new to Europe cruising

sockmonkeys

Mediterranean cruises are wonderful. All the advice above is great. Barcelona is one of my favorite cities. Taxis are plentiful, easy to find, and relatively cheap. You can do this port yourself. Sagrada Familia must be seen.

If you are going to Italy, Rome in Limo is a great service.

You should prob first choose a cruise itinerary. A grand Mediterranean would be ideal to get a nice taste of everything. Then you can start researching each port one by one.

Barcelona is a fav start/end port....lovely city and of all the places we have done a hop on/hop off bus this was the best! You can better appreciate Las Ramblas early morning when things are closed and no crowds. At night it's loud music, crowds, and nothing but crappiest souvenir stands. Beware of pickpockets here and on the subway. Everyone speaks English for the most part. We speak fluent Spanish and nobody ever wanted to speak Spanish!

If you don't have a credit card with a chip, get one. It doesn't have to be chip/pin however you may not be able to use a kiosk at some ticket locations. Wait until your there to get euros from ATM and have a credit card with 0 foreign transaction fees.

Rick Steves has a Mediterranean cruise port guide book which has lots of valuable information, maps, and suggested itineraries. Also you'll get alot of info from the Cruise ports boards on cruise critic

Tips for Europe

1. Public washrooms are usually pay for use. Always use free washrooms when available - museums, restaurants, cafes. McDonalds may require a code to access.

2. Don't walk in bike lanes unless you want to get run over.

3. Always be aware of pickpockets in crowded areas and on public transit. Also be familiar with scams such as the found gold ring, clip joints and bracelets.

4. Pre-book tickets online for popular museums and sights.

5. Always ask first if using a magnetic stripe credit card. Most automatic kiosks will only accept chip and pin. Always decline being charged in your local currency since you will always pay more for that convenience (google dynamic currency exchange)

Edited by movc

Hi

I would advise not to look like a tourist, do not may yourself a target for crime,

avoid carrying large amounts of cash, buy prepaid debit card with euros on it,

if lost you will be insured, do not take expensive watches or cameras ashore,

if buying a large value item, reclaim the vat before you leave country,

US and foreign passports are a very high value item for criminals do not flash one ashore,

if using credit cards do not let waiters take it into a back room to use, keep eye sight on it at all times,

Europe overall is very safe, but any big city has back streets and dark spots

do not wonder off and explore these areas unless you know what you are doing,

yours Shogun

With many many happy sunny beaches, overflowing buffets and magnificent glaciers, life is taking me in a different direction-cruising Europe. I have cruised the Caribbean and Alaska many time and consider myself a seasoned cruiser...but...would some kind soul give me their "elevator" conversation about Europe, specifically Normandy tours and Spanish ports of call! Do's and don'ts would be greatly appreciated! Insightful insider info very important. :)

Europe cruising is where it's at. My favorite place to cruise by far. My wife loves it so much, she doesn't like the Caribean anymore.

If you are looking for a credit card to use overseas look into Capital One as they don't charge foreign transaction fees.

Neither does the Princess charge card from Barclay...no fee for the card & we accumulate points (double for any Princess purchases) to redeem for rewards including as a credit on our card's balance. :)

Rick Steves has a Mediterranean cruise port guide book which has lots of valuable information, maps, and suggested itineraries.

I was about to recommend getting the Rick Steves Med port book (he also has a Northern Europe ports book) because it was invaluable for our European cruises. Instead of carrying the thick guidebook, I tore out sections for each port to easily use it while in port. On his websites he also has downloadable audio tours that describe suggested independent tours. Here's a link to his Rome audio tour: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy#romeaudiotour

Another useful site for free port info (includes maps & directions on using public transportation) is Tom's Port Guides (http://www.tomsportguides.com). He not only has European port info but from other ports around the world.

Rick's & Tom's guides visually show things that posts on CC can only describe in words. ;)

Now asking...... LeHavre is going to be a stop, please pitch in and give me the skinney on Normandy tours, cost wise and time wise. Book on ship or independent. How much time to devote?

Cheers!

The Princess tour shows it's currently $199 for their 10.5 hour tour (http://www.princess.com/excursion/exlistfordestination.page?portid=LEH&t=R&exType=S) described as "Travel to historic D-Day landing beaches on this all-day tour. You'll tour the Museum of the Landing Day at Arromanches, and visit the American Cemetery at Colleville-Sur-Mer where nearly 10,000 servicemen are buried. You'll make a photo stop at Omaha Beach, and enjoy a lunch at a local restaurant".

If you go to the Overlord website I previously posted you can view their prices & tours for cruise ship passengers. Here are their prices for a 9.5 hour tour & if interested I've read they can sellout well in advance:

Pick-up at the docking port is at the Arrival Terminal - Our vans are easily recognizable as they clearly show our logo.

Le Havre – 8.00am to 5.30/6pm : 95 Euros per person

Honfleur – 8.00am to 5.30/6pm : 95 Euros per person

Cherbourg – 8.00am to 5.30/6pm : 95 Euros per person

At today's exchange rate that's $108 & we get our Euros from European ATM's which offer the current exchange rate & not the worse rate used at the ship's money kiosk & airport exchange booths. You'd need to check your bank's fees but for me using an ATM in Europe has easily been my best option. I've read that some US banks sell Euros but when I checked it added a significant fee. When it was $1.10/€ at the ATM, to get it in the US it was nearly $1.30/€. I've never exchange $ for € in the US but that was my limited experience when considering my best option for exchanging currency.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Barcelona is an amazing city, went on a land trip there last year, but unfortunately it is notorious for handbag/purse/backpack theft. Even though we knew this, my daughter had her purse snatched by a distraction tactic.

Spent a whole day trying to find a police station that would deal with it, we had just arrived and her passport was in it, the British Consulate says it happens a lot.

Forewarned is forearmed, once she had sorted it all out, we had a lovely few days in the city.

1) Make sure you call your bank and credit card companies in advance, to let them know you'll be traveling in Europe. Some may ask for your detailed itinerary. Otherwise, you run the risk that a card might be denied. Lots of people use ATMs in Europe. We haven't done that, we usually figure out how many euros or pounds we'll need and get them in advance from our local bank. But we would do it if we run short.

2) It has been mentioned above, but be very careful of pickpockets in Europe, particularly in the big cities. Many are very skillful, some work in groups, some are children or mothers with babies. Many women buy a theft-proof purse such as PacSafe and wear it with the strap across their chest, others use a neck wallet that fits since your shirt. A travel company like Magellan's will give you lots of good ideas. A RFID wallet is also a good idea, protects against electronic scanning.

Do not check a bag. Each of us had a carry on rolling suitcase and a backpack. If your luggage gets lost - not good. I had a nylon cross body purse that I rolled up in my backpack and used while on excursions vs bringing my back pack. I packed a flat pair of sandals that could be dressy (maybe Fit Flops) and a pair of sneakers. All my clothes were either black, tan or white/cream so I could mix and match. Packing cubes and Downy wrinkle release spray work well. Bring a refillable water bottle for excursions (you can fill up on the ship), chip credit card, go in a couple days early if you can. I didn't even bring my big DSLR camera - my iPhone camera was great. Have fun!

Hi A.stew12305

Buy a pre paid debit card you can put as much or as little as you want on the card then us it as ATM card to get cash or as a credit card, a lot safer than cash.

Yours Shogun

My first experience at CC and a big WOW! My close knit local cruise family is now expanded into many. This has been good advice and I have enjoyed the websites for referrals. Now asking...... LeHavre is going to be a stop, please pitch in and give me the skinney on Normandy tours, cost wise and time wise. Book on ship or independent. How much time to devote?

Cheers!

When we last called at Le Havre we got a taxi (lots of them waiting by the ship) to take us to Honfleur, a delightful little seaside town which is typically French. We went with a couple who we met at the previous night's dinner and the cost per person was therefore low. We arranged a time with the driver for him to come and pick us up after a lovely day strolling through the sleepy streets and coming to a halt occasionally in coffee shops and seafront restaurant / bars. If you like that sort of thing I can recommend Honfleur.

I would not recommend you use Le Havre for Paris, which is often suggested by the cruise lines. Paris is a great city to walk round, but is at least 2.5 hours from the ship. You have no real chance to see any of the sights. Do Paris on a separate trip!

Hope this helps.

Can you just take cash? I don't think we qualify for any credit cards. :/

Yes, of course you can bring cash but it needs to be in euros or whatever currency you'll be using. Usually we figure out in advance how much we think we'll need and get it from our local bank before departure. We pay a fee but can convert any unused currency back after our trip for no additional fee. There are other places to get money changed at home,I'm sure others will chime in on this, but we like the convenience of our bank and are only getting some spending money, not the cost of the whole trip, so we wouldn't save a lot by shopping around for better rates. Then, we both carry cash in neck pockets for the flight over, and stash most of it in the safe once we board the ship. I also have a PacSafe purse for sightseeing. We have never been robbed but have heard from those who have on every European cruise we have done. It's easy to get careless and either have money in a backpack over your shoulder or a wallet in your pocket, both easy targets.

Well the good thing is that most of the advice I would have given has already been given....so I will restate a few of them as I believe they are important:

1. Pickpockets - they are pros so make sure you are always aware of your surroundings.....they will usually use some sort of diversion, so if you see some sort of commotion, walk away.

2. Arrive early - we normally arrive a few days before the cruise actually departs so that we can adjust to the time difference. The easiest way to adjust is to follow the following rule. Once you land, DO NOT SLEEP (even just a nap) until it is dark outside. Then sleep all night, and usually when you wake up in the morning after that long sleep, you will be adjusted.

3. Know what currencies you need in the countries that you are visiting. For most European cruises, the Euro works fine. However, if you are on a Baltics cruise, you will need multiple currencies.

4. Research the ports of call prior to arriving there......the first time we cruised in Europe, we didn't do our research, and now as we look back, we realize that we missed a lot.....but that's ok...just gives us reason to go back!!! :-)

5. Comfortable walking shoes.....you will walk alot, so make sure you have them....also, in churches and cathedrals...which you will visit....shoulders and knees must be covered at all times so dress appropriately if you are on tours that go to those places or they will not let you in.

Hi A.stew12305

Buy a pre paid debit card you can put as much or as little as you want on the card then us it as ATM card to get cash or as a credit card, a lot safer than cash.

Yours Shogun

Thank you, I will look into that!