where to stay for pre cruise stay in new orleans

splintz

i am thinking of taking a 5 day cruise on the triumph out of new orleans. i would like to fly in early and spend 2 nights in new orleans preferably some where close to bourbon st. i have never been to new orleans and i don't even know if the port is anywhere close to bourbon street. any help would be greatly appreciated.

i am thinking of taking a 5 day cruise on the triumph out of new orleans. i would like to fly in early and spend 2 nights in new orleans preferably some where close to bourbon st. i have never been to new orleans and i don't even know if the port is anywhere close to bourbon street. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The port is a short taxi ride from Bourbon St. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard near the French Quarter. Walking distance to Bourbon St. Nice property.

You can stay in the French Quarter (nearest to and including Bourbon Street). OR you can stay in the CBD just a few blocks from the French Quarter. The city is very pedestrian friendly and there is cheap public transportation available all throughout this area. ($3 all day pass for all busses and streetcars).

A couple suggestions. JW Marriott is just a couple blocks from the foot of Bourbon St. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn on Gravier Street that is nice. I've stayed in both and enjoyed both.

Any of these hotels will be about a $10 taxi ride to the port. $32 flat rate to or from the airport for 1-4 people.

Edited by Human Speedbump

thank you guys so much. i have a few more quick questions.

-how big is bourbon street and does it matter what part your hotel is by. just want to hit the bars and party.

-also how far is bourbon street from the airport. what will a taxi or uber cost.

-besides drinking on bourbon street where else should i go to do the tourist thing. also any must go to restaurants while i am there.

Edited by splintz

Bourbon street is maybe a half mile of bars and strip clubs and restaurants and novelty shops. It starts at Canal Street.

A cab from the airport will be $32. The airport is about a 25 minute ride most days. I'm not sure about Uber in New Orleans, last I heard Uber Black is the only available option, but I could be wrong.

The French market, Cafe Dumond, Jackson Square are all in close proximity to the Bourbon Street. Also you can catch a streetcar on Canal Street and ride it all the way out St Charles Ave. Past Loyola and Tulane universities, very scenic ride. Magazine and Prytania Streets offer a nice walking shopping and local bar hopping experience also.

Tell me what your budget is and I'll tell you where the good food in that price range is at. There really is great food in every price range in this city.

Edited by Human Speedbump

thanks for the info. i greatly appreciate it. as far as the restaurants. since we are on vacation especially a place like new orleans where we probably will never get back to. no budget well i say that but hopefully not more then $400 for dinner for 2 with some cocktails.

You can't go wrong with these....

GW Finns on Bienville St. Will get you in and out for about $150-200 with cocktails. I've never been disappointed there. You will need a reservation most nights. Occasionally they offer a Pre-fixe menu around $50pp but I don't like those limitations if I'm going fine dining.

Restaurant R'evolution, also on Bienville will run you about $250-300 with a decent bottle of vino. This is white tablecloth fancy dining at its best in New Orleans. Reservation needed.

Peche is on Julia Street in the Warehouse district. It offers utterly fantastic seafood, it's a great atmosphere too. Reservations needed.

Here is a link to a local food blogger in New Orleans, in case you want to go hog wild and eat like a local....

https://arseinclarse.wordpress.com/