Don't Escape to Coki Beach!

bluefish17

Just a warning about my recent day trip to Coki Beach from the NCL Escape.

I knew it would be crowded with 5 ships in port. I had never been to Coki though.

I thought since the escape is the first ship to dock that day, I'd go early and then leave about 1-1:30.

Got there about 9:45am. Told beach lady I wanted a good spot. Got 2 loungers and umbrella , 1st row. She said it was a good spot because no one would be in front of you. This was straight down the stairs when you first go on the beach.

Within an hour it was very crowded. By 11:30am, it was a zoo. They just kept carrying more loungers and chairs out and forcing them into any available space. They squeezed 4 loungers and an umbrella directly in front of us for a family of 6. The people beside of us, who had just put down beach towels, were out swimming while kids and adults walked over their towels and backpacks.

At that point, I thought "why throw away more money here on lunch?", so we left and caught a cab back to the ship. Best decision I made all day. I cringed seeing taxi after taxi carrying more people there as we got out.

My advice? Go somewhere else less well known. Maybe Sapphire. If you must go to Coki, don't take a spot close to the main entrance steps. When you hit the beach, turn left and go all the way to the end. It was less crowded down there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

People who come on a ship all want to go to a beautiful beach that isn't crowded But when you come on a ship YOU are the crowd and no matter where you go is going to be more crowded than usual

If you want to visit beautiful uncrowded beaches you can't come on a cruise and expect to find them

5 ships in port and yes the beaches in St. Thomas are going to feel it.:eek:

Thanks for mentioning to move down away from the entrance. I'll keep that in mind.

Can't wait to be there in May. I love the local food, fried fish, rice and beans, plantains.:D