Reservations for my time dining?

RCCL suggests making a reservation in the MDR for every night of the cruise even though we are set up with my time dining. The whole purpose of choosing this option is to be flexible and eat whenever we choose based on what is happening on the ship that night (shows, events .....). There is no visibility into those schedules prior to sailing. Is it really necessary to lock it down or can you still go at any time and just expect to wait to be seated?

RCCL suggests making a reservation in the MDR for every night of the cruise even though we are set up with my time dining. The whole purpose of choosing this option is to be flexible and eat whenever we choose based on what is happening on the ship that night (shows, events .....). There is no visibility into those schedules prior to sailing. Is it really necessary to lock it down or can you still go at any time and just expect to wait to be seated?

We were on the Liberty a couple weeks ago and had MTD. We made reservations for 6:15 every night, but that ended up not being necessary. We sometimes showed up at 6 & once it was about 6:45 because of the delay getting back from Belize. Each time, we were able to go right to our seat and so was anybody else who walked up at that time. Now, when we left the dining room around 7:30-7:45, there was always about 40-50 people waiting for a table.

My problem is a 3 Bears kinda thing...early seating is too early, late seating...too late. I have put in a request for 6:30 to 7:00, but with 18 people linked its going to be a challenge for them...I said we'd take any configuration of tables but in the same area.

She sent my request to the ship. So we'll see...

You have to email rcldining?

I thought you could do it online like you book speciality dining reservations.

Good to know!

We booked ours online - seemed like it was about 2 months out when it showed up, but can't remember for sure.

We booked ours online - seemed like it was about 2 months out when it showed up, but can't remember for sure.

thanks! I did that on X and it was easy enough, but with X I could do it as soon as I made my reservation, so I had dinner reservations a year in advance!

You have to email rcldining?

I thought you could do it online like you book speciality dining reservations.

Good to know!

If you have My Time Dining, you can make reservations online. My understanding is that the rcldining email is for guests in traditional dining.

My problem is a 3 Bears kinda thing...early seating is too early, late seating...too late. I have put in a request for 6:30 to 7:00, but with 18 people linked its going to be a challenge for them...I said we'd take any configuration of tables but in the same area.

She sent my request to the ship. So we'll see...

I realize each ship might be different but my experience with a group of 10 on BOS with MTD was not favorable. Because I had a large group I made reservations ahead of time. When we boarded I went right to the dining room to confirm. They told me that my reservations would not be honored because my group was too big. I ended up with a set 6 pm reservation. Which made MTD totally useless for us. RCI needs to figure out how to accommodate all size groups with MTD.

I just prefer to deal directly with corporate for dining requests rather than depending on the website to get it right. That's all.

Since the head of dining there confirmed my request was sent to the ship, we'll have to wait and see what arrangements they cook up:D I realize that is a big group but I am confident they will be able to help us. I have been emailing them with special dining requests on every cruise for years. They have always come through for me, never a disappointment.:)

I just prefer to deal directly with corporate for dining requests rather than depending on the website to get it right. That's all.

Since the head of dining there confirmed my request was sent to the ship, we'll have to wait and see what arrangements they cook up:D I realize that is a big group but I am confident they will be able to help us. I have been emailing them with special dining requests on every cruise for years. They have always come through for me, never a disappointment.:)

I do the same thing. As a matter of fact, I emailed corporate last week about our September 9th and September 20th cruises and was told inventory wouldn't be loaded for another 3 - 4 weeks and that I could contact them again at that time. They are wonderful to work with.

I realize each ship might be different but my experience with a group of 10 on BOS with MTD was not favorable. Because I had a large group I made reservations ahead of time. When we boarded I went right to the dining room to confirm. They told me that my reservations would not be honored because my group was too big. I ended up with a set 6 pm reservation. Which made MTD totally useless for us. RCI needs to figure out how to accommodate all size groups with MTD.

this is good to know, thanks! We will have a large group on the Harmony.

• 2 weeks later...

Our situation is similar to the original poster. We have always done traditional dining at 8:15/8:30 on our cruises. Some family members just came off a cruise for two, and loved MTD, so we thought we'd give it a try since it'll only be four of us, instead of our normal group of 20-25. The email to make reservations for MTD caught us by surprise because we thought we'd just show at a the time we wanted, and get seated, which we know we may have to wait, which is no big deal. We haven't been on Royal in a while, and this is the other parties first time on Royal. We know we're going to go Chops one night, and another specialty restaurant another, just not sure which one until we get onboard, or in the weeks ahead. Is it necessary to make reservations for MTD?

Our situation is similar to the original poster. We have always done traditional dining at 8:15/8:30 on our cruises. Some family members just came off a cruise for two, and loved MTD, so we thought we'd give it a try since it'll only be four of us, instead of our normal group of 20-25. The email to make reservations for MTD caught us by surprise because we thought we'd just show at a the time we wanted, and get seated, which we know we may have to wait, which is no big deal. We haven't been on Royal in a while, and this is the other parties first time on Royal. We know we're going to go Chops one night, and another specialty restaurant another, just not sure which one until we get onboard, or in the weeks ahead. Is it necessary to make reservations for MTD?

MTD reservations are not mandatory, it's up to you.

Like any restaurant (cruise or not), there are only a set number of tables, If others have reservations or a lot of people come at the same time, you may need to wait. As we know, cruise dining is typically longer than a restaurant so your wait could be long or maybe not at all. You just don't know.

My suggestion is to make a reservation with your ideal time every night. Then once on board, you can change or cancel the reservation depending on shows, specialty restaurants, etc.