20 year olds and alcohol on ncl

hummy0605

Were they able to just get beer or wine or could they get spirits or cocktails? Did they cut or mark their cards to show they were under 21?

They were able to drink any kind of alcohol including spirits and cocktails. No cut corner on card. The only thing they can't do is have or purchase the ultimate beverage package. There is no form needed. I'm positive on this for Europe sailing for my 20 year-old.

Edited by littlelulu01

No alcoholic packages for anyone under 21, even with parental consent.

Young adults (18-20) can, and in some rare cases, must purchase the Corks & Caps package on European itineraries. (I know this is not relevant for the poster you were responding to.) This is one area where the UK and EU sites go into a lot more detail than the US site.

Young adults (18-20) can, and in some rare cases, must purchase the Corks & Caps package on European itineraries. (I know this is not relevant for the poster you were responding to.) This is one area where the UK and EU sites go into a lot more detail than the US site.

This is actually quite interesting (and new info to me) as US site specifically states that even Corks and Caps is unavailable for passengers under 21:

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol." (emphasis mine)

https://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

Edited by Demonyte

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol."

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Also in promo terms:

"Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package."

No alcoholic packages for anyone under 21, even with parental consent.

I understand they have to be 21 to buy a package but the brochure i have and booked from clearly states "guests over 18 on european round trip sailings can consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round trip european voyages without having to complete a parental waiver form.

Now they are trying to say that the travellers who have their parents with them can fill a form in and have beer or wine but the boyfriend who is accompanying us cannot have any alcohol at all.

This is NOT what is in the brochure we booked from - i am on the phone to ncl as we speak:mad:

I understand they have to be 21 to buy a package but the brochure i have and booked from clearly states "guests over 18 on european round trip sailings can consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round trip european voyages without having to complete a parental waiver form.

Now they are trying to say that the travellers who have their parents with them can fill a form in and have beer or wine but the boyfriend who is accompanying us cannot have any alcohol at all.

This is NOT what is in the brochure we booked from - i am on the phone to ncl as we speak:mad:

My reply that you quoted was not a reply to your question, I already answered your question completely in post #5 in this thread, please read that again.

If you're too wound up to read it, it states that you're completely fine and have absolutely no reason to be madly on the phone to NCL because of this matter. (Also any brochure you have does not matter at all.)

Edited by Demonyte

Firstly i apologise for replying with the quote - i thought if you wanted to reply to a conversation you clicked reply to carry on the conversation. I thought the icon used meant i was mad (like on texts emojis) but apologise if this isn't the case.

I am speaking to ncl now (calmly) and he is also in possesion of the same brochure and wording even though the new brochures say beer and wine the old one doesn't. He has confirmed the 18-20 year olds don't need a waiver form completing with or without a parent being there and are sending me an email to this effect so we don't have problems on ship if they want a waiver form filled in. Even though the brochure says they are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages on a round trip european sailing they are now saying the rule is only beer or wine.

I know people will just say chill out and stop looking for problems with ncl before you go but having been on various european sailings and not having this problem wish we had just stuck with rci - as i have 10 other people keep asking me what the position is i will need another break after this one

Firstly i apologise for replying with the quote - i thought if you wanted to reply to a conversation you clicked reply to carry on the conversation. I thought the icon used meant i was mad (like on texts emojis) but apologise if this isn't the case.

I am speaking to ncl now (calmly) and he is also in possesion of the same brochure and wording even though the new brochures say beer and wine the old one doesn't. He has confirmed the 18-20 year olds don't need a waiver form completing with or without a parent being there and are sending me an email to this effect so we don't have problems on ship if they want a waiver form filled in. Even though the brochure says they are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages on a round trip european sailing they are now saying the rule is only beer or wine.

I know people will just say chill out and stop looking for problems with ncl before you go but having been on various european sailings and not having this problem wish we had just stuck with rci - as i have 10 other people keep asking me what the position is i will need another break after this one

Unfortunately/Fortunately? you cannot take the NCL CSR's word for being the final, they do not have all of the information and give out a lot of wrong answers. I would believe the poster above who was 20 and was on the Europe cruise and could order whatever they wanted.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Remember that 90% of the posters on the boards are posting about cruises in the Caribbean or out of the US.

According to the current brochure the rule has not changed. Passengers on European round trip cruises who are 18 and older can consume alcoholic beverages without the approval or presence of a parent. So it seems that you you have no worries.

That's also how I read and understood it but ncl have just said they don't need a form but can only drink beer or wine ( doesn't say that for european trips) so they don't like beer or wine so snookered really

I was 18 when I sailed on the Epic in Europe and was able to drink with my friend who was also 18. My parents didn't sign any kind of waiver for us to be able to drink.

Did they mark your cards or did it just depend on any wait staff you got. Also was it just beer or wine or did you get spirits/cocktails?

This is actually quite interesting (and new info to me) as US site specifically states that even Corks and Caps is unavailable for passengers under 21:
Maybe the rules are actually different according to which NCL regional office you book with. These days very few people are buying the UBP, but it seems like at some point we would have heard complaints from Americans about being forced to buy wine/beer packages for their underage children on European cruises.