Formal/semi formal dress for child

Suzcruise97

I'm starting to pack for an upcoming trip on the Fantasy and am not sure what would be most appropriate for formal/ semi formal nights for my 3 year old daughter...princess dresses or traditional dresses. Is there a difference between the two nights?

Thanks!

Suz

I can tell you from experience with two daughters that the Disney Princess dresses take up a lot more room in the suitcase and get glitter all over the place. Not to mention the extra shoes! This is dad speaking here though, LOL!

I can tell you from experience with two daughters that the Disney Princess dresses take up a lot more room in the suitcase and get glitter all over the place. Not to mention the extra shoes! This is dad speaking here though, LOL!

The dresses are mostly tulle and smash easily. Pack them inside a pillow case to avoid getting glitter everywhere. Or....this mom made the dresses out of quality fabrics rather than cheap glitter. Looked better, more durable, washable, etc. She LOVED wearing the dresses I made to Disney because the CMs were so complimentary about them. Now I'm the one with the dress up outfit that deposits glitter everywhere (groan).

The dresses are mostly tulle and smash easily. Pack them inside a pillow case to avoid getting glitter everywhere. Or....this mom made the dresses out of quality fabrics rather than cheap glitter. Looked better' date=' more durable, washable, etc. She LOVED wearing the dresses I made to Disney because the CMs were so complimentary about them. Now I'm the one with the dress up outfit that deposits glitter everywhere (groan).[/quote']

No idea what the Disney ones are made out of. Just know that they make my credit card start to smoke; although I have been assured that they are cheaper to buy in advance than at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique onboard. Fortunately (or unfortunately) only one of our daughters is still in the princess phase. The other is gagging at the thought of packing dresses to wear for dinner.

No idea what the Disney ones are made out of. Just know that they make my credit card start to smoke; although I have been assured that they are cheaper to buy in advance than at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique onboard. Fortunately (or unfortunately) only one of our daughters is still in the princess phase. The other is gagging at the thought of packing dresses to wear for dinner.

Hee hee

Yes, cheaper in advance. Cheapest right after Halloween if you are looking for those by Disney.

Thanks everyone...looks like I will be packing some princess dresses (in a separate garment bag). I would have one VERY unhappy little girl if she showed up for dinner in a regular outfit and saw Elsas and Cinderellas everywhere.

Thanks everyone...looks like I will be packing some princess dresses (in a separate garment bag). I would have one VERY unhappy little girl if she showed up for dinner in a regular outfit and saw Elsas and Cinderellas everywhere.

There is also the Princess Gathering (tickets free, get them right after boarding as they run out. Usually tickets are at Port Adventures--check Welcome Aboard Navigator as sometimes they are at Guest Services). That's another big time for the dresses. And of course there are those girls who wear them all the time.

Not only at dinner. I saw Princesses all day long and they always put a big smile on my face. And when a CM says" good morning Princess" to a little girl it was magical watching her response. Have fun.

when a CM says" good morning Princess" to a little girl it was magical watching her response .

THAT is what I looking forward too with my granddaughter! At 3 she can now wear the proper princess dresses and I choke up when I see her at home. Im going to loose it when she is treated like a princess (by strangers) on board. :):)

I'm guessing she will only wear dresses at the princess party and on the formal and s formal nights... Now I'm not sure how many dresses should I be packing for a 7 day cruise? These things are massive!!! Are two enough? She can obviously re-wear them...assuming we have no food catastrophes at dinner.

Can any experienced cruisers with small princesses tell me what they do? We already own a ton of Disney dresses, so I really do not want to run out on the ship and have to purchase a marked up one.

We met one little princess who told me she had a different dress for each night of the cruise. And remember, those who dress like princesses often act like them--great behavior at dinner is lovely.

I'd pack as many as you can reasonably fit in the luggage. We don't know anything about your transportation, etc. I'd probably consider things differently if I was paying a $25 or $35 luggage fee for each bag and using private transportation to the port vs. if I was flying Southwest and taking the DCL bus to the cruise terminal. Southwest = free bags on plane and DCL bus = luggage handling included in transportation fee. Plenty of under the bed storage space in the cabin.

Depending on what kind of princess dresses you have (washable?), you can do laundry on the ship or send them to the laundry to be done for a really reasonable fee. Honestly, dry cleaning on the ships is cheaper than what I pay at home!

I'm guessing she will only wear dresses at the princess party and on the formal and s formal nights... Now I'm not sure how many dresses should I be packing for a 7 day cruise? These things are massive!!! Are two enough? She can obviously re-wear them...assuming we have no food catastrophes at dinner.

Can any experienced cruisers with small princesses tell me what they do? We already own a ton of Disney dresses, so I really do not want to run out on the ship and have to purchase a marked up one.

Chances are you daughter will see some kids dressed up on nights she isn't.

If that would make her one VERY unhappy little girl, then you should bring a dress for each night, just incase she decides to dress up for photo opportunities.

As you say about food catastrophes, telling her that wearing that dress again is dependent on not getting food on it is not going to happen with the best will in the world! lol! so dry cleaning is your only option.

There is the Pirate night to think of, so could she maybe be persuaded to wear a Pirate outfit or you could buy her a cute girls Pirate type outfit so that night?

I think it is best you pay the baggage charge of an extra suitcase and bring a dress for each night except the Pirate night, along with a Pirate costume.

They are only little once, so don't miss those once in a lifetime opportunities to make you daughter smile from ear to ear and create memories that will last a lifetime!

ex techie