Viking Culinary Rouen Excursion

Edgemere

What a wonderfully thoughtful gesture for Viking to offer this afternoon excursion to visit Domaine Duclos Fougeray farm and sample its wares for just $89 per person. If one ventures to the website of the farm it is open for visitors during the week from 2 PM to 6 PM for touring and sampling for free. Cognizant of the fact that one needs transportation to get to farm there should be a nominal charge but for $89 per person one should be conveyed in a modern version of the Montgolfier Brothers Hot Air Balloons.

IF ANY excursion seems too expensive for what it is, one is not required to take said excursion!!

I don't think overpriced excursions are characteristic of only Viking. Of course, Viking is the whipping boy on these boards........

When Viking (or any other cruise company) messes up ,they deserve criticism. But when you have more ships than everyone else combined, #of complaints seems magnified.

IF ANY excursion seems too expensive for what it is, one is not required to take said excursion!!

I don't think overpriced excursions are characteristic of only Viking. Of course, Viking is the whipping boy on these boards........

When Viking (or any other cruise company) messes up ,they deserve criticism. But when you have more ships than everyone else combined, #of complaints seems magnified.

Well said. Most of the complaints are comparable to frivolous lawsuits.

This is not a criticism of Viking, but my guess is that all cruise lines (river or otherwise) are overpriced. When possible, we like to do private tours with other CC contributors. Not only is it cheaper than the equivalent cruise company tour, but less crowded, and we usually see more. However, on river cruises, it's hard to find those like minded CC contributors, so taking the cruise company optional is an easy way to go. After all, we spent all this money on airfare to get there, plus the cost of the cruise, what's another $89 if it's something we really want to do?

What many forget is that when you add up all the "extras" you could have had an all-inclusive cruise for a similar price. Even those who wave the Viking flag proudly have to admit that to charge $89 p/p to see an attraction that the public can see/taste for free is just a bit much.

The wineries website is in French so I have no way to dispute that everything is free......nor have we seen exactly what the excursion itinerary says is included. In any case what sharkster 77 said still holds true. Everyone is free to get their own transportation to said excursion. I will agree that excursions are way over priced for all cruise lines I have seen. Without too much trouble you could come up with the same type of overpriced excursion for each cruise line and post it here. Whats the point? Buyer beware!!!!

I just looked it up. It is about 110 km to Domaine Duclos Fougeray from le Pecq. To get there it takes from 1 hour 42 minutes to 1 hour 55 minutes depending on the route taken. The excursion may originate from Rouen and be much closer than that.

Edited by Squigmond
Origin of excursion

I just looked it up. It is about 110 km to Domaine Duclos Fougeray from le Pecq. To get there it takes from 1 hour 42 minutes to 1 hour 55 minutes depending on the route taken. The excursion may originate from Rouen and be much closer than that.

I'll be on the cruise in November, the excursion is from Rouen.