Question for anyone recently on Anthem

I have read some older posts that say there were reliability problems on Anthem using the text messaging function with the Royal IQ app. If you were recently on Anthem and used the text function of Royal IQ, what was your experience and do you feel that it was worth it?

I loved it. For $7.95 it was well worth it for 12 days. The only downside is that the phone only vibrates, so if you are not holding it you wouldn't know you have a text. I would just check the phone every once in awhile to see if there were any messages. It was also great for calling a cabin, without having to find a phone.

I can understand why it only vibrates. It would be pretty annoying if there were phone ringing all the time in shows or restaurants or even on deck.

Edited by gaylemh

I loved it. For $7.95 it was well worth it for 12 days. The only downside is that the phone only vibrates, so if you are not holding it you wouldn't know you have a text. I would just check the phone every once in awhile to see if there were any messages. It was also great for calling a cabin, without having to find a phone.

I can understand why it only vibrates. It would be pretty annoying if there were phone ringing all the time in shows or restaurants or even on deck.

Thank you for your quick response. I will be on board in 35 days and planned on getting the service so I am glad to hear you liked it.

Hello, I thought the use of Royal IQ was free? Is there a charge? if so is it per device? Thank you.

All of the rest of the functions are free, but there's a charge for the texting portion - $7.95/ device.

WOW, we really missed out one this one. I did say guest services was run by airheads in my review. Not only did two different people from guest services tell us the wrong time for the CC party and cause us to miss it, we were also told that adding text was $15 per day per device. That was the same as internet, we did not bring our laptops, so did not sign up. I did question her about the price for only text on the ship.

We really could have used this............darn!!!:mad: Not much communication or correct answers from guest services.

All of the rest of the functions are free, but there's a charge for the texting portion - $7.95/ device.

Just got off the Anthem. We loved the texting and calling within the ship function. A couple of notes: 1) it is $7.95 per cabin not device. 2) Everyone in your cabin will be automatically assigned an ID#, you must give the ID# to anyone wishing to text or call you and they will add to their contact list. 3) You can only text or call another cabin if they have signed up for texting as well.

I found another little known fact. I have Wifi calling through T-mobile. I signed up for the Voom internet service and turned my phone on airplane mode then turned the wifi back on. I was able to make voice calls to anyone in the US for free! I can only claim this on T-mobile not sure about AT&T or Verizon.

... I found another little known fact. I have Wifi calling through T-mobile. I signed up for the Voom internet service and turned my phone on airplane mode then turned the wifi back on. I was able to make voice calls to anyone in the US for free! I can only claim this on T-mobile not sure about AT&T or Verizon.

I believe AT&T just added this capability to iPhones with the latest IOS upgrade.

I believe AT&T just added this capability to iPhones with the latest IOS upgrade.

Actually is was Verizon that just added wifi calling two weeks ago for iPhone 6 and above plus IOS 9.3. That is a great feature if you buy Voom.

Just got off the Anthem. We loved the texting and calling within the ship function. A couple of notes: 1) it is $7.95 per cabin not device. 2) Everyone in your cabin will be automatically assigned an ID#, you must give the ID# to anyone wishing to text or call you and they will add to their contact list. 3) You can only text or call another cabin if they have signed up for texting as well.

Someone else had posted that when you receive a text the phone vibrates but does not ring. If someone places a call to your phone does it also just vibrate or will it ring?

Someone else had posted that when you receive a text the phone vibrates but does not ring. If someone places a call to your phone does it also just vibrate or will it ring?

Sorry, I am not sure. Since I was also using my phone for outside calls and emails, I had my phone set to vibrate so that it did not disturb others. So I don't know if it would have made a sound. By the way, I was getting alerts on my phone when I received a text or call without opening my Royal IQ app.

Sorry, I am not sure. Since I was also using my phone for outside calls and emails, I had my phone set to vibrate so that it did not disturb others. So I don't know if it would have made a sound. By the way, I was getting alerts on my phone when I received a text or call without opening my Royal IQ app.

OK, thank you for this info.

WOW, we really missed out one this one. I did say guest services was run by airheads in my review. Not only did two different people from guest services tell us the wrong time for the CC party and cause us to miss it, we were also told that adding text was $15 per day per device. That was the same as internet, we did not bring our laptops, so did not sign up. I did question her about the price for only text on the ship.

We really could have used this............darn!!!:mad: Not much communication or correct answers from guest services.

Hi, I have an old, flip Verizon cell. I don't use it often at all, so I'm not upgrading just yet. Will the service work on this phone? I don't mind paying the #7.95 for the 12 days we'll be gone to check in with family every few days. Also, would it pay to drag my laptop? is there an extra charge for that use? If so, how much per day or trip?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by UandMe4Ever
additional question

Hi, I have an old, flip Verizon cell. I don't use it often at all, so I'm not upgrading just yet. Will the service work on this phone? I don't mind paying the #7.95 for the 12 days we'll be gone to check in with family every few days.

Thanks for your help.

For the $7.95 you can only text those on the ship, that also paid the $7.95. You can't text those at home. Verizon charges $.50/text sent and $.05/text received when texting home from the ship.

For the $7.95 you can only text those on the ship, that also paid the $7.95. You can't text those at home. Verizon charges $.50/text sent and $.05/text received when texting home from the ship.

Also the $7.95 covers the entire cabin even if you have 4 people. Each person is given a unique number for their phone.

The texting option sounds great for our family of 8 in 3 cabins but we're from Canada and planned on not getting a cell package from our provider. If I purchase Voom won't I have to take airplane mode off and then I'll be receiving outside text messages at a cost?

The texting option sounds great for our family of 8 in 3 cabins but we're from Canada and planned on not getting a cell package from our provider. If I purchase Voom won't I have to take airplane mode off and then I'll be receiving outside text messages at a cost?

Depends on the type of text messages you want to receive.

If you are using an internet based texting service, such as WhatsApp, iMessage, etc., then all you need is Voom, and you can leave the phone in Airplane Mode.

If you need to send/receive SMS text messages, then you will have to tuen off Airplane Mode.

Depends on the type of text messages you want to receive.

If you are using an internet based texting service, such as WhatsApp, iMessage, etc., then all you need is Voom, and you can leave the phone in Airplane Mode.

If you need to send/receive SMS text messages, then you will have to tuen off Airplane Mode.

Also the $7.95 is for Royal IQ, a way to stay in touch with friends and family on the cruise ship. Voom is for wifi at $15 and up.

Also the $7.95 is for Royal IQ, a way to stay in touch with friends and family on the cruise ship. Voom is for wifi at $15 and up.

Thank-you, have to keep in mind the different capabilities on the Quantum class.:)