Charleston hotel/park/shuttle

averysmama

We are sailing on the Escstay in just a couple days… anyone have suggestions on a hotel with free parking and shuttle service in the Charleston area?

Thanks in advance!

Also, I hope I'm posting this in the right place… if not, I'm so sorry!

Definately post on East Coast departures. I live in the Charleston area and if it was me leaving my car, I would choose a Mount Pleasant hotel. I don't know if they have a park and cruise package but we love the Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant. Otherwise I would just pay to park my car at the port. Just my humble opinion.

We are looking for the same kind of information since we plan to stay overnight before a cruise out of Charleston. Found this list of park and cruise Charleston hotels. All of the deals seem pretty similar so we'll probably go with the nicest looking hotel.

Just my .02 as someone who lives in the Charleston area, I clicked that link and 4 hotels popped up.

The HIE that's listed is on Ashley Phosphate Rd. in N. Charleston. You'd be right near a mall and countless restaurants, but that area tends to be one big congested traffic mess. There's a reason locals call the road "Ashley Frustrate." Just sayin....

The Hampton Inn listed is near another big mall. Further from the downtown area (where the port is) than the 2 remaining listings, but no real issues other than it is literally right next to a huge traffic/overpass interchange. But close to a couple of restaurants, a CVS for any last minute needs etc.

The Best Western that's listed is closer to the port than the Hampton Inn. Both of these are along a major roadway. Nothing special or "Charleston-ish" about either location but nothing horrible about them either.

The Wyndam Garden Inn in Mt. Pleasant is almost brand new, and it's a pretty easy drive to get to the Ravenel Bridge over to downtown and the port. BUT, while it's essentially in the middle of Mt. Pleasant, it's in a sort of awkward location in that there's nothing around it that you can walk to. If you have a car, no big deal. PLENTY of restaurants within a 3-5 minute drive. Just mentioning this because in my experience it's unusual to find a hotel that doesn't have SOMETHING next door or right across the street where you can grab a bite. Only thing you can walk to from this one is an Exxon station, LOL.

So, take your pick. :)

I've heard bad things about parking at the pier. By the way which pier does the Ecstasy sail from??? Heard the shuttle is not very good, takes a long time and doesn't drop you off at the correct site for your car....How true is this???

The shuttle is fine. It is waiting right outside of the warehouse that you will park in. They mostly use small busses that hold maybe 50 people so you have to wait for it to fill up. We've never waited more than 5-8 minutes for it to fill up, even if we were the first on. It's a little slower on the return trip as you have everyone disembarking in huge groups and they have to load the luggage into a trailer behind the bus, but still goes quicker than you'd expect. They drop you off in the adjacent warehouse so they can pull in and out without trying to avoid people wandering with their luggage and cars backing out. It probably adds an additional 60 seconds to the walk to your car...really not that big of a deal.

One warning, do not give them your carry on that has liquor in it. They quickly load and unload them and they're not very gentle with the bags!