - and very welcome - oxygen. "

And I reuse towels at home. But I've found the few times that I've tried to reuse them on cruise, that they haven't dried sufficiently.

Hi I saw this thread and had to post. Thanks electricron-I agree with all your points. I was so pleased to see the sign in the bathroom on Star to reuse the towels-rehang & the ones on the floor-dirty/replace. We stayed at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall & they have similar policy, but Canada is even more eco friendly by providing recycling cont in hotel rooms for glass, cans etc.

Whatever you do-do no ask them to take away the bedspreads-i had heard they didnt get washed very often, so my only request for our cabin stewart was to remove the bedspreads, as were we in a sm inside cabin & we could use the extra space. Well, it turned into quite the fiasco-upon returning to our cabin(the note had been left upon embarkation & we returned hrs later). The beds were turned down, but the lovely duvets(that were on the bed when we cked into our cabin 4 hrs earlier) were gone and its its place a blanket w/no top sheet. Oh yes, the bedspread was still there.

I called housekeeping to ask for our 2 duvets back. Cut to 5 phone calls and 2 visits, 1 from head of housekeeping to figure out the problem. They all acted like they had never encountered the "duvet" that had been removed from our cabin or the actual concept of a top sheet. Mom and I were laughing the whole time @ it, finally head of housekeeping calls-understands @ duvets etc & says he will send his person down with them. He arrives w/1 duvet, finally he gets it and that we need 1 more and all will be well :), we again had a good laugh and in a few minutes our second one arrived. We were not upset in the least as it was so comical, but by the 5th. phone call, i was done& just wanted to go to sleep w/ any kind of sheet.

Moral of the story-live w/the bedspeads or be careful of what you ask for :)

Liz

Loved the cruise and the Star-already planning Mex Riv cruise on her, but w/a balcony-i missed that way too much to go without again if at all possible.

The Hyatt downtown in Indianapolis

The Opryland Hotel in Nashville

Millennium Hotel downtown Cincinnati

They DO offer the option to be eco-friendly and not have them changed. But I figure if I am staying at a premium price hotel I am going to have clean sheets everyday. :) I would like the same option on my cruise...so just asking.

Towels I can maybe understand but sheets, not on my life: I can't argue about the 3 examples you give but have stayed in many Hyatts and Hiltons in the past 5 years and non have changed sheets on a daily basis. This also holds true for Bellagios in Vegas. Just because you are staying at a premium priced hotel is no reason to be wasteful. All the extra laundry does pollute the water. If you find it necessary to have your sheets changed I suppose you can make a request but as electron said, please think about the ecology and re-consider. nmnita

Hi,

I think, the easiest way to get duvets like the ones at the Norwegian Dawn could be: Walk to IKEA. They should have these - and they have the covers too.

These kind of duvets are common in most northern parts of Europe (since I began to travelm I didn ´t know, that there are other possibilities for beds - and I hate the Motel 6 type - urgs...)

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&categoryId=13740&langId=-1&parentCats=10103*13740&chapterId=10346&cattype=sub

(Ikea call that quilt.... not correct - but it is that, what you want... you can order online)

Wendy

I found out about duvets when I was living in London in the mid-80s. When I moved back to the U.S., the first thing I did was track one down (not so easy back then).

I figure it's saved me a couple of months of my life in bedmaking time since then...time better spent on, oh, say, a cruise ship.

Hi,

I think, the easiest way to get duvets like the ones at the Norwegian Dawn could be: Walk to IKEA. They should have these - and they have the covers too. quilt.... not correct - but it is that, what you want... you can order online)

Yes, good point---we love the IKEA polyester ones for summer use, and our goosedown one (can't remember where we got it, but it was an investment) for winter nights. Mmmmmm.

IKEA also has a "year-round" one that is two duvets in one: a summer-weight and an autumn-weight version, and you tie them them together for a winter-weight duvet.

I can't believe I'm going on about bedding at this length.

They aren't that ugly. I'll assume NCL hires professional interior designers.

I'm glad I'm not an interior designer, it's impossible to keep everyone happy!

Yes, they really are that unattractive

As for changing sheets everyday, that is plain silly.

In today's world of constant appeals to help with the eco system, I can't imagine why in the world anyone would add to the problem by changing sheets every day.

Can you imagine the laundry which would accumulate on all cruise lines if everyone wanted their sheets and towels changed daily! Yikes

:eek:

Can someone tell me what it is called when you have a top sheet then another sheet with a blanket then sheet. I LOVE when a hotel does this. I cannot stand to sleep with their blankets next to me. Yuck....

Can I request this be done to our beds when on a cruise?? Thanks

It's called triple sheeting.

Those of you who stated that you could care less about the bedspreads, I agree. As long as it's clean. I care more about the aesthetics of the dining areas than the actual cabin where I spend very little time, not to mention the design of the spread is not facing me as I sleep.

To be honest, as long as I am on the ship and enjoying myself and sleeping in a comfortable clean bed, I can care less how the bedspread looks. I love the bedding on NCL and when I go on my cruise on the Spirit in July, the last thing on my mind will be what the bedspread looks like. I don't care what the color scheme of the room is either as long as it is clean and has enough space (I was on the Norwegian Sea in 2002 with a tiny inside cabin so the SPirit cabin will be bigger). As far as I'm concerned, when I am in the cabin I will either be sleeping (not able to see the color scheme or design) or getting ready (not caring about the color scheme or design). I am always more interested in the decor of the public rooms than the cabin.

I also never heard of a hotel changing sheets everyday. I like the towel option also. It just makes sense.

Bonnie

I just returned from the Star Mexican Riv. The only thing I remember about the bedspread is that it was rolled in a nice neat roll and tucked away above our closet with the life jackets, and it stayed there all week. We STILL had a wonderful week!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have to say that it really scares me to think that there are actually people out there who book their cruises dependant on the design/color of the bedspreads! I don't think I'd want to read their comment cards at the end of the week!

I have to say that it really scares me to think that there are actually people out there who book their cruises dependant on the design/color of the bedspreads! I don't think I'd want to read their comment cards at the end of the week!

Must admit, this is a very extreme idea.

If there are those who choose to do so, that is their option, and really

should not bother anyone else.

Making a comment about the bedspread has gotten some very

interesting comments here.

The overall feel of the cruise must also include decor; and obviously,

that would include a bedspread!!

If not, what is all of the trouble that the cruise lines go to "Wow" us all about.

They may as well save a lot of money, and just shop for all of the decor at any discount store, or your local Over Stock Market if we are to believe that anything goes.

Overall appearances are usually important to all of us.

But, if not for some, that is the way the cookie crumbles, isn't it.

No biggie, but none the less it is still very nice to walk into a cabin or room, and be able to note with appreciation that the decor is nice and welcoming.

It is my understanding that a number of NCL's ships were originally planned for the Asian market and then shifted to North America after all the interior furnishings had been ordered and for that reason the aesthetic is a little startling to some. I know some of the bedcovers on the Star remind me of 1970's kiddy bedroom colors with the primary colors and large patterns. Though if I remember correctly, the decor in our penthouse suite was different from the regular balcony cabins and each penthouse had a different theme named after different famous designers.

Archived