lifeboat drill on NCL Gem

sioutpost

It was also 3pm for us in February.

I have to say, NCL really dropped the ball on our muster drill. Our muster station was in the Grand Pacific (the big MDR) and no one ever told the zillion people inside to be quiet and listen. You could not really hear the announcements, and there were not enough crew members demonstrating how to put on a life jacket for everyone to be able to see. It was appalling. I can't imagine what the first time cruisers who happened to be sitting at our table thought or learned.

It's about the only time I've been on a cruise ship where I did not think those in charge were taking the muster drill seriously. I made a point of speaking to the ship's safety officer about it; when I suggested that there needed to be silence rather than chaos during the actual drill, he looked surprised. :eek:

I will be sailing on the Gem in a few months....can you tell me how they do their drill...Do you go to a lounge or out to the boats...Also do you take your life vest with you...Went on a Carnival Cruise and they made you take your vest and go to a lounge but then had everyone go to the boat deck and put on a vest...It took almost an hour!!! With Princess you go to a lounge and then put on your vest

I will be sailing on the Gem in a few months....can you tell me how they do their drill...Do you go to a lounge or out to the boats...Also do you take your life vest with you...Went on a Carnival Cruise and they made you take your vest and go to a lounge but then had everyone go to the boat deck and put on a vest...It took almost an hour!!! With Princess you go to a lounge and then put on your vest

You go to an indoor muster station (MDR, theatre, etc.), and you do not bring your life jacket. I think most cruise lines do it that way now.

Edited by Turtles06

There is a letter on your key card and that is the muster station. It could be held in a dining room, lounge or the theater, etc. No life vest. Lasts about 10 minutes if that, takes longer to get people in and out of room.

There is a letter on your key card and that is the muster station. It could be held in a dining room, lounge or the theater, etc. No life vest. Lasts about 10 minutes if that, takes longer to get people in and out of room.

Well said, and exactly the case!