Black and white ball

I wonder if costume diamonds would suffice as the white part of the above ball. I have a black dress only and thought if I had earings, necklace and bracelet in costume diamonds it would suffice.

Please don't get all hung up about the themed balls. There really is no need to do anything different. You will be absolutely fine with what you describe.

Only a very small amount of pax, say less than 10%, dress up specially for the balls, and they are the avid ballroom dancers.

Around the rest of the ship, things carry on as normal.

Have fun!

Stewart

I second Stewart's observations. If your formalwear is black/white, fine. If not, you won't feel out-of-place. Have fun! Don't worry!

And, welcome to Cruise Critic, Lynn

Edited by jimmybean

Our first few QM2 cruises we had one suitcase just for ball themed clothing. Of course that was before baggage restrictions on flights. It used to be the majority of guests would dress appropriately for the balls. Even the few children on board would be all dressed up. They looked so nice. Each cruise after that seemed fewer and fewer guests went all out anymore.

We haven't been on QM2 lately but hear not so strict adherence anymore.

Black dress with silver/diamond/white colored accessories perfectly acceptable for black white ball.

Enjoy your cruise.

Would a cocktail length dress with fringe on the bottom be appropriate for the Roaring 20's formal night?

The suggested dress for formal night says gown or cocktail dress and it's hard to find 20's type dresses in gowns, so I got a knee length dress.

Edited by suzyed

Yes Suzyed perfectly acceptable attire. I wore a just below the knee dress with a feather headband, and was probably one of about 20 pax who dressed for the 20's formal. :)

Really? That's disappointing that more didn't dress up. Well I am packing my feather headband and long strand of pearls anyway!! ;)

Thanks for the info!:)

Black & white ball is easy to do as men are already dressed in black & white for formal nights. I wear a long black/white dress.

Or you could wear a black dress and add white accessories.

Silver jewellery goes well with black and white or you could wear costume diamante .

I wear my black and white diamonds. Good excuse to dress up.

Most people do dress in black and white on that theme night and those that do not stand out like a sore thumb.

Themed balls are not just for the people who dance.

You can dress in the theme of things and not go near the ballroom.

I love to dress up at theme nights and I rarely make it to the Queens room in time to see the parade of the dresses.

It's the fun thing to do. I have dressed up a lot as we have done a few long world cruises.

However ,on shorter cruises I admit I do not always bother due to luggage restrictions.

On our recent cruise, I wore black & white on the theme night and red for Valentines Ball.

There were no other themed nights and if there had been I would have had to pass on the theme as we were flying to join the ship.

Have a good time and enjoy dressing up on Cunard.

Edited by maggiemou

My observation has been that most people, not necessarily dancers, do attempt to adhere to the themes with the exception of those who choose to eat dinner in the King's Court in their very casual clothes.

That being said, I could not find a black and white long or cocktail length dress that I liked so I had black, white and silver jewelry made by a local jeweler. It worked out fine and there were many people in black dresses who had black/white evening bags, shoes or a white coursage etc. Your outfit sounds like it will be fine.

I'm not sure if I am disappointed or relieved to hear that most passengers don't get into the theme of the balls. We are doing our first Cunard cruise in July and have a 20's theme and a Venetian masked ball theme. Sounded fun, but also like a bit of a hassle from a packing perspective.

I'm not sure if I am disappointed or relieved to hear that most passengers don't get into the theme of the balls. We are doing our first Cunard cruise in July and have a 20's theme and a Venetian masked ball theme. Sounded fun, but also like a bit of a hassle from a packing perspective.

While most passengers don't bother (from my observations), those who do seem to have a lot of fun with it and those who don't still derive pleasure watching those dressed in theme attire...

Trulytracy, if this is something you would enjoy doing, have fun with it!

Have the best time in July and Welcome to sailing with Cunard!

Jimmybean

Tracey, you will thoroughly enjoy it. Enjoy Cunard. Don't worry too much about themed nights. Just wear your normal formal wear and watch the others.