1st Time Cruise Memphis to St. Louis September

knitwitt44

Thank you for that tip-off LDVinNC - a useful prompt to look up Google maps. It seems that when we dock at Alton we are only about 30 minutes away from the airport. Somewhere I found a reference to the airport transfer which includes a tour of St Louis (which we will have visited the previous day.....) but now I can't find it again. From memory the price was $69 pp. But i can't find that now when I do a search, so maybe I was mistaken.

So a cab (or Uber) may be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Chris: Just booked our air and we will flying out of St. Louis at 12:35 also so perhaps we could share a cab. Will connect with you somehow. Sue

Hi Sue,

Just back from Baltic cruise (incl St Petersburg). Great trip but a bit cold and wet at times. We hope for better in TN.....

I'm sure we'll link up OK once we get on board if not at the hotel night before.

Will be happy to share a cab.

Got to find time to plan our after-cruise road trip when we fly up to DC. Have loads of suggestions from the Trip Advisor forum. It's amazing how helpful folk are when people like us ask for advice.

Have a good summer.

We've been reading your posts Brissle and enjoying as my husband is from Bristol and immigrated to Canada on the Queen Mary in 1951 as a wee boy. Father was in the RAF and Mother was a Canadian war bride. I had the privilege of visiting your fine city a few years ago when we sailed on the Queen Mary 2. Unfortunately, you will be starting your cruise in Memphis as we depart as we are on the New Orleans to Memphis leg. This is our first cruise with AQSC and very much looking forward to it. Enjoy your cruise.

Good to hear from you Kathy.

My brother emigrated to Canada in 1951 also - he was older than me. He lived in Ottawa, then Kingston and we visited him several times. We love Canada and spent one of our best ever holidays doing a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer from Calgary to Vancouver, then a week touring in Vancouver Island, then the Alaska cruise, then a week in Vancouver itself, then an RV back to Calgary in time for the Stampede show. My brother had told me that we had to visit Vancouver one day - and he was right - you have a wonderful city. So much music in the streets when we were there.

I use (and contribute to) Trip Advisor a lot - an amazing source of information when we are visiting new places. Usually Cruise Critic Roll Calls are good for cruises, but river cruises don't seem to get the same response.

Hope you have a good trip also - please leave the ship in good order for us...!!!

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response and kind words about our city and also Canada. It truly is a lovely place. Little bit of trivia for you that you may find interesting. My husband's family owned The Sedan Chair on the Mall in 1944 and we believe up until the mid 1970s. Unfortunately, when I saw it, it was being renovated & under construction so I could not appreciate what it was like back in the day.

As for your comment about keeping the AQ in good order for when you embark. I know, it's a rowdy crowd on the AQ so I'll keep my eyes out for anyone misbehaving :) Enjoy your cruise as well!

• 2 months later...

Hi Sue and Les - well we've started packing the bags and sorting the paperwork because we leave home next Wednesday to start our pre-cruise adventure.

We received the tickets and information pack yesterday and the pre-night hotel is confirmed as the Sheraton Downtown, Memphis.

We will be staying in an apartment in Memphis for 3 days prior to moving to the hotel on Sunday.

So we may catch up with you at the hotel or maybe later on the ship.

Our surname is Humphreys (Chris and Dawn) and we will be in cabin 412.

We hope to catch up with you somewhere.

Happy travels

Hi Chris and Dawn:

We received our tickets last week too and finally getting excited. I really need this trip. Lots of anxiety and family problems so I need this trip to look forward to.

Les and I are couple for 15 years now. Les Weinberg and Susan Kaplan from NYC area (Brooklyn and Stony Brook Long Island). Our cabin is 218. No balcony but a window which is fine with us. We will arrive in Memphis Saturday night and have Sunday to do some stuff. Monday, we plan on taking the Elvis tour and their bus to the dock. I am sure we can catch up with each other on Monday. We have early dining so perhaps we can connect in the main lobby at specific time so we meet.

Best and safe travels,

Sue

Chris and Dawn

Come to think it of it. We can meet in the lobby on Sunday either late afternoon or dinner time. I just know one thing: On Saturday, I have to go to the Rendezous rib resturant. They are closed on Sunday. I am told they have the best ribs in Memphis.

Best,

sue

Chris and Dawn

Come to think it of it. We can meet in the lobby on Sunday either late afternoon or dinner time. I just know one thing: On Saturday, I have to go to the Rendezous rib resturant. They are closed on Sunday. I am told they have the best ribs in Memphis.

Best,

sue

Thanks for the tip about Rendezvous.

We don't have plans yet for Sunday when we arrive, or Monday morning, because we will have already spent 3 days in town. We'll probably just want to chill out.

Late Sunday afternoon meet in the lobby sounds good - we expect to check in around lunchtime and will try to remember to find your room number and send you a message.

See you soon

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris and Dawn,

Well, we will off tomorrow, Saturday and should arrive at the Sheration around 3:00. On Sunday, we will wander Memphis and should be back in the afternoon to check in with American Queen. Our names are Susan Kaplan and Les Weinberg and I wrote your names down so I will try to leave a message to room so we can meet in the lobby later Sunday afternoon.

Hope you are enjoying your travels so far and we looking forward to meeting you.

Best,

Sue

Hi Sue,

We are in Memphis now - in an apartment and will transfer to the Sheraton on Sunday as planned. Don't know when they will let us check in, but we will leave our bags there in the morning before taking the rental car back.

We've had a great trip so far - have "done" Chattanooga and Nashville and now seeing the sights here. Just back from Graceland - well you have to do it after coming all this way !

We have a note of your name and will makecontact somehow later on Sunday afternoon.

Have a good trip,

All the best

Chris & Dawn (Humphreys)