Sail in 13 days too late to buy insurance?

emod20

Regarding US Coastguard evacuations, not all accidents and serious illnesses occur on the ship or at sea.

I'm pretty sure that the USCG doesn't evacuate US citizens out of foreign countries because they are sick or had an accident.

Thanks group I did it on insure my trip. Turns out that was who I used in November

I didn't buy it for years, but once I woke up I do. I didn't understand what it covered except getting to port. I hate to part with the money, but it really is money well spent even if it's mental security. Kind of like carrying auto insurance or house insurance for that time something might happen.

Regarding US Coastguard evacuations, not all accidents and serious illnesses occur on the ship or at sea.

I'm pretty sure that the USCG doesn't evacuate US citizens out of foreign countries because they are sick or had an accident.

That's why the ships get diverted directly to a port instead of being airlifted or transported by a boat like if stateside.

Glad you got it emod. See you in 13 days on ship. Woo hoo!

Great Emod...glad you thought and got it covered. With medical air transport so little to pay for so much relief...Say Coast guard could get you one place and then you have to go another...now of course all will be fine and have a great trip.

Here in Montana in a matter of 2.5 weeks we had to airlift mom from Bozeman to Billings and then Bozeman to Spokane where she passed. It all happened a week after her last big trip a covered cruise LOL. The total in 2012 for those 2 life flights was over 50,000.00 and while covered by her insurance here and needed here it still took a year to dicker it out...Never leave it just to Coast Guard and all the other covered things..so worth it. At the very least always get extra medical and evac and spouse/friend to go with you coverage..so much can happen in one day let alone 13.

Edited by sjn911

Glad you got it emod. See you in 13 days on ship. Woo hoo!

Great Emod...glad you thought and got it covered. With medical air transport so little to pay for so much relief...Say Coast guard could get you one place and then you have to go another, glad you over-ruled that thought...now of course all will be fine and have a great trip.

Here in Montana in a matter of 2.5 weeks we had to airlift mom from Bozeman to Billings and then Bozeman to Spokane where she passed. Then way more to funeral expenses getting her body ready to air home, that cost, and another state's death certificates involved...you never know the uncanny expensive horrible details. It all started a day after her last big trip a covered cruise LOL. The total in 2012 for those 2 life flights alone was over 50,000.00 and while covered here on her health ins. it took a year to dicker it out...Never leave it just to Coast Guard and all the other covered things..so worth it. At the very least always get extra medical and evac and spouse/friend to go with you coverage if you forgo covering a "cheap cruise"..so much can happen in one day let alone 13. Details given for thought as to what can happen.

Edited by sjn911

I just did a mock insurance booking for a trip I have planned in Oct. and I've never bought it before. Does 109.00 sound about right for a 1300.00 trip cost 4 people 5 days and a mid level policy? I'm not looking for exact just does it sound like it's in the ballpark?

Medical Evacuation from the Ship????

In this instance, anywhere the Valor sails, any medical evacuation from the ship will be performed by the US Coast Guard. These services are free.

Unless the ship debarks you in some some place like Grand Turk, Jamaica, or who knows where... Then I want to get back the good old U.S.A. ASAP...

I just did a mock insurance booking for a trip I have planned in Oct. and I've never bought it before. Does 109.00 sound about right for a 1300.00 trip cost 4 people 5 days and a mid level policy? I'm not looking for exact just does it sound like it's in the ballpark?

Yes.

Unless the ship debarks you in some some place like Grand Turk, Jamaica, or who knows where... Then I want to get back the good old U.S.A. ASAP...

You have to be careful here, as many insurers (I believe including Carnival's VPP) only transport you to the nearest "adequate" facility to treat your condition - you don't get to choose where you're transported. Ken

I have purchased cruise insurance for years. Initially, I got it because my parents were elderly and I was afraid that if something happened while we were away, it could be an expensive trip home.

I then kept purchasing the insurance even after my parents passed. On one cruise, I ended up with shingles and the cost of the doctor visit and meds was about $400. My medical insurance did not cover me out of the country, so I paid the cruise line and then was reimbursed.

Another time, my husband developed pneumonia a couple of weeks before the cruise and even though he was out of the hospital, his doctor wouldn't allow him to go on the cruise. We got all our money back sans the insurance fees.

We had another cruise scheduled and a week before the cruise, my husband passed away. Once again, a total refund except for the insurance fees.

I would never go on a cruise without insurance. It is important though to really look at the policies before purchasing. I don't buy insurance through the cruise line as the medical evacuation is too low.

I did learn a hard lesson on my last cruise. I fell on the ship and broke my arm. I also had other problems from the fall. To make a long story short, I was treated by the ship's doctor and upon my return to NOLA, I was taken by ambulance to a hospital for x-rays, a CT scan etc.

I was not able to travel home the following day as one arm was in a brace, the other was basically numb. I ended up going by train to AL with my sister and her husband. I stayed there for a few days and had to pay over $500 for my return airfare. I also had to pay a copay for doctor visits and physical therapy.

The insurance co, which was Nationwide would NOT pay for my train fees, airplane fees, hotel for the nights I couldn't travel because I did not get a letter from the emergency room doctor stating I couldn't travel that day. I did submit all the info from the hospital, but because nothing stated IN WRITING that I couldn't travel, the insurance co refused to pay.

I have other cruises scheduled and I have learned that no insurance that I have looked at would pay AFTER the cruise ended unless I have something in writing, or had I had the insurance coverage until a few days later, charges that I incurred would have been covered. I will now have coverage with the return date a few days after I initially plan to come home. I have always purchased the insurance for a couple of days prior to the cruise as we always went to the embarkation location at least a day before, but in the case of San Juan or NOLA, a couple of days so we could enjoy the time there.

Sorry for the long post, but I want people to know that it does make sense to buy the insurance even though on another thread, someone called people who purchase insurance suckers. to each his own.

Sorry for my long post too but I surely appreciated all here. I learn a detail every time...

Suffice it to say one may goof on covering, they almost set it up that way....but if most things are thought about in this tiny thread..{(now I will include....especially that doctors note at end and adding a few days or being sure delays are covered; thanks Katie53)....sorry for your losses}...it is just something huge unless you can self-insure a couple 100,000 for each person.

Occasionally Murphy's law hits and medical decisions on a heart and many surprise deals are very difficult and hard to switch to hospice mode even at home let alone on another island, town or country with lesser options. The expenses then just pile trying to help a loved one and things quickly go to pot.

This was a short GREAT THREAD emod20..you gave many a great favor.

Edited by sjn911

I was wondering if anyone has purchased Carnivals Cruise Vacation Protection plan? It looks like it waives the nonrefundable portion of the ticket contract. So, am I right in thinking you get your money back if you have to cancel. Is it better to go with a third party pan?

I was wondering if anyone has purchased Carnivals Cruise Vacation Protection plan? It looks like it waives the nonrefundable portion of the ticket contract. So, am I right in thinking you get your money back if you have to cancel. Is it better to go with a third party pan?

Truly there are less issues with a well thought out 3rd party plan. Get someone mentioned here you can call and talk to for coverage you want. That puts someone more on your side...you always have to fend for yourself..even with an insurance company...but short answer..YES...you do not want to insure with someone making money and more or less aligned with whom you may need recompense.

Insure my trip was very easy to use online. Now I don't have to worry about ins. Issues but can focus on the important things. Like which drink will I order first on Lido deck. :D

If you cancel for he reasons stated in the Crnival Policy, you'll get your money back; if you cancel for anyu other, not included, reasons, you get a 75% future cruise CREDIT.

The third party policies are normally less expensive and way higher and broader coverages than Carnival's VPP; you really should purchase them w/in 14-21 days of booking in order to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and the opportunity to additionally purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage.

Ken

Insure my trip was very easy to use online. Now I don't have to worry about ins. Issues but can focus on the important things. Like which drink will I order first on Lido deck. :D

I like them too, and they are easy to call......craving a Vodka Chi Chi my first tropical drink I learned in Hawaii that I want anywhere. Pineapple juice, sweet coconut syrup, ice, Vodka..blend...best with a Orchid on top but Pineapple slice and cherry on a toothpick and or umbrella is ok too. Happy planning now and have a great trip.

Edited by sjn911

Do you really think something will go wrong in the next 13 days? I wouldn't even bother unless you have a sick family member that may pass.

2 years ago, on the shuttle to the ship, my sister's 11 year old granddaughter had a grand mal seizure, had never had one in her life or ever been sick before. She had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital and they missed the cruise, though their luggage went and enjoyed it! Thankfully, they did have insurance which covered it all. There is also the issue if something happens to you while on the ship or in a port. Accidents and illnesses happen. Insurance can be a life saver.

Thought I would pop in here and offer another option that hasn't been discussed. I've never insured an actual cruise because I always figure that the money has already been spent so obviously I can afford to lose it. However as many here have pointed out Evacuation can be rather expensive. Like many here I'm on a Medicare Advantage policy and it covers emergency medical but not urgent and does not cover evac. So I picked up a GeoBlue policy good for one year for both myself and my DW. The cost was about $200 for my age and will go up slightly in a couple of years. It covers urgent care and emergency evac. I average about 110 nights a year cruising so this is a much better deal than buying individual policies for individual cruises.

Hope this helps someone here.

I think we are used to going on vacations in the states. And we rely on our car and health insurance. And usually the hotel we book is there when we arrive. Lol its is never delayed in getting to itsee address. And for us who cruise so many people and different ships the delays and emergency are few and far between. So we assume things will be ok. There were cruises I didn't get insurance and I was lucky. I now feel more comfortable getting the insurance. And it takes away a worry I don't want on vacation. It just bugs me when something does happen people think carnival should pay for everything. It is just the me me society we live in. I also feel better getting to port a day early and stay a day after. Thats what works best for me .